HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:31 PM
Attention to the small details
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,782 Posts
The advice is to load dev r1240 to set up the MTK-3329 GPS ONLY - and NOT to fly dev r1240 has been overlooked by a LOT of people who read selectively and do not pay attention. The same people then encounter lots of problems they created.

Again loading dev r1240 is ONLY TO SET UP MTK-3329 GPS easily - You do not fly dev r1240 as it is a DEVELOPMENT VERSION with untested bugs.you should be loading and flying the latest RELEASE version of Multiwii

If you have switched from another FC or if you have gone back and forth trying Multiwii and MP NG then you DO NEED TO correctly set trim and set the endpoints on your RC Tx, then RECALIBRATE ALL YOUR ESC one at a time using the Throttle output from you Receiver connected directly to each ESC ONE AT A TIME with Props REMOVED and NOT some other so called easier method,

Ignore this advice and you will encounter a lot of frustration, broken propellers etc, hair loss and most likely lose your sanity!
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Dec 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Dec 2012
11 Posts
Quick question which i am unsure of, can i connect all the esc's with all three wires or will this overload the board? I think with the receiver i must connect only signal wires except for the throttle where i supply ground and power but am unsure of the esc.
Zodaz is offline Find More Posts by Zodaz
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:48 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodaz View Post
Quick question which i am unsure of, can i connect all the esc's with all three wires or will this overload the board? I think with the receiver i must connect only signal wires except for the throttle where i supply ground and power but am unsure of the esc.
Best to connect only the signal wires from the esc's.
Use a separate ubec to power the board.
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:41 AM
United States, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2012
7 Posts
OK. I got everything hooked up per Jabram's instruction and set up with Multiwii 2.1, all sensors seem to be working. However, I do have a problem. ESC/motor won't arm. (not the arming/disarming the throttle)
Once I hook up the main power all 4 motors keeps on a fast beep never stop. I have tested the 4 esc/motor invidvidually without attaching to the Mega board. and they are fine.
What am I missing here?
Again, newbie for multiwii here, any help is appreciated
kaos0306 is offline Find More Posts by kaos0306
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:00 AM
Attention to the small details
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos0306 View Post
OK. I got everything hooked up per Jabram's instruction and set up with Multiwii 2.1, all sensors seem to be working. However, I do have a problem. ESC/motor won't arm. (not the arming/disarming the throttle)
Once I hook up the main power all 4 motors keeps on a fast beep never stop. I have tested the 4 esc/motor invidvidually without attaching to the Mega board. and they are fine.
What am I missing here?
Again, newbie for multiwii here, any help is appreciated
Your ESC, are they Simonk Flashed ? or not.

For SimonK flashed ESC you may have to alter the code in config.h

Quote:
/**************************** Motor minthrottle *******************************/
/* Set the minimum throttle command sent to the ESC (Electronic Speed Controller)
This is the minimum value that allow motors to run at a idle speed */
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1300 // for Turnigy Plush ESCs 10A
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1120 // for Super Simple ESCs 10A
#define MINTHROTTLE 1064 // special ESC (simonk)
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1150
and this - could be your ESC are not arming specially if they are SimonK flashed

Quote:
/**************************** Mincommand *******************************/
/* this is the value for the ESCs when they are not armed
in some cases, this value must be lowered down to 900 for some specific ESCs, otherwise they failed to initiate */
#define MINCOMMAND 900 // was originally 1000
If the ESC are not calibrated OR if they don't see a low enough value they may not arm.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Dec 18, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:00 AM
Joined Dec 2012
11 Posts
Thanks BigJimNZ, got it working. I have another issue. When i move the quad-copter (forward and Backward) it tends to rise (gain altitude) pretty fast. Its like it is over compensating for the expected loss in altitude when titling. How do i reduce this and how do i reduce the quad sensitivity?
Zodaz is offline Find More Posts by Zodaz
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Dec 2012
7 Posts
Jabram:
my ESC is Hobbywing 18A with with BEC. I don't know whether they are SimonK flashed.
I was wondering about the ESC command as well:
#define MINCOMMAND 900 // was originally 1000

just did not how to change it (newbie ). thx I will give it a try and report back.

Edit: that worked. change //difine mincommand 900 armed the motors.
thx Jabram.
now I am able tp tune up the quad.
Last edited by kaos0306; Dec 18, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:15 AM
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv-tor View Post
hi guys. just got my board up and running on a guad. gps is working and is getting a good satelite reception. but nothing happend when i activate alt and pos hold. anything im missing? new to multiwii btw
You must also activate "level" in GUI.
frj79 is offline Find More Posts by frj79
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Dec 2012
7 Posts
OK, next step. I had all the motors running. but on winconf the 4 motors has uneven bars, I tried to adjust them (throttle up, right stick in each direction), there is always this front right motor can not be evened. Then I checked the ACC, BARO, MAG in Aux2, to have them active all the time (high, low, mid). then it changed to the front left throttle bar is always lower. Can't get all 4 motors have even throttle bar. What am I doing wrong? All these were done with the quad sitting perfectly still on my desk.

the other question about use ext ESC only to reduce noises. by eleminate 8 ground wires already, why not just plug in one of the ESC all 3 wires as a back up ESC. if the ext ESC fails, the one ESC to motor that is plugged in will be a back up.
Again this is just a bewbie's question.

All motor seems to be very balanced, why power up the gyro line is very flat, except the Yaw gyro line raised but even, is this normal? Alll my blades are perfectly balanced, ready to do test fly after the motor throttle bar problem resolved.

oh, another question, from what I read you can only change ACRO to STABLE by stick movement, how do you do that in flight by putting throttle all the way down? Can this be programed to use a switch on Tx to change?

I did notice one interesting thing, when I put '#define MINCOMMAND 900 ' in config.h the motor started to initialize but when arming, it only takes a split sec of the throttle stick to the bottom right to arm it. very often that can be done by accident. I change to 950, now I need to put the throttle stick to the lower corners by holding it just a half sec or so to arm/disarm. Which eliminated the chance to arm/disarm by accident. (that happened while I was playing with Winconf with different parameters)
Last edited by kaos0306; Dec 20, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:57 PM
United States, VA, Lynchburg
Joined Dec 2003
40 Posts
I'm trying to get this board working with ppm sum / cppm / whatever you call it.

I see the line in config.h where you un comment for the type that you have. And uncommented the appropriate line.

I have a frsky d8r-xp receiver.

Which pin on this board is the right one to connect the single servo cable to?
ki4aoa is offline Find More Posts by ki4aoa
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:16 AM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
so I know I am going to get a lot of crap for posting this but I have to. So...buying this board. You are not getting a plug and play board. You have to program it...not just to set rotation or motor lay out but nearly everything from start to finish. Basically you need to be an advanced user that likes to program their toys before they can play with them and buying this unit for the GPS means you also have to tell it that it has a GPS on board in order to use the GPS you buy in the package version?

So a guy like me that isn't familiar with needing...hint hint... I said needing... to program it before you can do anything with it isn't going to benefit from this board?

After all said and done I would be better off getting a cheap useless board that at least can make the motors turn out of the box, no program NEEDED.

I dont mean to sound stupid. I am just not advanced as some of you people are.
And my frustration lies in the fact that I have this board and so far the only thing it does is make pretty lights and beeps when power is applied.

So far I found nothing on the net except that if you don't down load this, down load that, figure out how to make it see your board when it is connected to the computer, hope you have the right stuff, plug it in ( no instructions except what pins to plug the motors in) and then pray like hell that you have some programing skills or have been doing this kind of thing for a long time and understand all of the abbreviated words or have a dictionary that explains what everything means when people stop spelling out their words and only use code.

I got into multi's for the fun of it and so far it has been nothing but a nightmare.

I used the KK2 for the first run and so far it has not done any thing but spin the props and run off. I have done everything the "experts" have said to do and it will do nothing more than look cool on my desk.

I got this new FC and so far I have spent the better part of the day reading abbreviations, down loading GUI's FLASH code, read "how to's" that are not even coming close to showing me why I cant get the thing to even spin my props and wondering why the heck did I buy something that takes an advanced degree in programing when all I see are professionals say "Out of the box, hooked up and floating like a cloud".

Am I just so unlucky that I can buy nothing but broken boards?
I am not an idot. I am sure there are going to be people reading this laughing and snorting saying, "What an idiot" but then again... before they got experienced at this I am sure they were right square where I am.

So...

The reason for this is.

Do I seriously need to program this board before I can use it and if so... how well does it resell for on EBAY?
alwaysconfused is offline Find More Posts by alwaysconfused
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:34 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
1,897 Posts
I think you need to do some more research and reading. The code looks more complicate than it is. You only need to change a few line. It's a matter of deleting a few // and that's it's. The rest is changing some number on the GUI.

Read the first post again and start over. Download new files. Look for the lines to remove the //
TheFernMan is offline Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:48 AM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
So... I dont have any of the tabs you have. Why? I have done exactly as you specify in your tutorial. I get nothing like you have except the original file in sketch.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:58 AM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
I think you need to do some more research and reading. The code looks more complicate than it is. You only need to change a few line. It's a matter of deleting a few // and that's it's. The rest is changing some number on the GUI.

Read the first post again and start over. Download new files. Look for the lines to remove the //
Ok. Thanks. I will search through google to see where those "\\" are that I need to remove.

Oh and I still need to find a manual, tutorial or something to explain why my $70 FC wont even run my motors. Then I can worry about the GPS.

And I think I am just going to go with DJI too while I am at it. Anyone want a FC that hasn't even left my desk top yet? I think I will buy a FC that doesnt need all this drama in order to fly...
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:38 AM
R/C ruined me, But i have fun!
Denmark, Nordjylland, Nørresundby
Joined Jan 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysconfused View Post
Ok. Thanks. I will search through google to see where those "\\" are that I need to remove.

Oh and I still need to find a manual, tutorial or something to explain why my FC wont even run my motors. Then I can worry about the GPS.

And I think I am just going to go with DJI too while I am at it. Anyone want a FC that hasn't even left my desk top yet? I think I will buy a FC that doesnt need all this drama in order to fly...
Don't give up already! This is an amazing board if you are willing to spend a little time with it. If you go and get the 2.1 multiwii package. And open up the sketch in the Arduino program, you'll see some tabs at the top. Choose the one that's named "Config.h" Now go to http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...PS_Module.html
And open up the "files" tab at the bottom. There you'll find many configuration files explaining what you need to uncomment in the "Config.h" sketch. And by uncomment i mean delete the // in front of a line.
I hope this helps a little

/Martin
ParamiLL is offline Find More Posts by ParamiLL