HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:37 AM
Joined May 2010
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
Are you sure you're on the right com port?
Fern - good catch.

DOE, can you post a screen shots of your

a) Arduino > Tools > Board and
b) Arduino > Tools > Serial Port
c) Device Manager > Ports (LPT Com)
majik01 is offline Find More Posts by majik01
Last edited by majik01; Dec 06, 2012 at 10:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined May 2010
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoydad View Post
majik got the basic setup figured out now moving on to gps enable ..thanks mucho you the man
Pinoy ... Post #262 has a short how-to for the GPS and two methods to configure the GPS using the MKT tool and the MWC dev release in case your GPS is not properly configured..
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:06 PM
R/C ruined me, But i have fun!
Denmark, Nordjylland, Nørresundby
Joined Jan 2012
42 Posts
Help!

Hey everyone!

ive been flying this board a few times on a Flitetest-inspired H-copter. And when i doesn't touch the sticks very much it flies nice and quiet. But when i turn the sticks (not throttle) a little over 20-30% of their total movement the quadcopter tends to make a weird movement as if the back right motor loses power. It flips back right and i have to correct it by moving the stick in the other direction. THen i have to land and press the "reset" button on the board and i can fly like 1 min max before it does the samething. I plan on using it for FPV so it needs to be super stable and reliable. Anyone know this problem?

Regards,
Martin.
ParamiLL is offline Find More Posts by ParamiLL
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:54 PM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Hi FernMan!

I really appreciate all the work you and jabram are doing with this board. I just got mine. I had a multiwii when I was first starting out and didn't have much luck with it, so I moved on to other boards like the naza, copter control and KK2.0. The KK2.0 is my favorite, because it is so easy to do everything right there on the lcd.

I was hoping multiwii user friendliness had improved since I first attempted using it, but so far it doesn't seem that way.

I was able to find and load a driver on my pc and download the windows gcs. Well, first thing I noticed is that it is a quad + (I prefer X) and the gps doesn't seem to be recognized.

Next, I found a file about configuring the gps in arduino, so I loaded the arduino software. I would rather not reflash the board, because who knows what I will end up with. However, if I am not mistaken, if I want to change it to Quad X and get the GPS functioning I have no choice. First thing I noticed in the config.h file there didn't seem to be an entry for this board in the Combined IMU Boards section. Does this mean I will have to figure out every detailed setting to get this board working when reflashed?

Will I have to read every page here and on the NG thread to figure this board out? It just seems like there should be an easier way. I think I am most surprised by how many things are in config.h and not in the GCS. It sure seems like I should be able to go to Quad X without reflashing.

Maybe I am missing something here. Sorry for the rant. Any advice is appreciated.

Do you happen to have a good config.h file for this board?
oddcopter is offline Find More Posts by oddcopter
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:09 PM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Oh, and thanks to Majik01 and everybody else too.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:49 PM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,175 Posts
you want to run MultiWii right?
jabram deserves more credit, i haven't done anything lol

dont worry about reflashing the board. you wont lose anything if you're still testing the board out.

I'm in the process of updating the first post to help everyone out from the info i learned from jabram's post on here and on his MPNG thread and various posts too. its been very useful.
TheFernMan is offline Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:17 PM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Quote:
dont worry about reflashing the board. you wont lose anything if you're still testing the board out.
Won't I lose whatever HK has loaded in there? I wish I had HK's config.h file to start with. I just worry using the one downloaded from the multiwii code site will set a bunch of parameters wrong.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:24 PM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Quote:
you want to run MultiWii right?
I want to run whatever makes it do the most and the best for GPS stuff, which I think is Megapirates NG, but I thought I would try MultiWii first because there might be less to screw up. What do you think I should do?
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:04 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,175 Posts
well i wouldn't worry what HobbyKing had in there. It just the basic anyways. The code isn't even enable for GPS from them so you need to enable that in the code anyways and reflash it. Once you get the hang of reflashing the board, you can load MultiWii or MPNG. its not that bad, one step at a time.

First you'll want to enable our gps to work at the faster rate 115200. jabram post said to use Multiwii dev 1240 to let it auto config the gps for you. if not, you'll have to use a FDTI usb to reprogram the gps. sounds complicated so i opted for the auto config lol

define these setting in the code dev1240 with arudino:

Quote:
#define FFIMUv2 // second version of 9DOF+baro board from Jussi, with HMC5883 <- confirmed by Alex

#define GPS_SERIAL 2 // should be 2 for flyduino v2. It's the serial port number on arduino MEGA

#define GPS_BAUD 115200

#define INIT_MTK_GPS // initialize MTK GPS for using selected speed, 5Hz update rate and GGA & RMC sentence
Then you have to go back to Multiwii 2.1 and define your frame and motor layout under config.h:

Quote:
#define QUADX

#define FFIMUv2

#define GPS_SERIAL 2

#define GPS_BAUD 115200
You just need to uncomment these option to activate it. uncomment by removing the //

Then use MultiWiiGUI to connect to your board. Make sure you use the correct COM port number.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:34 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddcopter View Post
Hi FernMan!

I really appreciate all the work you and jabram are doing with this board. I just got mine. I had a multiwii when I was first starting out and didn't have much luck with it, so I moved on to other boards like the naza, copter control and KK2.0. The KK2.0 is my favorite, because it is so easy to do everything right there on the lcd.

I was hoping multiwii user friendliness had improved since I first attempted using it, but so far it doesn't seem that way.

I was able to find and load a driver on my pc and download the windows gcs. Well, first thing I noticed is that it is a quad + (I prefer X) and the gps doesn't seem to be recognized.

Next, I found a file about configuring the gps in arduino, so I loaded the arduino software. I would rather not reflash the board, because who knows what I will end up with. However, if I am not mistaken, if I want to change it to Quad X and get the GPS functioning I have no choice. First thing I noticed in the config.h file there didn't seem to be an entry for this board in the Combined IMU Boards section. Does this mean I will have to figure out every detailed setting to get this board working when reflashed?

Will I have to read every page here and on the NG thread to figure this board out? It just seems like there should be an easier way. I think I am most surprised by how many things are in config.h and not in the GCS. It sure seems like I should be able to go to Quad X without reflashing.

Maybe I am missing something here. Sorry for the rant. Any advice is appreciated.

Do you happen to have a good config.h file for this board?
yes you have to reupload to do those things.

for the IMU section, un comment these:
• ITG3205 Triple Axis Gyro
• BMA180 Accelerometer
• BMP085 Barometer
• HMC5883L Magnetometer

if youre going into MWC you better learn hte config file, as i said in the gchat. i will skype or something and show you. way easier that way.
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:57 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbow2 View Post
yes you have to reupload to do those things.

for the IMU section, un comment these:
• ITG3205 Triple Axis Gyro
• BMA180 Accelerometer
• BMP085 Barometer
• HMC5883L Magnetometer

if youre going into MWC you better learn hte config file, as i said in the gchat. i will skype or something and show you. way easier that way.
what is this for? aren't we uncommenting board type #define FFIMUv2?
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:59 PM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Thanks to both of you guys. I will upload those parameters and try the dev 1240 gps config and see what happens. I will try it first with just the board defined. Seems like I saw only ITG3200 in there and not 3205, but I will look again if the board only define doesn't work.
Last edited by oddcopter; Dec 06, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined May 2010
75 Posts
Quote:
what is this for? aren't we uncommenting board type #define FFIMUv2?
Not to put anybody off ... but I agree with Fern. If the sensors are uncommented one by one, the sensor orientation needs to be inputted one by one as well. Can be done - and I have done it before trying to get this board to fly properly in Carefree (still does not)... however the success rate will vary depending on the "skill" of the person putting in the require X, Y, and Z for ACC, GYRO and MAG. The orientation to Fern's point is already "defined" by uncommenting FFIMUv2.

#if defined(FFIMUv2)
#define ITG3200
#define BMA180
#define BMP085
#define HMC5883
#define ACC_ORIENTATION(X, Y, Z) {accADC[ROLL] = -X; accADC[PITCH] = -Y; accADC[YAW] = Z;}
#define GYRO_ORIENTATION(X, Y, Z) {gyroADC[ROLL] = Y; gyroADC[PITCH] = -X; gyroADC[YAW] = -Z;}
#define MAG_ORIENTATION(X, Y, Z) {magADC[ROLL] = Y; magADC[PITCH] = -X; magADC[YAW] = -Z;}
#endif
Last edited by majik01; Dec 06, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined May 2010
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParamiLL View Post
Hey everyone!

ive been flying this board a few times on a Flitetest-inspired H-copter. And when i doesn't touch the sticks very much it flies nice and quiet. But when i turn the sticks (not throttle) a little over 20-30% of their total movement the quadcopter tends to make a weird movement as if the back right motor loses power. It flips back right and i have to correct it by moving the stick in the other direction. THen i have to land and press the "reset" button on the board and i can fly like 1 min max before it does the samething. I plan on using it for FPV so it needs to be super stable and reliable. Anyone know this problem?

Regards,
Martin.
Para ... did you upload a new sketch or did you use what was pre-loaded on the board? What I noticed with the pre-loaded board is that the FC freezes when you tilt it beyond a certain angle which is what you are describing .... so I would suggest uploading a new sketch. Not that hard and the board IS stable .... specially if you balance your props and use simonK flashed ESC's.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:48 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
lol sorry. he just asked for help so i figured that was easier. in his orig post he didnt say anything about finding a preset so i gave him the individual.
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2