HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:59 PM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
GPS working now

Just thought I would post the steps I took to get the 3329 module to work:

1. Hooked up GPS unit to FTDI USB/serial module. Ground, +5, Tx on GPS to Rx on FTDI, Rx on GPS to Tx on FTDI.
2. Used the MTK Flash utility with the following setup: COM port to match FTDI USB/serial module. Baude Rate - 115200
3. Select MTK_AllInOne_DA_MT3329_v4.02.bin for Download agent file and MTK3329_A1.5E_20110118_10Hz_115200.bin for the ROM file.
4. Connect and Download. The flash utility will download the Download Agent file first and then will start loading the ROM file. Should go pretty fast.

After getting the green doughnut, use the MiniGPS utility to check that the coordinates and other things are outputting correctly.

Reattach the GPS module to the FC board and check with the Multiwii configuration program. Should update GPS coordinates.

This is what it took for me to get it to work. Everything else I tried didnt work.

Hope this helps.
Bill Winston is offline Find More Posts by Bill Winston
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined May 2010
14 Posts
Anybody can help me to use a sonar?
Suppose to use a lib. ???
and some options to uncomment,
even else some code to add...
I am not a programmer, so, i need help from a to z.
I also need help for the two servos i use for camstab: they work, but very herraticly, movements are not as cool and fluid as i'ld hope.
Thanks,
Pierre
PierHenri62 is offline Find More Posts by PierHenri62
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:39 AM
Joined Apr 2012
504 Posts
Even I have been Wondering about the sonar module...and which one will be supported on this board...but I think the camera pins are probably used for sonar so ...I don't think both can be incorporated at the same time...I may be wrong though
Akcopter is offline Find More Posts by Akcopter
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined May 2010
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akcopter View Post
Even I have been Wondering about the sonar module...and which one will be supported on this board...but I think the camera pins are probably used for sonar so ...I don't think both can be incorporated at the same time...I may be wrong though
I have been reading the Multiwii threads regarding sonar support - not there yet. Sonar alt-hold support is a reality with MegaPiratesNG so that is another route to look at. What I find interesting is that the Rabbit boards support sonar using a very cheap board and does it very well - go figure ....
majik01 is offline Find More Posts by majik01
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:05 AM
Joined May 2010
14 Posts
Thanks, AKCOPTER & majik01, interesting way!

I'm spending my time since an eternity ans think i've spent all my energy, lol!!
I can imagine in detail how to realise that, but i''m not able to do the sketch, because a lack in prog knowledge...arh! i'm too old to begin to learn this langage!
Some links, precisely, perhaps?
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:19 AM
Joined May 2010
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierHenri62 View Post
Thanks, AKCOPTER & majik01, interesting way!

I'm spending my time since an eternity ans think i've spent all my energy, lol!!
I can imagine in detail how to realise that, but i''m not able to do the sketch, because a lack in prog knowledge...arh! i'm too old to begin to learn this langage!
Some links, precisely, perhaps?
Looks overwhelming at first but working on the sketch is not that hard. The important things to consider (in Multiwii) is where to go and what to do within the "sketch" aka program.

Run everything as Admin. Download the Arduino program from the Arduino site - I use version 1.1. Java should be updated (32 plus 64 bit if you have Win7 64). Download the MWC 2.1. Unzip both zip files to where you can navigate to them easily. Browse though the unzipped files under the Multiwii sub-directory and you will see a set of files. Take important note of the one "Mutliwii" file with the ".ino" extension - this is the heart of the sketch.

Open the Arduino program and "open" the Multiwii "*.ino" file noted earlier. There should be several tabs within Arduino and only the "config.h" is the one you would change. Follow the ".pdf" files on the HK files section (MWC Pro Pin Outs.pdf) or on FernMan's post here to change by uncommenting (removing the two slashes "//") in front of the appropriate line/s. For the frame/motor configuration, I uncommented "QuadX" and for the Mega board sensors I uncommented "FFIMUv2". Uncomment the GPS lines as needed if you plan to use GPS (all indicated on the pdf file/s).

Save the changes. Press the green "check compile" button and if there are no errors you are good to upload..... if you get this far, you are on your way to uploading to your board.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined May 2010
14 Posts
Yes, thank you, but this, i am able to do, lol!
I am flying tricops since the beginning of Alex's history, ha, ha, ha!
What i want to know is: how to include a piece of new sketch in the old to make a sonar work with HK Multiwii pro.
I went tthroughout Rabbit and found that the board supports sonar alt-hold but cannot find the code...here's my need!
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Apr 2009
22 Posts
I'm really happy with this flight controller. Except the buzzer, everything has worked great so far. I did not need to flash the GPS, it just worked when connected to the right pins and enabled in the code. I'm running MultiWii 2.1, and followed the sparse manual..., with some google and it works.
I have it controlling a Turnigy talon v2 (QuadX), with Turnigy Park450 1050kV motors, 8x4 props (I may change to 9x4.5), 2200 3S LiPo (may get a bigger battery too), and it flies incredibly well!
I plan on hooking up a video system for FPV. I'm not sure what OSD to get? I have an EagleTree v3 datalogger, so I might just get the EagleTree OSD Pro. I'm pleased to see support for the ET LCD module in the code!
Got my JYMCU bluetooth module working, along with both android apps.
Next, I really want to get the MegaPirateNG software running on this controller...
In my opinion, for the price, this flight controller is a winner.

BIG Thank You to all who have developed and contributed to the MutliWii project and all who shared on these forums. Without the shared knowledge none of this would be possible.

Dan.
danau is offline Find More Posts by danau
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:28 PM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danau View Post
I'm really happy with this flight controller. Except the buzzer, everything has worked great so far. I did not need to flash the GPS, it just worked when connected to the right pins and enabled in the code. I'm running MultiWii 2.1, and followed the sparse manual..., with some google and it works.
I have it controlling a Turnigy talon v2 (QuadX), with Turnigy Park450 1050kV motors, 8x4 props (I may change to 9x4.5), 2200 3S LiPo (may get a bigger battery too), and it flies incredibly well!
I plan on hooking up a video system for FPV. I'm not sure what OSD to get? I have an EagleTree v3 datalogger, so I might just get the EagleTree OSD Pro. I'm pleased to see support for the ET LCD module in the code!
Got my JYMCU bluetooth module working, along with both android apps.
Next, I really want to get the MegaPirateNG software running on this controller...
In my opinion, for the price, this flight controller is a winner.

BIG Thank You to all who have developed and contributed to the MutliWii project and all who shared on these forums. Without the shared knowledge none of this would be possible.

Dan.
Sounds awesome, im looking forward when these things get back in stock and i have some time again to play with MultiWii.

BTW yea, you should definitely bump the prop size to 9 or 10 inch.

9" will probably do better in the wind and will be awesome for the 450 motors.

8" is a little too small for 1050kv motors.

I get my props at RCPlaneBuilder.com

Has anyone got MegaPirateNG running on these btw?
TheFernMan is offline Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:32 PM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danau View Post
2200 3S LiPo (may get a bigger battery too),

Dan.
Those motors pull 18a max each. 72a total.

Maybe something around 3300 25C (3.3x25) would give 82 amps.
TheFernMan is offline Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined May 2010
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierHenri62 View Post
Yes, thank you, but this, i am able to do, lol!
I am flying tricops since the beginning of Alex's history, ha, ha, ha!
What i want to know is: how to include a piece of new sketch in the old to make a sonar work with HK Multiwii pro.
I went tthroughout Rabbit and found that the board supports sonar alt-hold but cannot find the code...here's my need!
Opps sorry if I misunderstood your statement. You went throughout the Rabbit ... interesting. Somebody mentioned Rabbit code could be Multiwii code ... maybe, I am no expert. If it was Multiwii, it must be a fork. Do a search on Alexmos' Google code page on using I2C Sonar on MWC - have not tried it but he and others have supposedly made it work with MWC.

As a sidebar, EOSBandi's work porting Pirate code to MWC has enabled GPS to work ... which is nice because I can use either the Mediatek MT3329 or Ublox CN06 which are two very different GPS units to work well with MWC. I would not be surprised if "somebody" was already doing that for sonar ....

'Think it's time to have a serious look at MPNG as next steps ...
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:26 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,025 Posts
Hi all,

Now I've tried for a few hours to get my mag calibrated with modest success.
It points to true north and follows nicely when I rotate through 360 degrees.
But, only when the board is flat.

As soon as I roll the board, I get a deviation of +/- 10 degrees heading in Multiwii_conf. Right roll -, and left roll +.

Pitch movement does not affect heading.
In IMU.ino, starting at line 261, I can see that the heading is compensated for roll and pitch movement.

I've tried various combinations on the mag orientation in config.h, and that only makes the problem worse.
Also tried the mag low-pass filter setting.
I realize that there is a limit to how large roll angels that can be compensated, but this happens as soon as I roll pass 2-3 degrees.

Does anybody else see this? Or might it be I have a bad sensor?

I'll work a bit more on my mag calibration, and try to shield the sensor better, but it would be interesting to know how your compasses are behaving when you are rolling and pitching.

Fly safe,
/J
JNJO is offline Find More Posts by JNJO
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:48 AM
Attention to the small details
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,778 Posts
I suspect I have found a way to make MegaPirateNG V2.7 R4 run on the HK Mega board including the supplied MTK GPS

Easiest way to set up the supplied MTK GPS supplied is to run Multiwii_dev_r1143, edit the source to enable it to AUTOMATICALLY setup the GPS

in Multiwii_dev_r1143 config.h make these settings

#define FFIMUv2 // second version of 9DOF+baro board from Jussi, with HMC5883 <- confirmed by Alex

#define GPS_SERIAL 2 // should be 2 for flyduino v2. It's the serial port number on arduino MEGA

#define GPS_BAUD 115200

#define INIT_MTK_GPS // initialize MTK GPS for using selected speed, 5Hz update rate and GGA & RMC sentence

Compile and upload that to the HK Mega board, make sure your GPS is connected so the GPS is in fact setup.

--------------------------------

With GPS set up, edit MegaPirateNG V2.7 R4

in APM_Config.h make these changes

// Select your sensor board
#define PIRATES_SENSOR_BOARD PIRATES_FREEIMU

// Select your baro sensor
#define CONFIG_BARO AP_BARO_BMP085_PIRATES

// For BlackVortex, just set PIRATES_SENSOR_BOARD as PIRATES_BLACKVORTEX, GPS will be selected automatically
#define GPS_PROTOCOL GPS_PROTOCOL_NMEA

#define SERIAL0_BAUD 115200 // Console port
#define SERIAL2_BAUD 115200 // GPS port
#define SERIAL3_BAUD 57600 // Telemetry (MAVLINK) port

AND a last one to correct mag, I know we should not edit config.h, but this was the easiest way

in config.h make these changes

#else
#define CONFIG_IMU_TYPE CONFIG_IMU_PIRATES
//#define MAG_ORIENTATION ROTATION_YAW_180
#define MAG_ORIENTATION ROTATION_YAW_270
#endif

I have only bench tested this, I have not flow it, all sensors seem to work and the MTK GPS is working in Mission Planner 1.2.14 mav 1.0

Joe
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:48 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,025 Posts
@Joe.
Well done mate!
Got fed up with my mag calibration, and had a go at MPNG.
Works just fine on my board too.

Oh, and for those of us not flying Quad-X, don't forget to set correct FRAME_CONFIG in in APM_Config.h

/J
JNJO is offline Find More Posts by JNJO
Last edited by JNJO; Oct 07, 2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:58 AM
Sussex England
Joined Aug 2007
73 Posts
Having a problem with GPS if anyone could help????
The board is set up on a TRi copter and everything connected, as you can see from the screen shot of the GUI the number of sattelites is shown and the GPS location. when I switch position hold in the Tricopter becomes very unstable and with return home it shoots off the wrong way.

Dave H
zagifly is offline Find More Posts by zagifly