Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:15 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,228 Posts
My board so far...

Hi All,

I've installed my board in a RCExplorer 2.5 Tri. Running MW 2.1
So far I've gotten it to behave pretty good in acro, and alt.hold works as well as can be expected with this baro.

Installed a BT, http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goo...4&productname= which worked just fine after changing the wiring, had to move GND. Plugged it in TX0 and got it to talk to WinGui and the android configurator.

But I'm having a few problems which you guys might be able to help me with:
  • Trimming ACC with the stick, (unarmed, throttle full, adjust with ail/ele) works, but when I restart the board, I'm back where I started.
    Do I need to do something else to save the new values?
Edit: And this one started working by itself after update to dev_113. Again, I don't know why.
  • I'm not getting Pos.hold to work very well. When I switch it on, the tri wanders off in one direction at least 20 meters before I stop it. Do I need to switch on more functions, like MAG and ACC at the same time, or is that done in the software? GPS is on i2c now, but it was the same on serial.
    I have a solid position from 7+ sats before I try. MAG and ACC are calibrated
[LIST]I connected an OLED-display. http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...7&productname= on the 5V i2c port, but all I get is garbage. (Picture below.) It might be a faulty display, but I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I've even tried to switch scl and sda (...out of desperation.)[/LIST]
Edit: Solved. Works with dev_r133. Don't know why, but I suspect myself, and bad soldering....

Attaching my config.h if that helps.

TIA for any help.

/J
JNJO is offline Find More Posts by JNJO
Last edited by JNJO; Sep 30, 2012 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Two problems gone.......
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:09 AM
Click eagle to read my blog
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,288 Posts
Has anyone else noticed this strange behavior of Multiwii 2.1 on the HK Mega board ?

While chasing down some vibration during bench testing the board I was quickly pitching it up and down when I noticed the ACC and GYRO stop for about 1.5 seconds at regularly repeated intervals.

Thinking I may have made one tweak too many to the code and caused this, or maybe one of my sensors had failed, I started from scratch with the original MultiWii 2.1 code, modified it for HK Mega, compiled it, downloaded, same result.

I downloaded MultiWii_dev_r113 http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/downloads/list edited it for the HK Mega and it works properly with no 1.5 second gaps

MultiWii config screen captures while constantly pitching the board up and down;

MultiWii 2.1, see the ACC and GYRO gaps in the graph

MultiWii_dev_r113, no gaps in the graph

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I also have the CRIUS AIOP V1 and MultiWii 2.1 does NOT have this strange behavior on that baord, the 2 boards use different ACC and GYRO sensors, so I am thinking it could be a bug in the code relevant to the ACC and GYRO used in the HK Mega, cannot imagine this strange behavior leading to good flight experience.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Sep 29, 2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: additional information
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:27 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO View Post
I'm not getting Pos.hold to work very well. When I switch it on, the tri wanders off in one direction at least 20 meters before I stop it.
Since you have bluetooth check how good your GPS is at staying in one place when the multicopter is sitting on the ground

I use MultiwiWinGUI which has the MAP tab showing you live GPS over a map.

If you run MutliWiiWinGUI on a slow PC or laptop you have to be patient, takes quite a few seconds to get started, seems like it is not responding, once that initial delay is over it works well, on a fast PC or laptop you will not see the long delay at start.

http://code.google.com/p/mw-wingui/

Outdoors it should be fairly close to the actual spot but at times it will wander even with 9 satellites, sometimes wonders a fair bit, other times it wonders in a very tight area. I have performed the same test with bot MTEK3329 and UBLOX LEA 6H, only mention that in case you think a different GPS would be better.

Repeat the test a few hours later when the satellites have moved and the results with 9 satellites will vary.

what I am trying to say is that the GPS wonders and so the multicopter guided by the wandering GPS will also wonder.

Also you need to have all drift trimmed out before it has a chance of working.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:39 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
...what I am trying to say is that the GPS wonders and so the multicopter guided by the wandering GPS will also wonder.

Also you need to have all drift trimmed out before it has a chance of working...
Thanks.
As far as I can tell, my pos. is stable, but you certainly have a point about needing to have it trimmed out.
Just have to figure out how to get my ACC-trims to stay between power-offs.

I tested for your gaps in mwgui, but I don't get those.
Anyway, I will also test dev_r113 and see what fun that brings.

/J
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:45 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,288 Posts
Quote:
Thanks.
As far as I can tell, my pos. is stable, but you certainly have a point about needing to have it trimmed out.
Just have to figure out how to get my ACC-trims to stay between power-offs.

I tested for your gaps in mwgui, but I don't get those.
Anyway, I will also test dev_r113 and see what fun that brings.

/J
Strange, wonder why I get the gaps.

Glad to see you sorted one problem, thedev_r113 changes listed don't mention the display.

Quote:
- bug corrected when HORIZON + ANGLE MODE are both selected => HORIZON MODE is selected in this case - new default PID settings for Alt (mahowik suggestion) - pm1 GPS mod (speed limitation in PH)
By the way I don't think the baro is bad, I have compared it with the supposedly better Baro on AIOP V1 which also jumps about 1M, I think it is down to better filters to solve it or perhaps using the new default ALT PIDs in dev R113, I have not had a chance to test it.

Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,228 Posts
Quote:
..Glad to see you sorted one problem, thedev_r113 changes listed don't mention the display...
Well, it worked for a while then started to act up again.
I got fed up and reluctantly concluded that it must be a HW-problem. Took out the soldering pen and had a go at all the solder-joints. Been working fine for an hour or so now.

Hmm...A poorly manufactured device from PRC...Who would have thought it?

Anyway, together with a BT, this display is more or less a must-have for me. Real nice to have in the field.

/J
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:10 PM
United States, TX, Laredo
Joined Dec 2011
63 Posts
Quote:

Installed a BT, http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goo...4&productname= which worked just fine after changing the wiring, had to move GND. Plugged it in TX0 and got it to talk to WinGui and the android configurator.
@JNJO

Hi can you post a pic on how and where to connect the BT adapter? I just order one to be able change parameters on the board remotly.

Thanks
marvin081 is offline Find More Posts by marvin081
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:31 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,288 Posts
Quote:
Well, it worked for a while then started to act up again.
I got fed up and reluctantly concluded that it must be a HW-problem. Took out the soldering pen and had a go at all the solder-joints. Been working fine for an hour or so now.

Hmm...A poorly manufactured device from PRC...Who would have thought it?

Anyway, together with a BT, this display is more or less a must-have for me. Real nice to have in the field.

/J
Be careful and thoroughly bench test Throttle with dev r113 in your setup, I am using Spektrum serial and found there is a HUGE LONG delay in the Throttle response, fix 1 thing and stuff up another, would definitely crash if I had flown it before finding the Throttle delay by bench testing.

Bad soldering, it happens :-(
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:44 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,228 Posts
Quote:
...Be careful and thoroughly bench test Throttle with dev r113 in your setup, I am using Spektrum serial...
Just had a seriously nice flight with dev_r113. I'm using Spektrum PWM, and followed your advice but I did not have any probs with thottle. I'm using simonized HK blue 12A ESC:s. I was able to set my roll/pitch P to 9 without oscillations. Will probably be able to raise it more, but ran out of lipos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin081 View Post
...Hi can you post a pic on how and where to connect the BT adapter?...
Hi, picture below.
The Crius BT I've got came with a 4-way connector. It goes to serial TX0 (for lack of a proper name...), the one with no headerpins next to RX-inputs. Since there is an N.C. pin between +5V and GND on that port I just pulled out the GND-cable from the connector and jammed it on the GND-pin. I'll check the possibility to add a jumper cable between N.C. and GND for aesthetics sake, but I want to make sure it really is N.C. first.
I never bothered to figure whether that port is TTL or not, but since it's got +5V I guess it's RS-232. Anyway it works. Mine is connected like this:

BT TX - Port RX
BT RX - Port TX
BT VCC - Port 5V
BT GND - Port GND
Port speed 115200

The USB-connection to WinGui and MW_Conf does not work when the BT is connected to the board, it doesn't matter if it's active or not, so I'll add a switch later to be able to turn it off without having to pull the connector everytime.

Unfortunately, the andriod app and WinGui does not work 100% with dev_113 yet, since the checkboxes on aux 1-4 have changed, but as long as you use MW2.1 you'll love it.

/J
Last edited by JNJO; Sep 30, 2012 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Clarification on USB
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:21 AM
Joined May 2010
75 Posts
Tried the quad with MWC 2.1 for outdoor maiden flights. BT (for WinGUI) works great and makes Mag and Accel calibration easier to complete. It was raining lightly so alt-hold was not very accurate - but it did hold. Position hold (with alt and heading hold activated) was interesting as the quad made slow circles - similar to the AIO - but unlike the AIO, it never stayed in one place even with mag declination inputted. RTH went well. If sent forward from "home", it would fly backwards .. turn around and face the same direction it was at "home", then circle slowly. After two battery packs, I am convinced this is a really good board - even with default PID's for now. (I wonder when HK will stock them again...) Up next, getting APC-220 to work and maybe some flight videos. Thank you to all the contributors to this thread - even the misadventures (aka crashes) are learning experiences for everyone....
majik01 is offline Find More Posts by majik01
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:08 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by majik01 View Post
...Position hold (with alt and heading hold activated) was interesting as the quad made slow circles..
Congrats on a good flight. I agree, it's a really nice board.
I'm having problems with my pos.hold, and part of it is that I really haven't figured out which other modes to enable at the same time.
Did it work for you with only Alt and HH (Mag?) together with pos.hold?

/J
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:18 AM
United States, TX, Laredo
Joined Dec 2011
63 Posts
Hi all.

Interesting thing is happening I change my frame from a home built frame to a HK 450 frame and now the ahead oscillate heavily with the default pid's. And is not holding heading even with mag on. How far down can I set the p value? Also Is there a specific orientation for the gps module like the naza or can it be installed in any orientation?

The quad was running stable and level on my DYI frame.

Thanks
marvin081 is offline Find More Posts by marvin081
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:26 AM
Joined May 2010
75 Posts
Using MWC 2.1 - To make PH/RTH work for me (with Alt-hold and Heading Hold activated as well on separate switches of course) a) make sure HH works. I had earlier problems with heading hold and the only way it was addressed (not 100% ok yet) is to use the "Rabbit FC" method (with WinGui over BT so you can "move" the quad) for mag calibration within the one minute window. Short version is to do 360 deg turns of the quad frame around an imaginary vertical line. Frame flat, front rotors up, rear rotors up, side rotors up, frame upside down - important it that you rotate around the same vertical line a magnetic compass would rotate on. b) using the WinGui ,make sure you get a sat fix and that the board moves correctly in relation to the satellite map - if not, do the "Rabbit" Mag calibration again. c) Input the correct magnetic declination (mine is -12.633f) into the GPS section of config.h. Without this, the quad makes really crazy fast circles and will eventually crash as its altitude drops (happened to me twice on the AIO - not on this board as I learned my lesson). Hope this helps....
Last edited by majik01; Oct 01, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,228 Posts
@majik01
Thanks. I never felt really happy with my mag calibration, but I wasn't sure I needed it for pos.hold, so I put it low on the to-do list. I'll have a go at it this weekend.

/J
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined May 2010
75 Posts
Quote:
@majik01
Thanks. I never felt really happy with my mag calibration, but I wasn't sure I needed it for pos.hold, so I put it low on the to-do list. I'll have a go at it this weekend.

/J
J - that was my assumption too but after I saw some lines in MWC that refer to HH and how PH/RTH would be performed, a light went off in my head.