Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:31 PM
GymDandy Flyer
Webb City, Missouri
Joined Apr 2004
591 Posts
Discussion
What is Best cleaning Product for Glow Engines

Hi, Guys
A year or two ago or maybe longer, their was an article in Flying Models, Fly RC, or Model Aviation about cleaning up Old Glow Engines. They suggested using a spray bottle product sold at Ace Hardware to remove old baked on fuel and lacquer stains.
Does anyone remember the article or name of the product ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Keep Them Flying ! Your friend, Ken
Ken Spencer is offline Find More Posts by Ken Spencer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:14 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,057 Posts
I have heard of antifreeze in an old crock pot, then dip the engines in that.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:31 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,490 Posts
Yes. It's called "Dawn Power Dissolver". If you do not need to take the engine apart it works great on baked on oil and fuel. Brush it on. Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Scrub the crud off and then rinse with water.

Do not let it sit on the engine for more than 15 minutes. It can discolor the aluminum. I have used it on old engines and left it on longer only because I was not concerned about discoloration.

The product can be hard to find. Many stores that carry Dawn products do not necessarily carry Power Dissolver. I found some at Wallmart. Your wife will like it to for cleaning those cruddy pots and pans.

The crock pot method also works well, just a little more hassle having to get a crock pot and then let it sit around with antifreeze in it.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:56 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,478 Posts
Yes it is Dawn Power Dissolver and it works really well too. You may have to use a old toothbrush on stuborn spots or built up stains. So it might need several applications. But it does wonders to make engines look nice again.

The old crock pot and anti-freeze method works good too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My homemade Hexacopter build
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
NEVER use your home crock pot with the anti freeze!! They don't come clean and you never want to use it again in the kitchen for cooking. One of my clubs got the crock pot and filled it with Glycol anti freeze, the old stuff, none of the tree hugger bunny kisser crap! Green doesn't work! The reason for the club having it was because unless you have a huge pile of engines that need cleaning it just isn't worth the trouble. I was rebuilding a lot of engines but have never felt the need to own a crock pot full of anti freeze for my own use.
For a couple of engines the Dawn is a great product. For a club then the crock pot is a fantastic item. We got ours for $5.00 at a garage sale. If you needed it then you just picked it up from a club officer along with the jug of anti freeze.
For the Dawn I bought a pack of small brass brushes at Harbor Freight.
Only time I ever clean the outside of an engine is during a rebuild. When in use I never give the outside of an engine a second thought. I have one friend that freaks out if one of his engines gets any baked on Castor Oil on it at all and it must be cleaned!!
Gray Beard is offline Find More Posts by Gray Beard
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:30 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,171 Posts
I've used a simple old cooking pan.. on an outdoor coleman type stove. Of course never to use the pan again for cooking.. but they're easier to come by then Crock-Pots.. ..probably about 50cents at a yard sale.... and I would never do this in the house either.. Using anti-freeze I just simmer the engine case for about 4 hrs. They come out much better then they go in.. thats for sure... its a very simple cleaner/agent.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:34 PM
GymDandy Flyer
Webb City, Missouri
Joined Apr 2004
591 Posts
Hi, Guys
Thanks for all of the great ideas and suggestions. I will give them a try and let you know what works best for me.
Again, Thank You for your time.
Keep Them Flying ! Your new friend, Ken
Ken Spencer is offline Find More Posts by Ken Spencer
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:01 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,451 Posts
I keep a crockpot on my work bench with antifreeze in it. I use it enough to warrant keeping it there. Works great for heating up the crank case to press out and in bearings.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:53 PM
Garfield is my Pilot
Joined May 2011
200 Posts
I found if I just wipe the engine down with Simple Green before packing it up, the engine stays pretty darn clean. I have 2 gallons of glow though my OS this year and it still looks brand new.
acdii is offline Find More Posts by acdii