HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:33 PM
Newbie but coming on fast
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Jun 2012
143 Posts
Question
How windy is too windy?

I am flying my 120 SR outdoors and know it needs to be calm for successful flying but am ready to start flying my SR CP bird and find I talk myself out of flying because it is "too windy".

So my question is, how much wind is too much wind for a newbie to fly a CP bird in? Does the size of the heli matter? Experience of the pilot? Flybar versus flybarless? Other factors?
KYChopper is offline Find More Posts by KYChopper
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:40 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,049 Posts
If you are new to CP, I would suggest picking a windless day to make the first steps. A CP will behave quite differently than the self stabilizing 120 SR.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:49 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,454 Posts
Definitely depends on pilot skill level. If your new to cp practice on windless days and as your skills improve try to fly in light breeze then, under windier conditions. It is easier to fly in a steady wind than when wind is gusting.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Jun 2012
23 Posts
Go out and try flying. If you can't control it, it's too windy.

--Marfi
marfi is offline Find More Posts by marfi
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:51 PM
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
When I started out on FP's I could never fly them outside. It was ALWAYS too windy. Once I moved on to CP's I was like you.......always talking myself out flying as it was too windy. I finally took a chance and flew anyway. I realized CP's do very well in wind. I have several Walkera 120 size helis and I'll fly them in in wind up to 20mph with gust and never even think about the wind anymore.

CP's seem to be very unaffected by the wind or very little at the most.
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:58 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYChopper View Post
I am flying my 120 SR outdoors and know it needs to be calm for successful flying but am ready to start flying my SR CP bird and find I talk myself out of flying because it is "too windy".

So my question is, how much wind is too much wind for a newbie to fly a CP bird in? Does the size of the heli matter? Experience of the pilot? Flybar versus flybarless? Other factors?
The experience of the pilot definitely matters. The larger the heli, the more able it is to handle wind. Flybarless helis handle wind much better than flybarred helis as they have a locked in feeling. The other factor is that the heli will handle wind better if you fly in idle up/stunt mode, that is even if you do not fly 3D.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:03 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,049 Posts
And most beginner pilots will not start their first CP directly in idle up mode, I think, and hope. A CP can handle wind better, but the pilot still has to control the heli. If you over correct, make the heli bank right, and a gust will get under the blades, it will still have crashed before you, as beginner pilot, are able to bring it back to level flight. If it's a small heli, and you can fly over tall grass, you could get away with it, but otherwise it could get messy and expensive to repair afterwards.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:03 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marfi View Post

--Marfi
This
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:40 AM
Malaysia, Penang, Bayan Lepas
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
CP do very well with wind, but gusts are different story.
Generally like what everyone says, if you're new, fly on windless day... Otherwise unless its really gusty (20mph+), then CPs should be fine IMHO
thloh85 is offline Find More Posts by thloh85
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:32 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marfi View Post

--Marfi
And as added bonus you have a jigsaw puzzle afterwards.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:36 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,134 Posts
There is also a big difference between constant wind in one direction and sudden gusts from different directions. If your heli suddenly starts shooting up and down by several feet, then perhaps it is time to stop flying.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Sep 06, 2012 at 07:01 AM.