Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:09 PM
Vini, Vidi, Scalies
Ireland, Dublin, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown
Joined Oct 2003
682 Posts
Discussion
LaserCut Software

Hi there,

Is there any Lasercut software users here? (for laser cutting machine)

I would like to know, hen you import dxf files, how do you prepare the files?
In my case, files are generated with Turbocad (v17), then transfered to Autocad, where I re-do all the polylines (because when I save from Turbocad in dxf, all is lost! (unless I am missing something ) )) and finally, saved in dxf, but Autocad2000.

All good and working like this, but I am pretty sure that can be improved, so as the cutting quality as I think the splines are still seen as dot to dot.

Sorry if I am not clear enough, simple problem, but pretty hard to explain clearly, but hopefully, someone will know what I am talking about!

Fred
LoopingFred is online now Find More Posts by LoopingFred
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:10 AM
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2007
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopingFred View Post
Hi there,

Is there any Lasercut software users here? (for laser cutting machine)

I would like to know, hen you import dxf files, how do you prepare the files?
In my case, files are generated with Turbocad (v17), then transfered to Autocad, where I re-do all the polylines (because when I save from Turbocad in dxf, all is lost! (unless I am missing something ) )) and finally, saved in dxf, but Autocad2000.

All good and working like this, but I am pretty sure that can be improved, so as the cutting quality as I think the splines are still seen as dot to dot.

Sorry if I am not clear enough, simple problem, but pretty hard to explain clearly, but hopefully, someone will know what I am talking about!

Fred
Lasercut, is that a brand of machine?
My epilog has a Autocad driver, splines are no problem.
limeybob
limeybob is offline Find More Posts by limeybob
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:59 AM
Laser Cutter Guy
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2009
247 Posts
I use lasercut. It reads dxfs fine. all my cad work is done in AutoCad. if you are getting choppy Plines then look into how many segments you have on a pline. the higher the number of segments, the smoother the line will be and also the output in the laser.

Why are you using 2 cad programs??? why not just use AutoCad, that would be much more efficent IMO.

What version of lasercut are you using?
what laser do you have?
what version of ACAD are you using?
RCROBBY is online now Find More Posts by RCROBBY
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:15 PM
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Sep 2006
17 Posts
Laser cutter Engraver

I got my laser a couple of months ago and so far it's working good. I'm using Acad 2010. There are things I don'y know yet but it's coming along pretty good. I have a question however. One of the project that I have is to make a PCB but to do this I need to do one past, engraving the paint I don't want then putting the PCB in acid. Once the acid has done it's job, I need to put it back on the machine to cut all the holes in the PCB. The laser has to track in the very same step as the first pass or the hole won't be in the right place. Any suggestion?

Jean
worldraft is offline Find More Posts by worldraft
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:44 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldraft View Post
I got my laser a couple of months ago and so far it's working good. I'm using Acad 2010. There are things I don'y know yet but it's coming along pretty good. I have a question however. One of the project that I have is to make a PCB but to do this I need to do one past, engraving the paint I don't want then putting the PCB in acid. Once the acid has done it's job, I need to put it back on the machine to cut all the holes in the PCB. The laser has to track in the very same step as the first pass or the hole won't be in the right place. Any suggestion?

Jean
Hi Jean,
I have done things similar to this. What I do is make up a fixture to make sure I put the sheet in the exact same spot on the laser table. Make sure you do not move home before you complete your project.
Jim
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:05 PM
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Sep 2006
17 Posts
Thanks Jim
I was hopping there was a better way because my laser does not come back to the exact same place if I shut down the machine an continue the next day. It's a fraction of a mm but that's enough to ruin the job.
worldraft is offline Find More Posts by worldraft
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:10 PM
Gloucester Ma
Joined Dec 2002
1,037 Posts
to worldcraft

I use a plasma cutter at work that doesn't keep a good "home point" from day to day. for jobs that need to be done in stages like yours I cut a Jig fixture with (or for) the original part. Then later I cut another jig when further work needs to be done.
hope this helps, Alex
A Monell is offline Find More Posts by A Monell