HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:30 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPeter View Post
Speaking of future enhancements... I'd like to brainstorm on a way to simulate engine start up - but not just the sound; I'd like to see the prop turning slowly for those first few seconds while the starter is working and then pick up speed when the engine ignites to life. First, I'm not an engineer so yeah some of these ideas will be naive.

Seems to me electric motors go from 0 to 100 as soon as even the lowest current is applied (lowest throttle setting). Is that a function of the ESC? If a lower, trickle current were applied,would the motor turn slowly? If so, we just need to get you into the ESC business . Think about it - either build ESC or insert your sound unit and a regulator between receiver and the ESC.

If electric motors just go for 0 to 100 no matter how low the current - then the solution would be more complex and mechanical. I begin to see gears and dedicated servos turning the prop - i.e., a dedicated starter just like in real cars and planes, etc. That gets hairy. Anyway, in the spirit of brainstorming and thinking outside the box, those are some to chew on.
Tom,
I completely understand what you are saying, but I am not sure how to accomplish it, but it is something to look into.

Right now the best way is manual timing. It takes a little practice, but can give a good effect. Set the radio so that the sound starts with the first click and the motor starts on the second. That way, you can get the starter sound, then start the motor spinning when the sound starts to fire over. It is not perfect, but it gives a fairly decent effect.

Andrew
MrRCFlying is online now Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:11 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,697 Posts
In lighting, the effect could be accomplished by using a 'starter' for a fluorenscent lamp...
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:23 AM
Sweden, Gävleborg County, Gävle
Joined Aug 2012
528 Posts
Hi
As an answer to Tom Peter I have done this to prepare for V4!

Mixed a free channel with a turn knob (AUX3 on my Spektrum DX8)
Had AUX3 to driveThrottle channel up to desired travel, could then operate Thr with turn knob or throttlestick, that way moving the whole trottle curvup or down with the turn knob.
Set max travel on AUX3 to 8% (dont worry abot 22%, something else) to avoid turning AUX3 at full blast by accident giving WOT! Important!!
Now I can dial in carefully and slowly an on-off status of my BL, somehow simulating startup of prop and soundunit´s start-up sound.
Also with turn knob in a low idle position motor won´t turn off even on dead stick which makes warbirds more scale on landing as motorsound will be heard all the time.
On a Cub I need to kill engine sound with my turn knob but thats another story..

Throttle startup mix (0 min 34 sec)

Lasse
lassehellsten is offline Find More Posts by lassehellsten
Last edited by lassehellsten; Feb 09, 2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:30 AM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
842 Posts
So, you are going to play heavy metal and classic rock, and then fly to the music?
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:26 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,725 Posts
Well, not good news. I got the demo board in today. In my haste to hook it up, I connected the power wrong and fried it. This will not be possible on the finished board. The reason why it happend to me, is the voltage regulator section is being re-designed, and was not active on this demo board.

So, although it may not put me back that much, it is going to put me back at least a couple of days. For this reason I am going to have to push the start ship date back to at least 2/22.

Sorry for the delay guys. I do have the board in hand, if anyone would like to at least see a picture of it.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:30 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,697 Posts
hahaha, i feel your pain andy, i did the same thing on a esc a few days back...
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:03 PM
Joined Aug 2012
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
Well, not good news. I got the demo board in today. In my haste to hook it up, I connected the power wrong and fried it. This will not be possible on the finished board. The reason why it happend to me, is the voltage regulator section is being re-designed, and was not active on this demo board.

So, although it may not put me back that much, it is going to put me back at least a couple of days. For this reason I am going to have to push the start ship date back to at least 2/22.

Sorry for the delay guys. I do have the board in hand, if anyone would like to at least see a picture of it.

Andrew
Sorry Andrew!
Well that blew my option to have it in my hands in US
Will have to wait for it shipped to Sweden��
Bu.......er
Lasse
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:07 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lassehellsten View Post
Sorry Andrew!
Well that blew my option to have it in my hands in US
Will have to wait for it shipped to Sweden��
Bu.......er
Lasse
Don't give up yet. There may be a chance, but it is slim.

I just don't want customers getting too upset with me. I am trying hard to get them done and out.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:12 PM
WiFi Thom
United States, OH, Elyria
Joined Oct 2012
178 Posts
I kind of get what you are doing, could you make a longer video going more in depth on how to accomplish this!!!

Quote:
Hi
As an answer to Tom Peter I have done this to prepare for V4!

Mixed a free channel with a turn knob (AUX3 on my Spektrum DX8)
Had AUX3 to driveThrottle channel up to desired travel, could then operate Thr with turn knob or throttlestick, that way moving the whole trottle curvup or down with the turn knob.
Set max travel on AUX3 to 8% (dont worry abot 22%, something else) to avoid turning AUX3 at full blast by accident giving WOT! Important!!
Now I can dial in carefully and slowly an on-off status of my BL, somehow simulating startup of prop and soundunit´s start-up sound.
Also with turn knob in a low idle position motor won´t turn off even on dead stick which makes warbirds more scale on landing as motorsound will be heard all the time.
On a Cub I need to kill engine sound with my turn knob but thats another story..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbqJIsCB5-Q
Lasse
tbeller is offline Find More Posts by tbeller
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:09 PM
Joined Aug 2012
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeller View Post
I kind of get what you are doing, could you make a longer video going more in depth on how to accomplish this!!!
Will do remind me on dinnerparty right now.
Tomorrow ir the day after
Lasse
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:22 PM
Joined Aug 2012
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeller View Post
Actually I'll try to describe step by step
1 Throttle channel is left untuched, with V4 MrRCSoundunit you can set startup and shutdownsounds on the sound board independent of throttle stick position
2 Set travel of throttle channel so that prop beginns to swing at ca 2 clicks up from dead stick
3 Set soundcard so that startup beginns at 1 click = just before props beginns to swing
4 Any free channel, in my case AUX3 with a handy turn knob is mixed with THR so that by turning the knob you increase throttle,first startup beginns and by finding a fintuned position of the knob you can have the prop go on and off while startup sound runs
5 By turning knob just a bit more you go to idle engine sound and prop steady swinging at low speed
6 Travel of AUX3 is set to 0%-8%, so that you only can affect propspeed up from not turning at all to slow speed with no drag, 0%-100% would give full throttle action on both thr stick and turning knob, not desired and dangerous if full AUX3 when you turn on your transmitter without having warning for throttle set on your tx
7 When landing with dead stick you will have slow propspeed and engine sound on idle,more scale than landing with no engine sound
8 Taxi home and kill engine by turning knob back

Hope this helps.
Of course any free channel can be used, but then you would have go for fixed settings, like if using flaps channel or any other 2 or 3 position switch channel, would need some testing to find desireded travel between different switch positions.
Cheers Lasse
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:44 PM
WiFi Thom
United States, OH, Elyria
Joined Oct 2012
178 Posts
Quote:
Actually I'll try to describe step by step
1 Throttle channel is left untuched, with V4 MrRCSoundunit you can set startup and shutdownsounds on the sound board independent of throttle stick position
2 Set travel of throttle channel so that prop beginns to swing at ca 2 clicks up from dead stick
3 Set soundcard so that startup beginns at 1 click = just before props beginns to swing
4 Any free channel, in my case AUX3 with a handy turn knob is mixed with THR so that by turning the knob you increase throttle,first startup beginns and by finding a fintuned position of the knob you can have the prop go on and off while startup sound runs
5 By turning knob just a bit more you go to idle engine sound and prop steady swinging at low speed
6 Travel of AUX3 is set to 0%-8%, so that you only can affect propspeed up from not turning at all to slow speed with no drag, 0%-100% would give full throttle action on both thr stick and turning knob, not desired and dangerous if full AUX3 when you turn on your transmitter without having warning for throttle set on your tx
7 When landing with dead stick you will have slow propspeed and engine sound on idle,more scale than landing with no engine sound
8 Taxi home and kill engine by turning knob back

Hope this helps.
Of course any free channel can be used, but then you would have go for fixed settings, like if using flaps channel or any other 2 or 3 position switch channel, would need some testing to find desireded travel between different switch positions.
Cheers Lasse

Awesome idea I will try it!!!
tbeller is offline Find More Posts by tbeller
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:17 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,813 Posts
You could do almost the same thing by playing with your throttle curve with a very shallow start up curve and getting steeper toward the end of travel. Mix in your sound on another channel with a linear curve or even negative expo to get it to kick on early.
J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:20 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,813 Posts
Andrew, I feel for you grainy your board. As you know, I did the same while spearing out my components. Once you get the V4 sorted, I'll be back for it. I don't need so many speakers though.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:58 PM
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Jul 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
Tom,
I completely understand what you are saying, but I am not sure how to accomplish it, but it is something to look into.

Right now the best way is manual timing. It takes a little practice, but can give a good effect. Set the radio so that the sound starts with the first click and the motor starts on the second. That way, you can get the starter sound, then start the motor spinning when the sound starts to fire over. It is not perfect, but it gives a fairly decent effect.

Andrew
Thanks for the tip Andrew. Looks like there are a few creative work-arounds out there in the meantime. I still believe this has potential as a future enhancement.
TomPeter is offline Find More Posts by TomPeter
Closed Thread