HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:30 AM
Registered User
lassehellsten's Avatar
Sweden, Gävleborg County, Gävle
Joined Aug 2012
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
Yes, and 'too many' amps create heat.



Well, which is it, 10A or 20A? One number appears to be twice a big as the other.

Well, which is it, 0.1s or 1s? One appears to be 10x longer than the other?



Yes, like the 12 year old who says 'But Daddy, I read on the net that it's OK to short out a lipo with servo wire, but I couldn't find any so I used lamp cord wire,' as the family home burns to the ground.

As I said, I asked for a reference about how to safely short a lipo. Let me know when you find one. Until then --> plonk.
Dangerous subject! I think we should drop it at once, before someone starts to experiment and hurts themselves or someone else.
Lasse
lassehellsten is offline Find More Posts by lassehellsten
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:58 AM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lassehellsten View Post
Dangerous subject! I think we should drop it at once, before someone starts to experiment and hurts themselves or someone else.
Lasse
If that's the case, then we should stop talking about lipos all together. IMO, if a person can't comprehend what Pete is trying to explain here, then they shouldn't have lipos. While what he's talking about isn't the safest way to provide a puff of "smoke", I'm positive it won't result in lipo damage. What Pete is talking about doing is creating a fusible link which is nothing more than a fuse made of wire that is designed to burn up before it causes damage to the battery. If fusible links worry you then I hope you understand that pretty much every car out there uses them in the starter circuit. The only real problem I see with Pete's idea is that, if you use too thick of a gauge, you could melt or burn a spot in your plane. I hate to say it, guys, but our "toys" are dangerous...Pete's comments are not dangerous. In fact, they might actually make you understand more about the electrical systems in our planes. What I think is more dangerous for this hobby is for people to try to extinguish this type of conversation. The only thing Pete is guilty of is not putting the typical politically correct "Warning: please do your own research and find the limits of your batteries before attempting to do this". I'd like to think that any adult here is smart enough to know that on their own. As for kids and lipos...what kind of responsible parent would let their children handle lipos unattended?
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Last edited by ClosedAccount; Feb 06, 2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:30 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
1,916 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have not read through all your recent posts, but I will. I have been stressed about the new card, and have been working with sound files. I am sorry for the delay in reporting stuff.

I wish I had earth shattering news about V4, but I don't. Things are moving forward, but much slower than I had thought or hoped. It is getting there. I have seen the unit partially working, but there were still some bugs to be worked out in the code. I have been reassured that this is minor, and will be easy to take care of.

So in the sake of being fully honest, I have seen a video, but I am not comfortable showing it to others, as it was more of a tech. demo that showed the output to a montior, etc. I am still planning on having the first handful of units ready to go by the 15th. We believe that we can meed this deadline. So all of you that pre-ordered, not to worry.

Andrew
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:07 AM
Registered User
lassehellsten's Avatar
Sweden, Gävleborg County, Gävle
Joined Aug 2012
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by {}{steve}{} View Post
If that's the case, then we should stop talking about lipos all together. IMO, if a person can't comprehend what Pete is trying to explain here, then they shouldn't have lipos. While what he's talking about isn't the safest way to provide a puff of "smoke", I'm positive it won't result in lipo damage. What Pete is talking about doing is creating a fusible link which is nothing more than a fuse made of wire that is designed to burn up before it causes damage to the battery. If fusible links worry you then I hope you understand that pretty much every car out there uses them in the starter circuit. The only real problem I see with Pete's idea is that, if you use too thick of a gauge, you could melt or burn a spot in your plane. I hate to say it, guys, but our "toys" are dangerous...Pete's comments are not dangerous. In fact, they might actually make you understand more about the electrical systems in our planes. What I think is more dangerous for this hobby is for people to try to extinguish this type of conversation. The only thing Pete is guilty of is not putting the typical politically correct "Warning: please do your own research and find the limits of your batteries before attempting to do this". I'd like to think that any adult here is smart enough to know that on their own. As for kids and lipos...what kind of responsible parent would let their children handle lipos unattended?
Sorry to offend you Steve!
The only thing I wanted to achieve is to be a bit more careful when discussing these things. Felt like I was following a "free form" discussion, with some loose ideas.

Maybe better to present some more clear ideas how to solve the smoke issue, but ofcourse anyone is free to discuss the things they want.
Best reg
Lasse
lassehellsten is offline Find More Posts by lassehellsten
Last edited by lassehellsten; Feb 06, 2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:20 AM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
You didn't offend me at all. I was just trying to point out that it is more dangerous to try to censor that type of discussion. IMO too many people handle lipos that have no idea how to really be safe with them and, censoring discussion of even potentially unsafe practices does little to help educate people. A dead short with the battery wires is far different than a dead short with a very thin gauge wire and anyone that owns lipos should understand that. Like I said earlier...I don't think Pete's suggestion is the safest way to achieve the smoke puff, but I also don't believe that it would start a lipo fire. I think discussions like these (although off topic from this thread) are healthy for us to have. If for no other reason than it will get people to understand more about how power systems work.
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:40 AM
Registered User
lassehellsten's Avatar
Sweden, Gävleborg County, Gävle
Joined Aug 2012
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by {}{steve}{} View Post
You didn't offend me at all. I was just trying to point out that it is more dangerous to try to censor that type of discussion. IMO too many people handle lipos that have no idea how to really be safe with them and, censoring discussion of even potentially unsafe practices does little to help educate people. A dead short with the battery wires is far different than a dead short with a very thin gauge wire and anyone that owns lipos should understand that. Like I said earlier...I don't think Pete's suggestion is the safest way to achieve the smoke puff, but I also don't believe that it would start a lipo fire. I think discussions like these (although off topic from this thread) are healthy for us to have. If for no other reason than it will get people to understand more about how power systems work.
Steve, point taken. Looking forward to more fruitful discussions
Reg Lasse
lassehellsten is offline Find More Posts by lassehellsten
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:17 PM
Registered User
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,780 Posts
[QUOTE=MrRCFlying;24049700]I have not read through all your recent posts, but I will. I have been stressed about the new card, and have been working with sound files. I am sorry for the delay in reporting stuff.{/QUOTE}

Rule #1: Relax. Related to that, don't worry about reporting anything here we know you're doing the best and quickest you can.

Quote:
I have seen a video, but I am not comfortable showing it to others, as it was more of a tech. demo that showed the output to a montior, etc.
Good, I'm glad you don't want to post it because you didn't like it. I'd been meaning to write about this before but this is an even better opportunity.

The 'purpose' of this device is to create audio. I was actually very disappointed with the previous bench-style demo videos. The field vids are good enough because they do show the actual sound in actual flight. But digital cameras are notoriously bad at recording quality audio, which as I said is the whole point of this device.

For field vids any recorder is fine because the thrill of seeing a plane fly adds a million % to the effects of hearing the audio.

But a bench style vid with nothing to look at except a TX/RX, a battery, and a little chunk of hardware with a speaker, well, the audio there better be really good or it ain't gonna '*sell*' the *audio*.

The other side of the 'bench style coin' is that you -can- get across the -true- quality of the audio with no wind noise or other intrusion.

To do this right you need a '-real- microphone,' and a very good acoustical space (meaning no harsh echoes or air conditioners or whatever in the background.) Again the point of -that- kind of video is to get the -audio- across.

Even in field use a better microphone can help *tons* (and the whole point of the exercise really is audio.) Look into Rode VideoMic. 7oz, 1/2" microphone, directional, 40Hz - 20kHz. http://www.rodemic.com/mics and scroll down to the VideoMic stuff. Or something similar. Anything is better than the builtin mic.

Always recall Rule #1. We know you're doing your best because ultimately *you* gotta pay *your* rent.
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:02 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Sculptor's Avatar
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
[QUOTE=jbarchuk;24051876]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
I have not read through all your recent posts, but I will. I have been stressed about the new card, and have been working with sound files. I am sorry for the delay in reporting stuff.{/QUOTE}

Rule #1: Relax. Related to that, don't worry about reporting anything here we know you're doing the best and quickest you can.



Good, I'm glad you don't want to post it because you didn't like it. I'd been meaning to write about this before but this is an even better opportunity.

The 'purpose' of this device is to create audio. I was actually very disappointed with the previous bench-style demo videos. The field vids are good enough because they do show the actual sound in actual flight. But digital cameras are notoriously bad at recording quality audio, which as I said is the whole point of this device.

For field vids any recorder is fine because the thrill of seeing a plane fly adds a million % to the effects of hearing the audio.

But a bench style vid with nothing to look at except a TX/RX, a battery, and a little chunk of hardware with a speaker, well, the audio there better be really good or it ain't gonna '*sell*' the *audio*.

The other side of the 'bench style coin' is that you -can- get across the -true- quality of the audio with no wind noise or other intrusion.

To do this right you need a '-real- microphone,' and a very good acoustical space (meaning no harsh echoes or air conditioners or whatever in the background.) Again the point of -that- kind of video is to get the -audio- across.

Even in field use a better microphone can help *tons* (and the whole point of the exercise really is audio.) Look into Rode VideoMic. 7oz, 1/2" microphone, directional, 40Hz - 20kHz. http://www.rodemic.com/mics and scroll down to the VideoMic stuff. Or something similar. Anything is better than the builtin mic.

Always recall Rule #1. We know you're doing your best because ultimately *you* gotta pay *your* rent.
+1 DJ
When I got my budget B model I was pleasantly surprised at how much better it sounded and louder than the representations in the videos. Also when the sound is disassociated from an airplane even if well recorded is disquieting to me. Puts me in mind of what my dad said at an air show when I was a boy. We were looking at a plane with a radial engine and it was about to startup and dad said "son when that planes starts up it's gonna sound like it's about the blowup before it really gets going".

In Andrew's presentations I find my expectations are far exceeded in the actual applications and I feel that is a manifestation of Andrew's determination to satisfy our anticipation of the realization of believable flight.

"Shut up Donald!" Right-O
DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:54 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
1,916 Posts
Thank you both for the kind words. Things are just running a little behind, but they are coming. I have the sounds all done, so I am 100% sure on them. I will post them in a few minutes. I am working with the engeneers closely trying to get these done by the 15th deadline. I don't want that to slip, and right now I don't think it will. Just getting a little ansty myself.

I have demo .wav files of all 6 on the default card. Anyone know how to upload .wav here? It does not seem to take it. LOL

Andrew
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Last edited by MrRCFlying; Feb 06, 2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:23 PM
Always trying to learn
mejmea's Avatar
United States, IL, Batavia
Joined Feb 2011
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
Thank you both for the kind words. Things are just running a little behind, but they are coming. I have the sounds all done, so I am 100% sure on them. I will post them in a few minutes. I am working with the engeneers closely trying to get these done by the 15th deadline. I don't want that to slip, and right now I don't think it will. Just getting a little ansty myself.

I have demo .wav files of all 6 on the default card. Anyone know how to upload .wav here? It does not seem to take it. LOL

Andrew
One thought would be to rename the files with a different extension that is acceptable, upload them and then when people download them they could rename them back to wav files. A bit of a kludge, but maybe the best way for now?
mejmea is offline Find More Posts by mejmea
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:33 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
1,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejmea View Post
One thought would be to rename the files with a different extension that is acceptable, upload them and then when people download them they could rename them back to wav files. A bit of a kludge, but maybe the best way for now?
Yea, either that or just convert them to Youtube videos like I did before. They did not change that much actually, so not a huge deal. I will get them up on the web page this next week. Working on the WWII pack now.

Andrew
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:14 PM
Roaring Radial Fanatic
corsairnut's Avatar
United States, OH, Hilliard
Joined Jan 2012
50 Posts
Can't wait to hear it.
corsairnut is offline Find More Posts by corsairnut
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:25 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
Yea, either that or just convert them to Youtube videos like I did before. They did not change that much actually, so not a huge deal. I will get them up on the web page this next week. Working on the WWII pack now.

Andrew
Open a free Dropbox account, host them there, and post the links here.
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:28 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
1,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by {}{steve}{} View Post
Open a free Dropbox account, host them there, and post the links here.
Let me look into that. I have not heard of Dropbox.
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:31 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
Let me look into that. I have not heard of Dropbox.
I use it a lot for work to get files to people. It's a great service.
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product JR XG11 Owner's Thread ElIntocable Radios 512 Nov 02, 2014 10:11 PM
Discussion Official Eflite UMX Mig 15 DF Owners Thread NitroCharged Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 5492 Aug 30, 2014 07:08 PM
Discussion Version 2.5 MrRCSound sound system. MrRCFlying Electric Plane Talk 1 Jan 07, 2014 06:41 AM
Discussion The Official Teen Chit Chat Thread (Always Off Topic) Alex Schauer Chit Chat 31697 Aug 27, 2013 08:56 PM
Sold Mrrcsound electric sound system with gun card. This is the pro version aquaanox Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 3 Jul 05, 2012 11:11 AM