HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:07 AM
Registered User
struggleforlife's Avatar
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,863 Posts
As far as no.6 concerns, I was thinking a 'learn' button, pressing it once for starting point, pressing it twice for endpoint. I would think that to be easier than a pot-meter.
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:42 PM
Registered User
CarToon's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
1,477 Posts
This all sounds great, Andrew! Will you be able to replicate a multi-engine bomber sound? I know a number of our group (B-17s) would be very interested in that.
CarToon is offline Find More Posts by CarToon
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:55 PM
Stuka vor!
Germany, BY, Ostheim
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Hi Andrew,

these are great news! Can´t wait to see your improvements on V4. Amazing!
Thank you for a great job!

Klaus
dr.schlot is offline Find More Posts by dr.schlot
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:45 PM
Jagdgeschwader 3 "Sturmböcke"
Germany, BY, Mellrichstadt
Joined Oct 2012
25 Posts
Hi Andrew,

I also can say: Wow,... cant wait to have it.
As you can hear on the videos posted by dr.schlot, a Budget B module from You is working in my Focke Wulf. To order a soundmodule, especially from you, was one of the best decisions in the past months.

Greets

Marco
episode666 is offline Find More Posts by episode666
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:09 PM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,265 Posts
Yes, it all does sound great... and a BIG leap forwards!!
Nice.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:57 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
1,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarToon View Post
This all sounds great, Andrew! Will you be able to replicate a multi-engine bomber sound? I know a number of our group (B-17s) would be very interested in that.
Possibly. I will have to play with it and see what it's capabilitys for that is. Multiple units will be able to be used for multi engine sounds.

Andrew
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:58 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
1,896 Posts
Thank you all for the kind words. The design is being finished today, and I should have the first prototype in hand by the end of next week.

Andrew
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:04 PM
Registered User
Aerobatman's Avatar
Akron, Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
429 Posts
Andrew,
V4 sounds like a BIG improvement and a winner! Really like the improved quality sounds the new unit will support - what bit rate sounds will be possible? Right now we're at 8 bit, what will the new unit do?
Aerobatman is offline Find More Posts by Aerobatman
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:25 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
1,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobatman View Post
Andrew,
V4 sounds like a BIG improvement and a winner! Really like the improved quality sounds the new unit will support - what bit rate sounds will be possible? Right now we're at 8 bit, what will the new unit do?
The processor will be a 12bit processor, but that is just what the processor is capable of doing. It is the sample rate of the sound that makes the difference in what you hear. It will have enough memory to handle higher sample rate files, but I am not sure what that will be yet.

I have been playing around with sound files, and creating some simulations based on how the processor will handle the sound file. Here is one I did of a Piper Cub engine. You will hear distinct breaks between the RPM ranges. That is because I used only 8 "steps" between low idle, and high RPM. The real card will be able to do more than that, in real time. Probably 12-16, which means it will sound a LOT smoother. You won't even notice the "steps" up and down.

Remember this is just a SIMULATION of a sound, based on how the sound card handles the files, and then cut into a single file for you to hear.

sound demo (1 min 4 sec)


Andrew
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:01 PM
Always trying to learn
mejmea's Avatar
United States, IL, Geneva
Joined Feb 2011
665 Posts
That sounded good even on my puny little laptop speakers!
mejmea is online now Find More Posts by mejmea
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:27 PM
Registered User
struggleforlife's Avatar
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,863 Posts
I dont quite understand it in terms of (hearable) sound quality

For example, a benedini has 16 bit and 22khz. A model sounds inc has 16 bit and 44khz.
Yours has 12 bit and 22khz (right?).
So how does that compare? Can you hear the difference?
Why not 16 bit? why not 44khz? Is it cost of components?
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:43 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
1,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
I dont quite understand it in terms of (hearable) sound quality

For example, a benedini has 16 bit and 22khz. A model sounds inc has 16 bit and 44khz.
Yours has 12 bit and 22khz (right?).
So how does that compare? Can you hear the difference?
Why not 16 bit? why not 44khz? Is it cost of components?
The processor is 12bit, that does not mean the sound is 12bit. I still do not have the khz rate yet. A few things are still being worked through. Let me see if I can get some clarification on that myself. 22khz is for a Mono channel, and 44 is Stereo. There is no real need for stereo in this application. I am still not sure about the bit rate of the sound yet, working on it.

It is also important to remember that this a ground up build. This will be far superior to the existing cards, but I will not compare them to any other brands. There is more to it than bit rates.

Andrew
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Last edited by MrRCFlying; Jan 12, 2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:30 PM
Registered User
lassehellsten's Avatar
Sweden, Gävleborg County, Gävle
Joined Aug 2012
547 Posts
Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
The processor will be a 12bit processor, but that is just what the processor is capable of doing. It is the sample rate of the sound that makes the difference in what you hear. It will have enough memory to handle higher sample rate files, but I am not sure what that will be yet.

I have been playing around with sound files, and creating some simulations based on how the processor will handle the sound file. Here is one I did of a Piper Cub engine. You will hear distinct breaks between the RPM ranges. That is because I used only 8 "steps" between low idle, and high RPM. The real card will be able to do more than that, in real time. Probably 12-16, which means it will sound a LOT smoother. You won't even notice the "steps" up and down.

Remember this is just a SIMULATION of a sound, based on how the sound card handles the files, and then cut into a single file for you to hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-KTS...ature=youtu.be

Andrew
Thanx, this is what I've been looking for, the Continental, for my Cub.Softer and a bit more hollow then the more harsh Lycoming sound. Just the sound I want
Sounds very impressive.
You could use stereo samples for multisound systems, but a fixed offset between 2 sounds is propably easier.
Loking forward to V4
Cheers Lasse
lassehellsten is offline Find More Posts by lassehellsten
Last edited by lassehellsten; Jan 13, 2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:50 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
1,896 Posts
Hey all,
I am still working on the information about the sample rates and stuff. That probably will not be available till we test what the processor can do, compared to the sound file. It should not be a problem for a high kHz, but I will know more once we start testing.

To move on, I have decided on the base set of 6 sounds for the unit. So the sound unit itself will come with this cross section of sounds, and other sound sets should be available later. I need to put those together.

Here is the list:
1 - Continental (Piper Cub, Cessna 152, other small planes)
2 - Lycoming (Cessna 172/182, other small planes)
3 - Merlin (P-51, Spitfire, etc.)
4 - P&W Double Wasp (F4U Corsair, etc.)
5 - Daimler Benz (BF-109, etc.)
6 - Generic Turbine (Turbo props, small jets)

These files have been cut, and compressed for use on YouTube, so the file used on the sound system will be higher quality. I have done a lot of work to make sure the transition between each part is as smooth as possible. The sample files are the start up sound, idle, and shut down. No run up sound.

Andrew

Continental Demo (0 min 18 sec)


Lycoming demo (0 min 21 sec)


Merlin demo (0 min 16 sec)


Double Wasp Demo 2 (0 min 38 sec)


Daimler Benz Demo (0 min 20 sec)


Generic Turbine Demo (0 min 48 sec)
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Last edited by MrRCFlying; Jan 14, 2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:37 AM
Registered User
struggleforlife's Avatar
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,863 Posts
Sounds good.
Will the gun sounds be added before these units hit the market?
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product JR XG11 Owner's Thread ElIntocable Radios 501 Oct 12, 2014 01:51 PM
Discussion Official Eflite UMX Mig 15 DF Owners Thread NitroCharged Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 5492 Aug 30, 2014 06:08 PM
Discussion Version 2.5 MrRCSound sound system. MrRCFlying Electric Plane Talk 1 Jan 07, 2014 05:41 AM
Discussion The Official Teen Chit Chat Thread (Always Off Topic) Alex Schauer Chit Chat 31697 Aug 27, 2013 07:56 PM
Sold Mrrcsound electric sound system with gun card. This is the pro version aquaanox Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 3 Jul 05, 2012 10:11 AM