SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
I must have put in about 10 flights today. I kept telling myself "one last flight" till I finally meant it. I was surprised with this plane able to do knife edge flying as I had never tried it before. I was circling along the flight path when this jet crosses the area and I mean this was a big gas fueled jet. WHAM, right into my Shtuka. Needless to say there was a loud "POOF" as I watched my Shtuka explode into a downpour of confetti while the jet, having trouble, was trying to land immediately. As it banked it went into a barrel roll and crashed, demolished, into the ground. And I mean that jet must have cost the guy at least $3000 because that guy was yelling and cussing. As for me, I wasn't disappointed in the least; I guess I was more awestruck at the spectacle more than anything else. What we found out later was that the jet carried some of my Stuka with it, including my whole sound system. The motor and receiver were never found. Here are some photos.

Fritz remained in the cockpit unharmed...

Poor Hanz was decapitated, giving his life for der Fatherland. His head vas never found. Ach tu lieber!

The MrRC Sound system was caught and carried away by the jet, given to me later on by the jet pilot. Notice the damaged speaker. Looks repairable but I will need a new speaker.

The impact was so great both servo arms snapped off...

Wheels were dislodged from the shattered struts and a sharttered nose cone tells me not to even search any more for the motor; the armature/shaft is probably severely bent anyway.

Right now I'm waiting on a composite L-59 90mm jet body from Hobbyking which should arrive next week so I'm not really feeling bad over what happened.

Maybe in a month or so I will miss it and re-order the Stuka.
Wow, sorry to hear about that. Looks like a total loss. Mid air crashes are fun to watch though.

Andrew
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:50 PM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
755 Posts
I've had a midair before, and I agree, it's almost worth losing the model to watch it. Although given, mine was a $150 electrafly camel, not a turbine...
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:50 PM
Citizen of the Universe
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2004
352 Posts
Yes, the gun sound works perfect and so did the engine sound the first few times I tried it. I appreciate you working with me on this. I will send you a PM.
Thanks, Denny
tenacious101010 is offline Find More Posts by tenacious101010
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:56 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lassehellsten View Post
Hi Jackson!

I´m trying to convince the FMS people regarding the Corsair 1400 to come up with a chins-cope cowling, flaps, nav+landinglights, the new sturdy maniretracts, a retract tailwheel and sliding canopy and some rockets via FaceBook. Give it a like and we´ll see

FYI
For the main wing on the Corsair (when it happens) I plan to do a rectangular cutout in each wing half . Use a rectangular carbon fiber plate with cutouts for the speakers. Then make a slot all the way round in both wingparts, slide them together and glue it. This will strengthen the wing and make room for the speakers that can be covered with metal mesh .
For the small spekers maybe they can be mounted in the sides of the cowling or on each side of the cockpit to distribute sond on the wings when taxing.
cheers Lasse
Hi Lasse,

I wouldn't be surprised to see FMS issue a "next version" Corsair in the 1400mm size. As you know they produced a line of 1700mm warbirds including a Mustang, Corsair and Thunderbolt. Then they came out with a V.7 of the Mustang in the 1400mm size and it has been a raging hit. Banana Hobbies is one of the distributors here in the U.S. and they can hardly keep it in stock. The current version is good enough as an airframe, but needs better retracts (check out Hobby King for some interesting possibilities), and the flaps are do-it-yourself. I don't mind the do-it-yourself flaps as I think I have some good ideas about how to do this.

I like your ideas for the speaker installation. I have put metal mesh on two of my three installations. The other one, which was in the Bucker, just had holes drilled in the wood of the cockpit; this seems to work fine.

Regards,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:09 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
Everyone,
Exciting news. Version 3 testing continues, but things are looking VERY GOOD. The new amplifier, once getting a few small issues worked out, is simply amazing.

Not only is it smaller, and lighter, but it also uses less voltage draw, while still putting out the same volume level, which makes it more efficient.

But the biggest thing is, unlike the previous amplifier, it will drive TWO 2" speakers. The previous amplifier if you remember would only drive the single 2", and either a single 1.22" or a pair of 1.22"

This will allow the Budget and Pro units to add on an additional 2" speaker, and the Ultra and Twin units to handle up to a total of FOUR 2" speakers!!!!

I will have a video soon!

Andrew
This is great news Andrew. I think the P-47 would have been better with the big speakers facing out to the sides. After now trying your Budget, Pro, Pro with 2 speakers (the one in the Bucker), and the Ultra, I think the Pro with two 2 inch speakers is the best solution for most foamy warbirds like the FMS 1400mm series. I would mount the speakers facing to the sides. My Mustang and P-47 both have downward-facing speakers, which works reasonably well, but side-facing may be better.

In any event I am pleased that you are continuing to develop and enhance the product line. My wish list would include more sophisticated sound cards that have even more realistic sounds, more powerful amplifiers, modular components, and the option to go to larger speakers if desired. I know you have made the case for the power of your two inch speakers, but I have got to believe you could find a 3x4 that would do even better, especially for the lower frequency bass notes that make up much of the sound of a big radial.

Now that the bad winter weather has finally arrived in Colorado I am thinking about building the backlog of plane kits I have accumulated this year. I will be installing one of your budget units with Lycoming sound in a Fun Cub. I think this plane will be an absolute riot to fly with tons of power, great color scheme (stock plus my enhancements), full nav lights, and the sound module. I will also be building an F-22, Dynam Peaks (Pitts) Biplane, Funjet Ultra, and high-powered Stryker. These planes will round out my portfolio nicely - I will have a plane for every mood and weather condition.

Regards,

Jackson
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lassehellsten View Post
Good news Andrew!!!!

All about cone area. The more area the mer air it moves the louder it gets.
(Thats why I prefer 2 x 10" guitarcabinets instead of 1 x12" or 4 x10" instead of 2 x 12")
So now it´s time to build a small hornspeaker to fit in the plane or......

You´re amazing developing new products this fast and still managing your customers.
I try.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:18 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Quote:
Jackson, check my note above. Always trying to make the system louder. There are some chnages on the way that should address it even more.

On thing that may affect the output is your speaker placement. I am using the Double Wasp (at least I think that is the one I used) on the Pitts. I have the main speakers out the sides, with the mini speakers facing down and forward. Again though, it is a lower KV motor, so that makes a big difference too.

Andrew
The Pitts does sound great. So does the Spitty and Lightning.

Cheers,

Jackson
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:21 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
URRL,

Sorry about the jet-Stuka midair. Sounds like it was a very spectacular crash to watch. I had an A-10 that I overpowered to the point where a wing came off during a loop. Looked like it had been hit by a shoulder-fired rocket! Fortunately, I had a bunch of flying buddies there to watch it crash. We still talk about that one.

Regards,

Jackson
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
This is great news Andrew. I think the P-47 would have been better with the big speakers facing out to the sides. After now trying your Budget, Pro, Pro with 2 speakers (the one in the Bucker), and the Ultra, I think the Pro with two 2 inch speakers is the best solution for most foamy warbirds like the FMS 1400mm series. I would mount the speakers facing to the sides. My Mustang and P-47 both have downward-facing speakers, which works reasonably well, but side-facing may be better.

In any event I am pleased that you are continuing to develop and enhance the product line. My wish list would include more sophisticated sound cards that have even more realistic sounds, more powerful amplifiers, modular components, and the option to go to larger speakers if desired. I know you have made the case for the power of your two inch speakers, but I have got to believe you could find a 3x4 that would do even better, especially for the lower frequency bass notes that make up much of the sound of a big radial.

Now that the bad winter weather has finally arrived in Colorado I am thinking about building the backlog of plane kits I have accumulated this year. I will be installing one of your budget units with Lycoming sound in a Fun Cub. I think this plane will be an absolute riot to fly with tons of power, great color scheme (stock plus my enhancements), full nav lights, and the sound module. I will also be building an F-22, Dynam Peaks (Pitts) Biplane, Funjet Ultra, and high-powered Stryker. These planes will round out my portfolio nicely - I will have a plane for every mood and weather condition.

Regards,

Jackson
Sweet! Sounds like you have a winter full of building to do.

There are changes in the works, I can't talk too much about them right now, but I am busy in the background, far beyond what you see. More volume is always a top priority, but bigger speakers, and higher rated amplifiers are not the only way to achieve them. Not to give away too many secrets, but effeiciency of the is the key. The more efficient the components, the greater the output using lower power.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:28 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Quote:

There are changes in the works, I can't talk too much about them right now, but I am busy in the background, far beyond what you see. More volume is always a top priority, but bigger speakers, and higher rated amplifiers are not the only way to achieve them. Not to give away too many secrets, but effeiciency of the is the key. The more efficient the components, the greater the output using lower power.

Andrew
I like the sound of that... still holding off
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Sep 2008
268 Posts
Andrew - the new amplifier is sounding quite promising!

Jackson S - yeah those ESCs are noisy compared to higher quality ones running at higher frequency. and higher quality lower Kv motors will also help keep the whining sound to a minimum. but hey, I have used those ESCs and other cheap parts myself, don't get me wrong.

I have a few videos I've done. one is of poor video (hard to find a good camera man) but heavily produced. my first premiere pro editing job:
SE5a micro slips outside... (7 min 24 sec)

I should come shoot video for you! I'm in kansas, we could shoot video for each other. I have a much better video camera now. really a good mic is what is needed for these projects.

lassehellsten - I use a Fender vibrolux (pair of 10") and a fender twin reverb ( pair of 12") together ! yeah baby!

Urrl - sorry to see the stuka in that condition. just remember. there's only two kinds of RC planes. those that have crashed.....and those that are going to crash. if a guy can come to terms with that he will be okay
dcwwcp is offline Find More Posts by dcwwcp
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
This is exactly what I'm would like to do. I currently have the eflite 25 cub but was looking for something a little bigger. I would love to know more about this guy's setup.

Quote:
New video a customer just sent me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqw0YyTd4lA&sns=em
Popcorn Eater is offline Find More Posts by Popcorn Eater
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:40 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Quote:

Andrew
Andrew,

You are proven innovator. I look forward to seeing (and hearing) whatever great products you come up with. In the meanwhile I look forward to many happy hours in the air with the four planes I have your sound modules in. Also to future projects with your new products.

With best regards,

Jackson
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:44 AM
Sweden, Gävleborg County, Gävle
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwwcp View Post
Andrew - the new amplifier is sounding quite promising!

Jackson S - yeah those ESCs are noisy compared to higher quality ones running at higher frequency. and higher quality lower Kv motors will also help keep the whining sound to a minimum. but hey, I have used those ESCs and other cheap parts myself, don't get me wrong.

I have a few videos I've done. one is of poor video (hard to find a good camera man) but heavily produced. my first premiere pro editing job: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FzwBqdcUCU

I should come shoot video for you! I'm in kansas, we could shoot video for each other. I have a much better video camera now. really a good mic is what is needed for these projects

lassehellsten - I use a Fender vibrolux (pair of 10") and a fender twin reverb ( pair of 12") together ! yeah baby!

Urrl - sorry to see the stuka in that condition. just remember. there's only two kinds of RC planes. those that have crashed.....and those that are going to crash. if a guy can come to terms with that he will be okay
Nice (both planes and amps)
I have 1 homebuilt Princeton with a Weber 12" ( doped by Weber himself before he past away) and a homebuilt MadAmp in a homebuilt tilted wooden cabinet with 2 x 10" jensen and a homebuilt harmonic valve tremolo/reverb
Cheers Lasse
lassehellsten is offline Find More Posts by lassehellsten
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:49 AM
Sweden, Gävleborg County, Gävle
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
Quote:
New video a customer just sent me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqw0YyTd4lA&sns=em
Nice video and clean flying and cool comments!
Sounds pretty loud to me!
Congrats to Mr RcSound going floats!
Lasse
lassehellsten is offline Find More Posts by lassehellsten
Closed Thread