HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,939 Posts
Everyone!

Thank you for the great videos, and comments. Jackson, glad you are liking the Ultra on the P-47! Brandon, what an unbelievable job of hiding that speaker!!! Awesome.

Don, send me a PM if you would like, we can try to figure out the right system for your planes. It is always a balancing act between weight and volume.

Andrew
MrRCFlying is online now Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:26 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,990 Posts
Hey Andrew,

I really like the mods that Brandon has done, and it sure would make installation of the ultra system more flexible having the capacity to separate speakers from other components. Is it possible to make this a feature or option for future purchases??
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:17 AM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
Thanks Andrew, It did turn out real nice, and was much easier to do with all the separate components ability to mount else where....allows for a much cleaner and organized installation, not to mention better weight distribution and access
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:41 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
Hey Andrew,

I really like the mods that Brandon has done, and it sure would make installation of the ultra system more flexible having the capacity to separate speakers from other components. Is it possible to make this a feature or option for future purchases??
Thank you for the fine compliment
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Hey Andrew,

It may be something that I will intigrate. Problem is that it adds a lot of production time. There are some changes coming in the next couple of months, I think you guys will like them.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:14 AM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,016 Posts
Maybe offer the system with the speaker as stand alone and all of the components are mobile. Offer plenty of wire and let the customer do the soldering. Just supply a wiring diagram and instructions.
NCRealEstateGuy is online now Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:47 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,532 Posts
I actually was going to suggest this to in future packages. Why not have everything " unplug-able " as apposed to unsolderable then you can truly offer a plug and play unit. The main issue I found when installing the Ultra ( 4 speakers ) in my 1400mm FW-190 was that its needed to be unsoldered first ( no big deal ) and each side then had to be " built " in to the cowl, or nose should I say. As each side is not a mirrow, this made the install pretty tricky to be honest. Also, the volume nobs, these should be flat as they were the hardest part to house. Just minor improvements would make a massive difference.

Its a great setup Andrew, what makes your outfit so differnt is you listen to everyone on this thread and THAT is very comendable. I am looking forward to the re-maiden this weekend of my Ultra Fw-190. Here is a picture of the install 90% finished. I repainted the entire nose ( guns forward ) and glassed inside as there was very little foam left to support to motor mount. I used Metal speaker mesh as it bends much nicer than the cloth. The entire unit is removable in minutes should I now need to.
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,939 Posts
All great tips for future versions! I will see what can be done.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,939 Posts
Gentleman,
Having recieved positive feedback from quite a few of you recently, I have decided to redesign the sound unit. The new changes will allow the unit to be installed in tighter spaces, by allowing the components to be seperated easier. Since this repersents a farily major step forwad, it will be know as the Version 3.

A few of the changes that will be made, based on sugestion and research:

1. A new amplifier, slightly smaller and lighter than the current one.
2. Connector between amplifier and sound card, optional extention wire between them.
3. Connector between voltage regulator and amplifier, optional extention wire between them.
4. Ultra version, connectors between the two units, optional extention wire between them.
5. All components afixed with Velcro, so it may be easily used as a whole unit, or seperated for tight spaces.
6. Silicone wires replacing all stiffer copper wire.

These improvements should not affect the price of the units.

I should have a prototype built by tomorrow afternoon. I will put pictures and maybe a video up when it is done. All new orders will be filled with the new Version 3.

Andrew
http://www.mrrcsound.com
Site Sponsor
Last edited by MrRCFlying; Dec 04, 2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:25 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
oops....looks like the idea I posted is taking hold and generating lots of interest.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
oops....looks like the idea I posted is taking hold and generating lots of interest.
No oops... They were all good ideas. I have recently heard similar sugestions. Sugestions are always welcome, and often acted upon.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
Andrew, that sounds great....will definately be looking fwd to seeing those..... I still have 3 more war birds and a twin Im holding off on based on your pm.

Was kidding about "oops" ...... I knew it would generate lots of interest ......especially after the video explanation I posted....I'M glad it's drawing lots of interest for you..... you have got some good stuff there
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Dec 04, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:06 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,990 Posts
Andrew,

I really hope your sound system business continues to grow. It should with that kind of responsive action to improve the products usability.

Fantastic J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:33 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
820 Posts
Andrew's Sound Factory

Andrew and fellow modelers,

Once again I am impressed by both the willingness of Andrew to listed to constructive feedback, and the wonderful ideas and contributions from my fellow modelers. Brandon is right, the units should be modular and all components plug together. This facilitates installation and should also make the sound units more transportable. I can see a situation where the speakers remain in a model and the sound board/amplifier/voltage regulator are moved from model to model. Also like the use of silicon wires, that is all I use for the rest of my electronics for obvious reasons.

With regards to the use of Velcro to hold in the speakers let me share a recent experience that may provide the kernel of ideas for further innovation. I actually followed Andrew's advice very specifically to install little triangles of Velcro on the corners of the speaker unit to mount the speaker facing "up" in my P-47 nose. I found the Velcro triangles did not adhere well to the silicone-based adhesive that Andrew uses to mount the speakers inside the little red cases. So I stripped away the silicone glue at the surface and used hot glue to secure the Velcro triangles, taking care to not impinge upon the paper speaker cone and thus dampen the sound.

I found this arrangement did not work as I had hoped. The Velcro triangles did not stay glued to the speaker box and the box ended up in the middle of the fuselage. Then it occured to me that the primary secure point was at the back of the speaker (relative to the direction of the fuselage) and that the side of the speaker box provide ample smooth surface to adhere Velcro strips to. So I now have strips on the side of the speaker box that are Vecroed to strips adhered to a wooden beam in the back complimented with Velcro triangle in the front. Much stronger arrangement. This arrangement is working so far.

I also have been using metal speaker grilles to cover the speakers and find this a far superior solution to the plastic mesh cloth that was supplied with the speaker.

My 2 cents....

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:34 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
820 Posts
Quote:
Andrew,

I really hope your sound system business continues to grow. It should with that kind of responsive action to improve the products usability.

Fantastic J
Fantastic J,

What are you doing in Antarctica? Do you get a chance to fly RC planes there, or is RC a hobby you do when you get back "in country"? Tell us some stories.

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Closed Thread