Closed Thread
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:37 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
I would reccomned trying to squeze the Budget or Pro in if at all possible. 1100 is a little small, but it may fit with some mods. I know that some have put it in the Dynam Spitfire, which is 1200mm. Tight squeze, but they got it in.
Thanks Andrew, much apprecaited. TBH I think I might keep that palne as it is - it flies so nicely in the smallish fields I have to fly in closest to me at it's current weight. As and when I move up to a 1400mm 4S bird though expect me to place an order...
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
Thanks Andrew, much apprecaited. TBH I think I might keep that palne as it is - it flies so nicely in the smallish fields I have to fly in closest to me at it's current weight. As and when I move up to a 1400mm 4S bird though expect me to place an order...
No probelm. The mini with 2 extra speakers would probably work pretty well too. Not as much cutting needed.

Andrew
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrx1113 View Post
can it make machine gun sounds like a war war 2 plane doing a straffing run?
Yes, I do have versions with gun sounds. The Budget version does not have gun sounds, the Pro does. There is a slight trade off though. Because of the way the gun card works, even when not in use the channel is open. So it draws down the overall volume slightly. By about 1-3db. Just barely noticeable in most cases.

Andrew
http://www.mrrcsound.com
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,890 Posts
Just an FYI for anyone that may be interested in the units. I am getting down on stock, I have more parts on the way, but it may be 1-2 weeks depending on the shipping time. I am trying to keep things in stock, but for 2 months here I have underestimated the number I would sell. I have enough for 4-5 A and 4-5 B. Then it may be a week or two.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:18 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,859 Posts
It'll work better if you wait a while to reply to yourself. Just before your topic slips off the first page is best.
Gohmer is online now Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:09 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
It'll work better if you wait a while to reply to yourself. Just before your topic slips off the first page is best.
You have me confused What quote are you referring to?

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post

Gary
Yea, me too Gary. Not sure if he is trying to say I am using multiple accounts or what. LOL Oh well.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:30 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post

Gary
Quote:
Yea, me too Gary. Not sure if he is trying to say I am using multiple accounts or what. LOL Oh well.

Andrew
Me to?
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:17 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,859 Posts
Hey Gomer,
If the OP takes your "advice", I will bump it myself to get it current again!
Don't click on it if you are not interested.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:45 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,676 Posts
Lol! I get it now...thanks NCREG. Some ppl can't resist!
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:09 AM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,331 Posts
Cool stuff Andrew. I am very interested in adding to my D-Rock Hurricane. This a 60" stick built model -- very light and fragile! Questions ---,
Would you think the mounting could be done without cutting away fuse longerons? That is, can the unit be buried in a hollow fuse or does the speaker have to be open to the outside?
Any preference to being mounted in fuse v. in the wing?
Do you think the model, being basically a sound box of stringers and fabric, will enhance the sound or is the sound independant of the model stucture?
The Hurricane has that big radiator on the bottom of wing might that be a good place for the unit? Is the speaker sepersted from the unit?
As the unit is "ON" all the time how much current draw (feeding from flight pack) --- equivalent to a moving digital servo maybe?

Sorry if these have been asked before, pretty soon you will need the usual FAQ section !!
killickb is offline Find More Posts by killickb
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb View Post
Cool stuff Andrew. I am very interested in adding to my D-Rock Hurricane. This a 60" stick built model -- very light and fragile! Questions ---,
Would you think the mounting could be done without cutting away fuse longerons? That is, can the unit be buried in a hollow fuse or does the speaker have to be open to the outside?
Any preference to being mounted in fuse v. in the wing?
Do you think the model, being basically a sound box of stringers and fabric, will enhance the sound or is the sound independant of the model stucture?
The Hurricane has that big radiator on the bottom of wing might that be a good place for the unit? Is the speaker sepersted from the unit?
As the unit is "ON" all the time how much current draw (feeding from flight pack) --- equivalent to a moving digital servo maybe?

Sorry if these have been asked before, pretty soon you will need the usual FAQ section !!
The unit has been installed in wood planes by others, but I have yet to do so myself. I have a large Rascal that I am going to put it in, but it needs a little work. I will do a video of it when I do it. From what others have found, the wood planes do make a good resonating box. I believe that you will still have to vent it so the sound can get out though. Rather than one large hole, you may be able to drill small holes in a grid. I don't see why it would not work in the wing, as long as it still balances along that axis. The sound card, and Amplifier add very little to the size of the speaker and case, so I reccomend keeping it all together.

Power draw is quite low. The single spaker system draws about 15w, at .75 to 1A. So on lets say a 10 minute flight, you may loose 30 seconds to 1 minute. To be honest, I have not timed it, but I can not really see a difference in flight times in any of my planes.

Here is a video of the system in a Hangar 9 Saratoga wood plane, and a review done by the customer.
RC Sound SYstem. $129 MrRCsound system in a Hanger 9 Saratoga. (12 min 21 sec)

Hope this helps.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:54 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Yes, it is a tough call. Especially if the plane is new.

Andrew
Andrew, I used plastic window screening, It's much stiffer and conforms better to shapes. The pattern is larger and it doesn't 'breath in and out with the speaker.

BTW: The first sound unit showed up at my air field yesterday in a foam F4. This thing got more interest than a real F4 would have gotten. Was your budget unit (I have one on a 40" Staggerwing).

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:16 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
That problem is due to RF interferance. Some ESCs I have found cause some glitching of the sound system. I now have Ferrite Chokes available to solve that problem. The best place for it is on the servo Y cable. Cleans it right up. I had one plane that did it bad without the choke. With the choke in place, it is 100%, no glitching at all. If you want one, send me your mailing address, I will send you out one free of charge.

Andrew
Andrew, I'm also having that problem with the one in my Beachcraft Staggerwing. Can I get one also?
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:16 PM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined Nov 2004
741 Posts
Ok, I'm back from my first flights with my FMS FW-190 with the "Budget" sound unit. The sound was just amazing in the air and even far away with the speaker facing away you could hear the sound. We had a larger than normal group at the field this morning and just about everyone there could not believe what they were hearing. More than one member commented on the sound quality and asked a ton of questions about the system. The sound volume seems in perfect scale to the size of the model but what impressed most was the landings, the sound "rpm" matched the landing speed perfectly. The quality of this product is excellent and if your thinking about buying one don't think about it, buy it, you will be happy you did.
daylight99 is offline Find More Posts by daylight99
Closed Thread