Closed Thread
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:18 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
I had to dremel the "speaker mesh" out of the plastic intercooler door. I suppose this will enough sound to escape? Any thoughts?
A little CA on 3 spots for each speaker seems to be holding them in.
Check out this perforated metal mesh from Speaker Works.

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
Check out this perforated metal mesh from Speaker Works.

Gary
Nice Gary! I am going to look into getting some of these, or something similar to go with the systems.

Andrew

http://www.mrrcsound.com
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:46 PM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,525 Posts
Yes very nice. My speaker has no covering so I handle the plane carefully. No problems so far.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:50 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
This is the screen I used to cover my speaker holes. It paints up very nice and blends in well, plus adds some rigidity so you don't poke you fingers into the speaker. It also does not inhibit the sound at all. this is currently what is on the FMS FW-190 I posted pictures of earlier

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/419/=ket740 (stock # 9227T414) It's also available in larger sheets
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:20 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Same speaker mesh I am using too. I like its structural strength.

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:37 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,475 Posts
Im using a metal mesh that is black so will finish off my install very well.
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:47 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,475 Posts
Just throwing this out there but this would be a great candidate for the Ultra system and looks very easy to install it

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_ARF_.html
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:38 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Dogfight at Crosswinds 12-01-12

Hi Guys,

Here's a video I shot today with my wingcam. It features the Mustang that is in the video link on Andrew's website. Since filming that video I have greatly increased the power of this plane.

Because the wing cam produces so much wind noise I turn the volume on that way down, so you can't hear the sound module. But I think you will all appreciate the exciting flying. I was trying to get on the tail of a glow-powered T-6 and managed to do it a couple of times. You can see the other plane in the video if you look closely. Since we were both going very fast, probably 70+ mph, getting on his tail was quite a feat.

Dogfight at Crosswinds 12-01-12 (5 min 3 sec)

Regards,

Jackson
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:28 AM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
Here is the install of the Budget "A" version in my V7 FMS BBD 1400mm Mustang

Note:as of 5/1/2013 I have now slightly changed this setup and sent the red amplifier board back to Andrew for a replacement to the more powerful Green Amp board and also added a second speaker in the fuselage at the back edge of the fuselage scoop under the wing. I have also configured it to be able to quickly change out the sound modules and be replaced with the new V4 sound module.
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; May 02, 2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:55 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,525 Posts
Very nice work
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:56 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Photo Passes at Crosswinds 12-01-12

Brandon - Very nice work! You are going to have a gorgeous looking and sounding Mustang my friend.

All,

Attached is another video I made of some low-level passes by the Mustang to get still photos yesterday. You can see the resulting photos in the first part of the video.

The second part of the video is the raw footage from the wing camera including the sound. After listening to it I think the sound turned out pretty well. You definitely have lots of wind noise, but you also hear the combined sound of the motor, prop and Merlin sound module. It is actually kind of cool to listen to the sound modulate as I apply more power in the turns.

The third part of the video is an unplanned belly landing that resulted when my retracts failed to deploy. This is also kind of cool and got me wondering how many forced landings by shot up planes occurred like this during WWII.

Cheers,

Jackson

Photo Passes at Crosswinds 12-01-12 (3 min 8 sec)
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:57 AM
Sweden, Gävleborg County, Gävle
Joined Aug 2012
547 Posts
Clean flight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
Brandon - Very nice work! You are going to have a gorgeous looking and sounding Mustang my friend.

All,

Attached is another video I made of some low-level passes by the Mustang to get still photos yesterday. You can see the resulting photos in the first part of the video.

The second part of the video is the raw footage from the wing camera including the sound. After listening to it I think the sound turned out pretty well. You definitely have lots of wind noise, but you also hear the combined sound of the motor, prop and Merlin sound module. It is actually kind of cool to listen to the sound modulate as I apply more power in the turns.

The third part of the video is an unplanned belly landing that resulted when my retracts failed to deploy. This is also kind of cool and got me wondering how many forced landings by shot up planes occurred like this during WWII.

Cheers,

Jackson

https://vimeo.com/54713200
Hi Jackson!
As alway nice footage and clean flights! You're firm still gentle on the stick!
Hope your pilot survived the belly!
Cheers
Lasse (-20dgr C and 20 cm of snow)
lassehellsten is offline Find More Posts by lassehellsten
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:52 AM
Make me a proper Spitfire!
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
1,005 Posts
Nice work on the Mustang Brandon

Cheers,
Terje
SAPSPIT is online now Find More Posts by SAPSPIT
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:50 AM
Joined Sep 2008
279 Posts
So I've read the whole thread, scoured the website and I really like what I see. this is looking like the best product on the market.

My problem is, I don't really know what combinations of speakers are compatible with the different systems. I am really interested in the very light "mini".

I scratch build foam and build foam ARFs and kits. most of my planes are smaller parkflyers. I am a stickler for wieght.

I would like to see more specs on the smaller speakers, how many can I put on the "mini", and perhaps combinations for the budget model also.

Great products, and thank you for your time.

A few other comments- the micro fog/smoke machine is really cool. I believe that the application should actually be geared towards realistic exhaust smoke on take-off. small light and good for a puff of start-up smoke. I have a WWI mercedes-daimler engine I'm designing for an albatros that has moving parts. it would be awesome to have start-up smoke come out the exhaust!

the other thing is the micro sound system. I scratch build micro planes, and the sound system would have to be no more than 7 to 8 grams to be feasible for indoor micros. but a system with 2 spkrs that wieghed an ounce or so would be
interesting for slowflyers. the eflite 250 slowflyer WWI products for example.
probably not a big seller though.

thanks again,

~don
dcwwcp is offline Find More Posts by dcwwcp
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:32 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Belly Landing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassehellsten View Post
Hi Jackson!
As alway nice footage and clean flights! You're firm still gentle on the stick!
Hope your pilot survived the belly!
Cheers
Lasse (-20dgr C and 20 cm of snow)
Hello Lasse,

Thanks for the compliments on my flying. I always try to fly warbirds smoothly.

My pilot survived the belly landing but was a little shook up. He went out that night and got seriously drunk. I guess it doesn't take much beer to get drunk when you are only a couple of inches tall. ; )

The Mustang is ready for more flight action. The P-47 needs some work to reattach the firewall that came loose when I was flying it with a 5S battery. While I love the looks of the big four-bladed stock prop I am thinking about going to a proper sport prop to get more power. I think the motor will swing an 17-18 inch prop with ease. The Ultra sound unit on the P-47 sounds tremendous.

Sorry to hear about your cold temperatures and snow. Time to get out the snow plane! I actually have a big Cub on floats that I am planning to use this winter as my snow plane. So far, though, our weather here in Colorado has been very mild. We continue to see temperatures in the range of 10-15 C, which is very conducive to flying. I have lots of winter building projects ready to go as soon as the weather gets really cold.

Best regards,

Jackson
Closed Thread