HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:58 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,253 Posts
DOH, I forgot all about doing that !!
I will do that tonight when I check over the plane from today's flying... and one harsh landing that fractured a retract mount.
I have been practicing trying to land on the 'runway'.. err, cricket pitch. And that is fraught with odds of a poor outcome! hehe. 22m x 2.5m isn't very big - I call it "the aircraft carrier". But fine for taking off from.
The issue is that any mis-aligment (which is 95% assured!) runs the plane off the 'edge' which is a combination of a step, and rough edging. thus a nose-flipping result.
Then the other main issue of needing to touch down right at the very start... to have the most length available that you can.... thus very tricky 'speed reduction/boost' portion right near that touchdown timing - and a reasonably common "flare into stall", and thus sometimes a drop to a harsh landing (just 0.5m or so).

I have landed to Spitfire on the 'deck' ONCE that I would call close to successful, out of about 20 tries.... and that once still ran askew and off the edge at about 2/3 length. All others are misaligned and run off much sooner - if they even touch-down on the 'deck' anyway!.
And ONCE 100% successfully with my Durafly Vampire! YAY!! It even stopped right at the last 1 metre! But with flaps down it comes in at near walking pace, which helps things a lot.. but even it skews off the side somewhere always (bar the once).
It is HARD... it would make a good competition! hehe
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,896 Posts
Peter,
check out my "flying field" if you can call it that. LOL This is on my property, it is only about 60' long and about 20' wide. Short percision landings are fun, once you get the hang of it. One wrong move though and it is either a trip to the swamp to get the plane, or things get busted up.

More short field landings (6 min 35 sec)

If you need any help or directions to modify the sound unit, let me know, I will walk you through it.

Andrew
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,253 Posts
LOL, that was all very good Andrew!!

You do have a very good approach path.
I have to come in at 25deg off alignment, to get through a 'lower tree gap' which lets me be down to about 20feet with 100feet to go. So have a bit less than that 100 feet to bank into line with the 7 foot wide runway, whilst doing the required power/slow motions so it can touch down dead on the start of the runway. So getting that 25deg re-alignment correct is the hardest part, followed by the guesstimation of lowest power into flare within about 6 feet margin for that touch down.

By the looks of it you would come closer than me though!!
I can see I need to stand more like where you do. I tend to be like your offset to the runway and plane passing, but say 20 feet more out into the landing path - the other side to you, and it banks in from that 25deg approach on the side you are standing. Plus on a steeper approach as it has to clear the trees before I can really begin the final process. I have hit the trees coming down too soon before! LOL, So I have to be SURE I am clear of them and that wastes a bit more space/time too.

Then throw in the 1.5/1.6m plane sizes.... which can not stop in 22m of hard runway anyway! lol. I mainly just land on the grass area with those - but even those sizes still don't like the landing gear duress it causes.
Now, if I had 44m x 4m... ahh, bliss.....

But practice makes perfect... so I need more practice!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,896 Posts
I can see where that would make for an intersting approach. The one thing I do have is a good long aproach line, so it is all about altitude, once I get lined up. I find the best place to stand for a short landing, for me is within 5 feet of the landing point, and try to touch down right in front of me. That is why I am at the end of the field, trying to get it down near the end so I have some run out room. Just don't make a mistake on final and hit yourself. I have come close a couple of times.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,253 Posts
Yeah, if you can get a smooth fluent process underway that is best. Then it is just a matter of moving to "Power X", which sustains a nice approach speed and decent rate, and adjust/cut power right at the end...... hmm, like a real plane! LOL
Because of the stupid trees, I am struggling to get it slowed down in time then. Too much height to lose and thus the speed gain prevents getting it slowed enough until the last seconds..
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:24 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
Peter,
check out my "flying field" if you can call it that. LOL This is on my property, it is only about 60' long and about 20' wide. Short percision landings are fun, once you get the hang of it. One wrong move though and it is either a trip to the swamp to get the plane, or things get busted up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMeBhNegj7s

If you need any help or directions to modify the sound unit, let me know, I will walk you through it.

Andrew
Andrew,

I looked at some of your Youtube videos. My jaw was agape at your aircraft carrier like takeoff and landing zone. Impressive precision landing.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Andrew,

I looked at some of your Youtube videos. My jaw was agape at your aircraft carrier like takeoff and landing zone. Impressive precision landing.
Thank you! Some days I can do them all day long. 30+ landings like that, other days, I can't get them down smooth at all. LOL It is lots of fun trying though.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:09 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
P-47 Remaiden Video

Guys,

Turns out the guy I asked to shoot the video just could not operate my camera. The only useful footage was the take off and landing. So, the video is very short. The good news is that there is a nice audio recording of the P-47 taken as I was taxiing the plane back to the pits. Gives you a sense of the wonderful sound emanating from the sound unit on the ground.

A humorous note. I set the plane down into the active taxi area and went over to get my Tx. Noticed some guys working on a plane near the P-47. So, I stood back at a distance and went through the start up sequence with the wonderful start-up noises. It was funny to watch their heads turn!

All the guys at the field loved the sound and look of the plane.

Next time I hope to find myself a good videographer and show you all what the P-47 does in the air.

Regards,

Jackson

P 47 at Cherry Creek 11 28 12 (0 min 50 sec)
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:32 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,890 Posts
I've been thinking about one of these units for a while, but haven't been able to decide on the model - no longer. Dynam are bringing out my all time favorite in the UK the new year, and I think it would be perfect for a sound system...

New Dynam Tiger Moth Bi-Plane Review (11 min 18 sec)

What do you think Andrew - can you knock up a Gypsy Major sound file by February? You'll be my best pal forever if you can - here's what I'm aiming for...

Tiger Moth biplane aerobatics (3 min 45 sec)
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:33 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,911 Posts
Andrew,
I had to install the mini speakers now, sice I need to glue and fiberglass my intercooler doors. The speakers are mounted just so that they just do not touch the back of the intercooler doors.
If you look at the mini speakers, there is the plastic case on the outside and then there is a piece of the speaker that goes around the outside of the cone, and sticks out past the speaker case by about 1/16th of an inch. This "flange" does not appear to be an actual part of the cone. But I am not sure. Anyone know if this part of the speaker actually produces sound or is there for some other reason.
I had to dremel the "speaker mesh" out of the plastic intercooler door. I suppose this will enough sound to escape? Any thoughts?
A little CA on 3 spots for each speaker seems to be holding them in.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,253 Posts
With no 'physical impedance' you get 100% sound volume.... But you have a large area of 'blockage'...... Probably 60% blocked. So that will matter to volume levels passing out, and being heard.
Better would be some form of cloth material, like Andrew supplies, stretched to be 'flat' and firm, and painted silver. Though paint will block that X amount too!!
Find some fine silver mesh.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:58 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,911 Posts
I wonder how much blockage the mesh cloth provided accounts for?
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,253 Posts
Maybe Andrew tested it with a dB meter?

But that "metal plate with holes" will be reflecting tons... and who knows what kind of reverberations/mixing comboobalation resultant! LOL

If a speaker cone moves X amount of air (eg On its outwards move), but not all of it can flow freely outwards, firstly the cone will meet resistance to travel and lose power/effect.
Then throw in a solid 'plate' that reflects sound waves also - which means sound waves heading BACK into the cone.... probably cancelling out newly coming waves to some degree at least.

I am thinking the best - next to having NOTHING in front at all - is a fine metal mesh grille. Often seen over speakers.
And the mesh Andrew gives is bound to be 'speaker mesh' that is designed to at least be as efficient as it can be. The same as seen on many/most home stereo speaker units.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:33 AM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
Andrew, The Budget "A" unit showed up today and all the changes in the wiring Look great, but forgot the servo lead connection between the individual units I was refering to, I'll make those changes my self...thanks.

I also noticed that there is no jumpers on the 2 jumper sets on the main amp board? is there supposed to be? On my "B Pro" unit there was (On one of them), and what exactly are the jumper sets there used for and thier purpose?

Brandon
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Nov 30, 2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:56 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,475 Posts
Andrew - Can you please answer this ? I am installing speaker metal mesh as the finial finish looks great but will this effect DB output ?
OzparkPilot is online now Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Closed Thread