SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,902 Posts
I just fired up the Spitfire with the sound system for the first time. My personal units speaker was not sealed in front, and vented in the rear like I have been doing in the version 2.5 units. I just did that before testing it out in the Spitfire. All I can say is HOLY COW! I knew they sounded better on the bench, but I was not expecting the lower rumble, and volume increase from it in the plane! Can't wait to put it back in the P-51 and 109 again! LOL

Andrew
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:34 PM
Sweden, Gävleborg County, Gävle
Joined Aug 2012
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
I just fired up the Spitfire with the sound system for the first time. My personal units speaker was not sealed in front, and vented in the rear like I have been doing in the version 2.5 units. I just did that before testing it out in the Spitfire. All I can say is HOLY COW! I knew they sounded better on the bench, but I was not expecting the lower rumble, and volume increase from it in the plane! Can't wait to put it back in the P-51 and 109 again! LOL

Andrew
Do all 2.5 have the voltage regulator? Bought my Budget in July
Cheers
Lasse
lassehellsten is offline Find More Posts by lassehellsten
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:41 PM
United States, WI, Delavan
Joined Aug 2012
148 Posts
Quote:
Series only. If you try to run them in parallel it is too much on the amp, and you will get sound cutting in and out.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew!!!

Can't wait to fire this thing up
jseese is offline Find More Posts by jseese
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lassehellsten View Post
Do all 2.5 have the voltage regulator? Bought my Budget in July
Cheers
Lasse
Yes, that was the main difference over the V2. If the power cables go into a heat shrinked black unit on the side, it is a 2.5. If it goes right into the red amplifier on the top then it is a version 2. The Mini is 2-4S only.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:49 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,264 Posts
Quote:

Andrew

So show us what you mean! Video, video, VID-EO
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post

So show us what you mean! Video, video, VID-EO
OK. That is why I am doing all these. I need to get some more videos done. I can probably get a video doen tomorrow. If the weather is good, I may be able to do a flight video.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:50 PM
USA, OH, Kent
Joined Feb 2011
162 Posts
Hi Andrew,yeswhen I first installed the sound system in my Spitfire and met Aerobatman Steve for a dogfight with his FW190 it was not very impressive next to his 190 . Then I did the mods to the box & cut a large vent hole in the bottom of the fuselage just behind the wing & the difference was amazing ! It is sooo cool hearing the two distinctly different engine sounds as well as the guns as we chase eachother around the CMAC airfield. Hopefully he got some useable video to post of them flying together. Also I can report from first hand experience that your sound systems are pretty tough as my original Pro A unit has survived three hard crashes [ oak tree on takeoff with crosswind, straight in from 150' because of loss of signal and full throttle low inverted pass [ 1 inch is tooo low ] but it was a real crowd pleaser! ] I can't wait to hear the Ultra system in the 1700mm P47 or the 2000mm P40 warhawk or maybe the 2000mm B17 orrrr , to many decisions. It's a good thing ohio winters are so long or I'd never get all these planes built LOL!! Bill.....
spitfirebill is online now Find More Posts by spitfirebill
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfirebill View Post
Hi Andrew,yeswhen I first installed the sound system in my Spitfire and met Aerobatman Steve for a dogfight with his FW190 it was not very impressive next to his 190 . Then I did the mods to the box & cut a large vent hole in the bottom of the fuselage just behind the wing & the difference was amazing ! It is sooo cool hearing the two distinctly different engine sounds as well as the guns as we chase eachother around the CMAC airfield. Hopefully he got some useable video to post of them flying together. Also I can report from first hand experience that your sound systems are pretty tough as my original Pro A unit has survived three hard crashes [ oak tree on takeoff with crosswind, straight in from 150' because of loss of signal and full throttle low inverted pass [ 1 inch is tooo low ] but it was a real crowd pleaser! ] I can't wait to hear the Ultra system in the 1700mm P47 or the 2000mm P40 warhawk or maybe the 2000mm B17 orrrr , to many decisions. It's a good thing ohio winters are so long or I'd never get all these planes built LOL!! Bill.....
Yes, it was his input that made me change the design. Instead of a single hole, it is 4 smaller holes, 2 on each side. I knew it was making a huge difference from the reports that I was getting, but I had not implimented them on my own systems yet.

Glad to hear that they are taking a beating and keep on running.

I have two new planes on the way. A FMS P-38, which I am going to use to demo the twin engine sound unit, and the new FMS Pits. I plan on putting an Ultra in the Pits, and if I still have room, a smoke system too. Next season is going to be much larger for me. I am going to hit a number of RC airshows, and have at least 5-6 planes to demo.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:53 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lassehellsten View Post
Hi
Cannot use chan 7 on RX because TX only has 6 ch

Mix Thr with free channel ( gear 5 or flaps 6)
Always ON (inhibits switch on TX) Sound unit to slavech, no Y
Set subtrim on slave ch ( 5 or 6) until enginsound is about to start.
Throttleup should no give startdound snd then prop starts
Needs some finetuning but works like a charm
Lasse
Thank you for this. I'm just starting to understand the things this TX can do and how to do them. For the 'scale' effect to be strong the sound timing needs to be close to the action. I guess I'll forgo hooking up the flaps as this 57" FMS P-51 D has both gear and flaps.

Thanks again,
DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:11 PM
Roaring Radial Fanatic
United States, OH, Hilliard
Joined Jan 2012
50 Posts
Andrew,
I haven't followed your thread for a while, but I see that you are doing mods for the rear of the speaker enclosure and getting results. Some guys that I know who have the more expensive sound systems are putting fiber fill in the enclosure and stuffing in as much as they can. That helps also. Then, they vent it out through a tube , preferrably with a few bends in it. Maybe 1/2 inch in dia. or so. They fill that with the fiber also. It makes it a bigger enclosure and increases the bass. When I get a video from one of my friends, I will pass it on to you. I think that the theory is that by filling the airspace up, you force the air out at a higher rate, but it flows through the fiber.
Greg
corsairnut is offline Find More Posts by corsairnut
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:03 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsairnut View Post
Andrew,
I haven't followed your thread for a while, but I see that you are doing mods for the rear of the speaker enclosure and getting results. Some guys that I know who have the more expensive sound systems are putting fiber fill in the enclosure and stuffing in as much as they can. That helps also. Then, they vent it out through a tube , preferrably with a few bends in it. Maybe 1/2 inch in dia. or so. They fill that with the fiber also. It makes it a bigger enclosure and increases the bass. When I get a video from one of my friends, I will pass it on to you. I think that the theory is that by filling the airspace up, you force the air out at a higher rate, but it flows through the fiber.
Greg
Yes, Yes and NO! What a wonderful comment you made to this subject. What you boys are talking about is a 'Transmission line' speaker. Make sure the 'front' and 'back wave' can't cancel each other out. Separate them and if you know the resonate tone of the box (airplane and the boom that happens when the box starts to 'help' play the music).

Rock on Dudes, I'm on my second glass of wine, but I know where your going and thank you.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:09 AM
Name brands compare me...Why?
United States, NJ
Joined Feb 2012
369 Posts
Well Andrew...Looks like I finally get to maiden the sound system this weekend.
Hope I get some video!

Thanks for all your help and prompt customer service.

Dave
BRAND X is offline Find More Posts by BRAND X
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:05 AM
Sweden, Gävleborg County, Gävle
Joined Aug 2012
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAND X View Post
Well Andrew...Looks like I finally get to maiden the sound system this weekend.
Hope I get some video!

Thanks for all your help and prompt customer service.

Dave
Nice development on speaker design in RC planes
A few principles
1 infinit baffle = closed box totally separating front and back of speakercone
2 Adding pipe on back = transmission line speaker
3 Box with open port= bassreflex/vented port
4 Bass horn ( most efficient) tricky to get the space in an airplane

Generally fome is too soundabsorbing and not rigid enough to work as a good speaker
Subwoofer Simulator show some basic designs.
We need to do calculations to get a predictable result.
A small speaker with a horn can give fantastic bass due to small difference between electric and acoustic impedance.
You would need the large foamies to fit and carry a larger enclosure.

On the other hand
Andrews stuff works great as is so.... Maybe we fly instead of building a flying loudspeaker?
http://users.on.net/~isaacmcn/audio/.../newsubsim.htm
lassehellsten is offline Find More Posts by lassehellsten
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:13 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,902 Posts
Thank you all for your input. I have concidered the speaker fill in the past, but I think it may overheat the speaker. Adding tubes and stuff are going to add size and weight too. After the much experimentation I have done, keeping the sound from the rear of the speaker from canceling out the front is the most improtant. So if there is no gap around the speaker/enclosure, then it should project most of the volume it can. The resonence from the back does help.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:00 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,933 Posts
Andrew wrote:
"Instead of a single hole, it is 4 smaller holes, 2 on each side."

Are you guys talking about the holes in the red enclosure?
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Closed Thread