HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,849 Posts
Guys,
I am thinking of getting at least one, maybe 2 planes do put the sound systems in to do more videos, and maybe something to test the smoke system in. I was thinking the FMS Pitts. What other plane should I look at? P-47? FW-190? Zero? AT-6? Mosquito with a twin sound?

Andrew
http://www.mrrcsound.com
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:14 AM
Sweden, Gävleborg County, Gävle
Joined Aug 2012
541 Posts
A twin merlin (Mosquito) is something nice to show, can you get the engines just a bit out of sych would make it actually sound like 2 engines.
Lasse
lassehellsten is offline Find More Posts by lassehellsten
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lassehellsten View Post
A twin merlin (Mosquito) is something nice to show, can you get the engines just a bit out of sych would make it actually sound like 2 engines.
Lasse
Yea, that is kind of what I was thinking. That would sound pretty good. It should be easy to do.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Aug 2012
541 Posts
Do you think an Ultra would fit in an FMS Corsair 1400 and what about the wing load ?
Seems to be some space where the winghalves are fused.
If the units were fixed they could help stiffen the wing.
Th small speakers on the sides of the fuse
Lasse
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,849 Posts
Quote:
Do you think an Ultra would fit in an FMS Corsair 1400 and what about the wing load ?
Lasse
In all honesty I don't know. I have not seen the inside of the Corsair. I thnik it would probably haul it, but it may be a tad lathargic.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Aug 2012
541 Posts
http://www.veengle.com/s/Fms%2BCorsair/8.html
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:08 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
After looking at your pictures, I think the install may be part of the issue. You may be getting some sound canceling effects.

Here is my reccomendation. Move the speakers closer to the hole, not quite as deep if you can. They don't need to be flush with the outside, but the closer the better.

It also looks like you have some pretty good gaps on either side of the speaker. Seal them off with foam or soemthing so that the only thing that you see is the top of the speaker. If there is a gap there, the resonating sound from inside the cabin will flow around to the front of the speaker. This will cause sound canceling. So basically what you want, is just the front of the speaker showing to the outside. Also make sure the speaker cone is not hitting the edge of the balsa mount. It may not be, but in the picture it looks like it could.

That should significantly improve the volume output. The Ultra is a loud system, it should do better than that.

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for these tips and tricks. I was out today with my daughter who is visiting from Cambridge, Mass, where she goes to college. No time to work on or fly planes, but had time to think about them.

My plan for the next round of tweaking on the sound system is as follows:

1) Turn off gun switch for now to get max volume;
2) Move bottom speaker closer to bottom of fuselage. This will involve cutting some foam. Secure on side instead of bottom. Seal off area around speaker cone to insure maximum projection of sound. I believe the bottom speaker is the most important for sound projection during flight.
3) Seal off area around top speaker but leave in current position.

I will leave the 1.22" speakers as is.

Another thought was using a light metal mesh for the speaker hole covers to reduce any blockage of the sound. Something like what you find covering speakers in car stereo installations. The mesh can be contoured to match the fuselage.

I found an example of what I am talking about here: http://www.speakerworks.com/SAMPLE_C...cg2psample.htm

Any ideas in this regard?

Regards,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:16 AM
Joined Aug 2012
541 Posts
Good solution. Have used it myself for homebuilt horn speakers. can easily be painted in matching colors, as these installations should be as incvisible as possible.
Lasse
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:24 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,458 Posts
Quote:
Lasse
Im just fitting the Ultra system in a 1400mm Fw-190 - To be honest, its really a very delicate mod but let me tell you it IS possible

The main issues is hitting the hidden engine mount that sunk into the foam. The major benifit of using a wood / composite fuse is you can see inside it. with foam you just have to line it up and hope for the best. I have had to move the system three times now and there is little foam left but its a fun build and should end up with great results so.... go for it !!!
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:27 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,450 Posts
As I am new to this site, pardon me for not reading every posting. The sounds produced sound just like those used in Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator. These sounds are easily changed between aircraft by moving files etc. Is it possible to program our own sounds into your module or change the sound if fitting to a different plane? I would think it should be a very simple task.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:01 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
815 Posts
Grantham,

Sorry, I don't think you can program your own sounds. But there are eight sounds to choose from.

Jackson
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:07 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
815 Posts
P-47 at Cherry Creek

Guys,

I took the P-47 out to Cherry Creek RC field today. Haven't had time to tweak the sound system or replace the landing gear, so I just flew as is. Had a couple of great flights . There were a fair number of both pilots and spectators as the weather was exceptionally fine today. The sound system was a definite hit as were the good looks and scale flying properties of the P-47.

I am headed to California on Thursday through this weekend to visit family and work on a project. I don't expect to make any further progress on the P-47 until next week. My hope is to finish all the tweaks and then get a video made similar to the Mustang and Bucker videos on the Mr. RC Sound website. Stay tuned!

Regards,

Jackson
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:01 AM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Canada, ON
Joined Oct 2010
1,044 Posts
Wicked cool.

sub'd

RF
Red Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Red Flyer
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:27 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,849 Posts
Jackson is correct. Currently there is no way to load your own sounds. This may be a feature available in future versions however.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:35 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,849 Posts
Award Winning!

Everyone, I would like to throw out a big congrats to Jim Slaughter. He flew a Dynam Waco fitted with one of my Budget A sound system at the 2012 Wattfest. The combination of a great plane, great flying, and the sound unit won him the Pilot's Choice Award!

Here is what Jim had to say:

"Hi, I flew my Dynam Waco bipe in a two day event this past weekend. I had installed the smaller unit you sent me. It was a HUGE hit of the show. In fact, it won pilot's choice award. The sound was awesome! EASILY heard in spite of 35mph wind gusts."

Congrats to Jim!!!!!
Site Sponsor
Closed Thread