820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lassehellsten View Post
Jackson
Watch this and dont fly your P47 until replacements arrived
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1749176
Med vänlig hälsning Lasse
Lasse,

Yep. Already saw this and commented on another blog. I watched the video and have to say it is the coolest mid-air explosion of an RC plane that I have seen yet. I honestly don't think the small amount of mass that the spinner represents is going to take down my plane. But, I'm the guy that burned up my Mustang motor on a 5S battery.

We have rainy weather forecast for tomorrow. I have my Mustang needing repairs, the P-47 waiting on sound unit installation, my Sea Vixen needing the installation of a replacement nose strut, and a Top Flite 64 inch P-51 ready to fly with a Supertigre 2300. I have a full build-n-fly agenda for the weekend!

Wishing you clear skies my friend,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:04 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
820 Posts
It's 1:00 a.m. and I just finished the install of the Ultra sound system in the P-47. I managed to install it just as I had hoped: the 2" speakers facing up and down, and the 1.22" speakers porting out to the lower sides. I have taken pictures along the way and will post them tomorrow. I still have to make the covers for the top and bottom, but that should go quickly.

I did test the sound system as I was installing it once I had finished all the wiring and soldering; just to make certain everything was working. Wow! This is one powerful sound system. I am planning to use the gun feature, so the sound is slightly attentuated from its full potential (per the data sheet that Andrew sent with the module). Still, my initial impression is that this sound system will produce a very loud and convincing Double Wasp sound.

Tomorrow and Sunday I should be able to get everything ready for a remaiden of the plane. I am going to build a plywood firewall to mount the engine to and replace the poorly designed stock firewall. Also need to mount the new retracts, struts and wheels.

Cheers,

Jackson
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:51 AM
Sweden, Gävleborg County, Gävle
Joined Aug 2012
547 Posts
Hi
Onestly I´ve been rethinking. Could it be that the Corsair guy didn´t mount the prop blades
tight enough? remember his saying "the bird is a slug"?
maybe an idicator of something being wrong. What´s your opinion? If the Jug 1700 has speed so should a Whisteling Dead.
Cheers
Lasse
BTW Windy +5° C raaain. Nono fyingconditions.
lassehellsten is offline Find More Posts by lassehellsten
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:33 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
820 Posts
Lasse,

There could be many factors contributing to the "catastrophic failure" of the Corsair. One possibility that seems to have been overlooked, IMHO, is enemy fire. What if the plane blew up as the result of one carefully aimed anti-aircraft round? Not likely you say? Ha ha, you are probably right. But, when I show people this video, that will be my explanation.

I have a few more modifications to do on the P-47 prior to remaiden. Hope to get them done by tomorrow as tomorrow is supposed to be a fine weather day.

The Ultra sound module sounds fantastic!

Cheers,

Jackson
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:56 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,315 Posts
please give us a video when you have a chance thank you Jackson..
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Aug 2012
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
please give us a video when you have a chance thank you Jackson..
So the Gerrys are still around!?!?! In US airspace?!?! Hard to believe!
A European guy not slwsys believing what he sees😡
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:54 PM
Joined Aug 2012
547 Posts
slwsys is always in Polish ( on the allied side)
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:35 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
820 Posts
P-47 Sound System Installation

Guys,

Attached are some photos of my installation process for the Ultra Sound Unit in the Hobby King 1600mm P-47.

Basically, I cut square holes for the larger 2 inch speakers with attached amplifiers, and round holes for the 1.22" speakers. The 2 inch speakers were mounted to basswood rails using Velcro. The smaller speakers were friction fit into place.

I found that after a couple of test flights the smaller speakers had come out of position, so I will redo with some adhesive.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Jack
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:41 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
820 Posts
P-47 Remaiden

Got in three test flights of the P-47 during remaiden with Ultra sound system.

Here are some photos on the ground.

Jackson
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:55 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
820 Posts
P-47 Taxiing

Since I was alone I could not get any photos or video while the plane was flying. I am a good pilot and a good videographer, but not good enough to do both at once.

However, I was able to get some video with the camera of the plane taxiing around. I will load it to the Video Gallery and provide a link.

Regards,

Jackson
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:29 AM
Joined Aug 2012
547 Posts
Nice!
Loun n' Proud I suppose !
Did the speakers get your
CG correct? She was a bit tailheavy at first.
Do you think a FMS Mustang or Corsair 1400 could take the Ultra aswell? or will the wingload go up to much?
Cant wait to see and listen to the airborne Jug!
Cheers
Lasse
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:28 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
Since I was alone I could not get any photos or video while the plane was flying. I am a good pilot and a good videographer, but not good enough to do both at once.

However, I was able to get some video with the camera of the plane taxiing around. I will load it to the Video Gallery and provide a link.

Regards,

Jackson
Looking forward to seeing and hearing the video! Great job on the install. How did it sound?

Andrew
http://www.mrrcsound.com
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:24 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
820 Posts
Guys,

I have posted a short video to YouTube on the P-47 so you can see and hear it taxiing.

Hobby King P-47 with Mr. RC Sound module (1 min 17 sec)

I will be out for the day but will check in tonight.

Cheers,

Jackson
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
Guys,

I have posted a short video to YouTube on the P-47 so you can see and hear it taxiing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeoaRiuJZSw

I will be out for the day but will check in tonight.

Cheers,

Jackson
Wow, that motor/prop must be LOUD! Was that with the gun module on or off? I know how loud the Ultra is, I can't imagine the prop being louder, or is it just the way the camera picked it up?

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,912 Posts
After looking at your pictures, I think the install may be part of the issue. You may be getting some sound canceling effects.

Here is my reccomendation. Move the speakers closer to the hole, not quite as deep if you can. They don't need to be flush with the outside, but the closer the better.

It also looks like you have some pretty good gaps on either side of the speaker. Seal them off with foam or soemthing so that the only thing that you see is the top of the speaker. If there is a gap there, the resonating sound from inside the cabin will flow around to the front of the speaker. This will cause sound canceling. So basically what you want, is just the front of the speaker showing to the outside. Also make sure the speaker cone is not hitting the edge of the balsa mount. It may not be, but in the picture it looks like it could.

That should significantly improve the volume output. The Ultra is a loud system, it should do better than that.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Closed Thread