HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:57 PM
London Ont.
Joined Sep 2006
333 Posts
Hi Andrew it is the 1400 FMS 109. What is the location of your unit?

Thanks Greg
FWCXC is offline Find More Posts by FWCXC
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:20 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
790 Posts
Andrew,

I had a blast at the Warbirds over the Rockies event today. I flew my Mustang and my Bucker Jungmann with the big boys. They fly six airplanes at a time during open flying. Most of the planes were 70 inches or more of wingspan and weighed somewhere between 10 and 50 pounds. On my first flight of the Bucker there were three turbine-powered jets in the air moving along at speeds between 100 and 150 mph. They used my bright yellow biplane like a traffic cone in the sky; turning and banking around it. Kinda cool, but a little nerve-wracking. There were about 150 pilots and probably 500 spectators there.

With all the noise from two strokes, four strokes and turbine-powered jets (not to mention the loudspeakers playing music and narration), the sound module noise was pretty well drowned out. I did get some positive comments from other guys in the flight line who heard the engine noises as we lined up to fly. One guy tracked me down at my car because he was very intrigued by the Mustang.

I got lots of video of the WOTR event and will post it as a video to RCGroups when I get around to editing it.

Regards,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:17 AM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined Nov 2004
740 Posts
I have an odd problem. For the past couple of weeks my sound unit came on just after the prop started spinning. Not the sound does not come on till I hit half throttle, any idea whats happening here?
daylight99 is offline Find More Posts by daylight99
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:29 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWCXC View Post
Hi Andrew it is the 1400 FMS 109. What is the location of your unit?

Thanks Greg
I will try to get some pictures for you today.

Andrew
MrRCFlying is online now Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:30 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
Andrew,

I had a blast at the Warbirds over the Rockies event today. I flew my Mustang and my Bucker Jungmann with the big boys. They fly six airplanes at a time during open flying. Most of the planes were 70 inches or more of wingspan and weighed somewhere between 10 and 50 pounds. On my first flight of the Bucker there were three turbine-powered jets in the air moving along at speeds between 100 and 150 mph. They used my bright yellow biplane like a traffic cone in the sky; turning and banking around it. Kinda cool, but a little nerve-wracking. There were about 150 pilots and probably 500 spectators there.

With all the noise from two strokes, four strokes and turbine-powered jets (not to mention the loudspeakers playing music and narration), the sound module noise was pretty well drowned out. I did get some positive comments from other guys in the flight line who heard the engine noises as we lined up to fly. One guy tracked me down at my car because he was very intrigued by the Mustang.

I got lots of video of the WOTR event and will post it as a video to RCGroups when I get around to editing it.

Regards,

Jackson
Sounds like you had a great time! Kind of hard to compete against the realy loud IC engines, but hey, it still did get some comments.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:31 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylight99 View Post
I have an odd problem. For the past couple of weeks my sound unit came on just after the prop started spinning. Not the sound does not come on till I hit half throttle, any idea whats happening here?
It has to be a set up issue someplace. Did trim settings change? Expo, end point, all can have an effect. You could also reset the ESC thottle range, see if that helps. Not exactly sure, but it sounds like something changed.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:19 PM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined Nov 2004
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
It has to be a set up issue someplace. Did trim settings change? Expo, end point, all can have an effect. You could also reset the ESC thottle range, see if that helps. Not exactly sure, but it sounds like something changed.

Andrew
I'm at a loss. I have tried trim settings, travel settings but the lag between the motor coming on and the sound coming on stays the same. Only when I get the motor to takeoff speed does the sound finally come on. Maybe the voltage regulator is acting up?

Like I said before, when I first installed it both the sound & motor came on together.
daylight99 is offline Find More Posts by daylight99
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylight99 View Post
I'm at a loss. I have tried trim settings, travel settings but the lag between the motor coming on and the sound coming on stays the same. Only when I get the motor to takeoff speed does the sound finally come on. Maybe the voltage regulator is acting up?

Like I said before, when I first installed it both the sound & motor came on together.
Hmm... No, it would not be the voltage regulator, that would affect volume output. I am as confused as you are. Can you bench test it on another TX/RX and ESC if you have one? Shoot me a PM, and we will try some other things.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,435 Posts
Here is a procedure I posted on the Airfield/FMS Stuka thread for fitting the MrRcSound module. Hope it helps somebody:

I felt it best to remove the wing to make a cut-out for the bottom speaker. Sorry I can't dissect the wing. Once the cut-out was made I glued the red speaker cabinet in with epoxy and made a speaker cover from the speaker cap included with the sound kit.
The red speaker cabinet was separated from the sound board and its components before the cut-out was made. Take care to mark the module sound board's black speaker wire terminal with a magic marker before removing both red and black speaker wires from the terminals so you won't be puzzled as to which wire goes where..

I felt the speaker wires needed more length so after i removed them from the board I soldered on some extra wire to the speaker wires, perhaps 4 to 5 inches, I don't remember.
Here is a view of the SECOND cut-out from the top.

Here is an expanded view of all the components:

Here is a view of the two components velcroed inside with the sound board between them. You can reach the sound switch easily to get different sounds.

But remember you will need to make a connection for the sound board also:

This is how it looks with the battery Dean's connector ready for a battery. It's a tight fit but not an exceedingly difficult job IMO.

As far as battery times are concerned my new stock 25C 2200 mAh 4S battery will fly for about 5 minutes with a remaining 15.3 volts from a full battery(16.7 volts). The 3S 3400mAh 30C battery gets about 7 minutes and leaves about 11.4 volts from a full battery (12.6 volts). Your times will vary according to the age and condition of your battery so be warned.

They are still talking about my Stuka at the local Markham Park airfield. Just this morning I am still receiving compliments.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:30 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,575 Posts
URRL,
Did you notice a decrease in flying time with it installed?
BTW... you must have bought the last Stuka because they were showing out of stock that same day.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
Here is a procedure I posted on the Airfield/FMS Stuka thread for fitting the MrRcSound module. Hope it helps somebody:

I felt it best to remove the wing to make a cut-out for the bottom speaker. Sorry I can't dissect the wing. Once the cut-out was made I glued the red speaker cabinet in with epoxy and made a speaker cover from the speaker cap included with the sound kit.
The red speaker cabinet was separated from the sound board and its components before the cut-out was made. Take care to mark the module sound board's black speaker wire terminal with a magic marker before removing both red and black speaker wires from the terminals so you won't be puzzled as to which wire goes where..

I felt the speaker wires needed more length so after i removed them from the board I soldered on some extra wire to the speaker wires, perhaps 4 to 5 inches, I don't remember.
Here is a view of the SECOND cut-out from the top.

Here is an expanded view of all the components:

Here is a view of the two components velcroed inside with the sound board between them. You can reach the sound switch easily to get different sounds.

But remember you will need to make a connection for the sound board also:

This is how it looks with the battery Dean's connector ready for a battery. It's a tight fit but not an exceedingly difficult job IMO.

As far as battery times are concerned my new stock 25C 2200 mAh 4S battery will fly for about 5 minutes with a remaining 15.3 volts from a full battery(16.7 volts). The 3S 3400mAh 30C battery gets about 7 minutes and leaves about 11.4 volts from a full battery (12.6 volts). Your times will vary according to the age and condition of your battery so be warned.

They are still talking about my Stuka at the local Markham Park airfield. Just this morning I am still receiving compliments.
Great job! Thanks for passing that along. Do you think there would have been room in the Stuka for the unit as a whole, with a little cutting of foam? Just wondering it it could be kept all in one for mobitlity reasons.

Andrew
http://www.mrrcsound.com
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
URRL,
Did you notice a decrease in flying time with it installed?
BTW... you must have bought the last Stuka because they were showing out of stock that same day.
As a general rule, you should not notice much. The single speaker system will draw about 14-15W at about .5-.75A. With the two mini speakers added on, as we were talking about, it should be in the 25W/1.25A range. So realistically on a 10 minute flight you may loose 30 seconds to 1 minute of flying time.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:17 PM
Sweden, Gävleborg County, Gävle
Joined Aug 2012
528 Posts
Quote:
As a general rule, you should not notice much. The single speaker system will draw about 14-15W at about .5-.75A. With the two mini speakers added on, as we were talking about, it should be in the 25W/1.25A range. So realistically on a 10 minute flight you may loose 30 seconds to 1 minute of flying time.

Andrew
The added value is worth the time lost for the pilot and the spectators! How much time is a smile worth??
Lasse
lassehellsten is online now Find More Posts by lassehellsten
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:47 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,575 Posts
Gotcha! Thanks.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Great job! Thanks for passing that along. Do you think there would have been room in the Stuka for the unit as a whole, with a little cutting of foam? Just wondering it it could be kept all in one for mobitlity reasons.

Andrew
I think its possible if you are cutting from the bottom and intend to insert the unit from the bottom.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Closed Thread