Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:25 PM
Name brands compare me...Why?
United States, NJ
Joined Feb 2012
369 Posts
Andrew

Do you have any examples of this system in a FMS 1700 P-51? I'm curious if this would fit (4 speaker version) and how.
BRAND X is offline Find More Posts by BRAND X
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAND X View Post
Andrew

Do you have any examples of this system in a 1700 FMS? I'm curious if this would fit (4 speaker version) and how.
Currently no. It may fit, but I am not sure if anyone has done a 1700mm yet. The Ultra would be the best sounding for it. If it would not fit, I reccomend the Budget or Pro with a pair of the mini speakers. Boy, I would almost be tempted to shoe horn in an ultra though.

Andrew
http://www.mrrcsound.com
MrRCFlying is online now Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:42 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Feb 2012
369 Posts
I'll have my plane this weekend and measure to see if it (ultra) might work. I really hope so!
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,862 Posts
Quote:
I'll have my plane this weekend and measure to see if it (ultra) might work. I really hope so!
OK. If not, probably a Budget or Pro with a pair of 1.22" would work.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:37 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,644 Posts
I can attest this is a great vendor to work with.
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:50 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,581 Posts
Andrew,

What power source does the sound unit run off of? separate lipo, main lipo, servo channel? I couldn't find an info on your website. Haven't got around to looking at those videos you said were up but I'm eyeing the budget pro setup as I would use it in both my 1.7 m FMS P51 (Ferocious Frankie) & 1.45m FMS v4 P51 (Shangri la). Also once installed would love to get some onboard cam video displaying the sound.

Thanks!
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Andrew,

What power source does the sound unit run off of? separate lipo, main lipo, servo channel? I couldn't find an info on your website. Haven't got around to looking at those videos you said were up but I'm eyeing the budget pro setup as I would use it in both my 1.7 m FMS P51 (Ferocious Frankie) & 1.45m FMS v4 P51 (Shangri la). Also once installed would love to get some onboard cam video displaying the sound.

Thanks!
It can actually use either the flight pack, or a sepperate pack. I reccomend the flight pack. I have a voltage regulator on the systems now that allow use up to an 8S pack. Draw is low for the single speaker system, about 15w, at .75A or so.

Here is a video I did a while back of the unit in the FMS-P51. My 9 year old son did the recording, so it is not super, but he did a good job.
RC airplane Sound Module In action (6 min 11 sec)

Here is more profesional video in another FMS p-51.
MrRCSound RC airplane sound module video. (2 min 4 sec)

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:50 PM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105 View Post
Will be keeping an eye on this... have a couple of birds in the build queue I wouldn't mind adding sound to (H9 Corsair 50 & Spitfire 60). Having trouble convincing myself to cut holes in them for the speakers... even with mesh covering...
I assume both birds are made of wood&fibre, I know the H9 is.

During the tests I did, I found exciter speakers to be a good option for wood&fibre models as they do resonate quite well. They also work on foamies, but not that well.

See here: http://www.visaton.de/en/chassis_zub...all/index.html

and here: http://www.visaton.de/downloads/pdf/...principles.pdf

I tried both the EX45 and the EX60, the latter being quite loud on foam already, just not as much as I hoped for.

Maybe that would be a good speaker option to offer for wood&fibre models?

Cheers,
Bernhard
Beltpilot is offline Find More Posts by Beltpilot
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:59 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Feb 2012
369 Posts
Will any of these power one main speaker and 2 of the smaller ones?
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Will any of these power one main speaker and 2 of the smaller ones?
Yes, the Budget or Pro will power the main speaker, and two of the mini speakers in series. So the main would be out the bottom, and two on the sides. The mini's are not super loud, but it helps with the overall distrobution of sound. If someone orders 2 speakers with a sound unit, I set them up in series, and test the whole thing as a unit before shipping.

I should mention, I run each system for a timed 5 minute test, and several run ups and downs before packing and shipping. Sometimes I do 10 minutes. Every fifth or so unit I will randomly choose one and run it for 30-45minutes strait, just to make sure I have a long run on a random unit.

Andrew
http://www.mrrcsound.com
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltpilot View Post
I assume both birds are made of wood&fibre, I know the H9 is.

During the tests I did, I found exciter speakers to be a good option for wood&fibre models as they do resonate quite well. They also work on foamies, but not that well.

See here: http://www.visaton.de/en/chassis_zub...all/index.html

and here: http://www.visaton.de/downloads/pdf/...principles.pdf

I tried both the EX45 and the EX60, the latter being quite loud on foam already, just not as much as I hoped for.

Maybe that would be a good speaker option to offer for wood&fibre models?

Cheers,
Bernhard
That is something I will look into. I tried a couple of those, a different brand, but was not too thrilled with the results.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:12 PM
London Ont.
Joined Sep 2006
333 Posts
Subscribed
Greg
FWCXC is offline Find More Posts by FWCXC
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:13 PM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
That is something I will look into. I tried a couple of those, a different brand, but was not too thrilled with the results.

Andrew
I also tried one other brand, forgot what it was as it was very disappointing and I sold it immediately.

However as said, I was not thrilled using them in foamies as well. I did not try them on a wood&fibre bird because the ones I own are quite small (GP WWI birds).

However, I am pretty sure they do work well on those models. The sound was quite impressive when I attached the unit to a rather thin, wooden board and to the plastic door of the cabinet I keep some of my hobby stuff in.

Cheers,
Bernhard
Beltpilot is offline Find More Posts by Beltpilot
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:31 PM
Akron, Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
425 Posts
Good idea with your own thread Andrew! I'm loving your Pro System in my FMS FW-190! I found that making the speaker porting hole larger than 1/2" provided even more resonance and louder sound. I tried to have a friend video tape me with my Canon HD camcorder but he only got the take-off. Will try again soon and post.
Aerobatman is offline Find More Posts by Aerobatman
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:22 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,799 Posts
subscribed
NCRealEstateGuy is online now Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Closed Thread