HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:08 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,154 Posts
Gentlemen, shall we return to the thread topic? Andrew's sound system.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:12 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,530 Posts
I guess it was one post too many for ya aye! lol! Proceed!

Andrew sorry just trying to help Jackson out.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:09 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,846 Posts
No sweat guys. Rabit trails don't hurt once in a while.

On another note, I put the smoke system in a plane today, but it was too windy to fly. I think I am going to re-build it anyway, closer to what a sale version may be. If it all works well, and can be seen in the air, and I can get a good video for you guys, I will probably start taking pre orders. I thnik the smoke will disipate some in the prop wash, so it will not be super dense, but after testing on the ground today, I believe it will be seen in the air.

Andrew
http://www.mrrcsound.com
MrRCFlying is online now Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
How often do we write LOL, and not actually do it? That litterally made me LOL!!

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:35 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Glad the LOL is justified.

Looking forward to the smoke video.

Let me know when the smoke is ready and you can put me down for 2.

Orion
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:39 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
No sweat guys. Rabit trails don't hurt once in a while.

On another note, I put the smoke system in a plane today, but it was too windy to fly. I think I am going to re-build it anyway, closer to what a sale version may be. If it all works well, and can be seen in the air, and I can get a good video for you guys, I will probably start taking pre orders. I thnik the smoke will disipate some in the prop wash, so it will not be super dense, but after testing on the ground today, I believe it will be seen in the air.

Andrew
http://www.mrrcsound.com
Andrew, when I fly my Pitts in the sim, the smoke isn't much but gives a sense of reality and that's big. As I've said the only senses that we bring to this experience are sight, 'Palpetic' = feel (the tx) and sound. I see your artistic passion. Your pursuing everything that helps us make this experience real

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,846 Posts
Sculptor/Pax,
I just want to make sure that the expectations are real. The density is not going to be like the smoke trails from parifin injection, I am not sure if that is even possible, especially in a small size and weight. I think for war birds though, it will give a cool "shoot down" smoke effect. Combine with the sound module, it would make for some very realistic dog fights. If it was piped out to the wingtips and not in the prop wash, I think it may be thicker, more like a tracking smoke, but still probably not as thick.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:38 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,728 Posts
I've ran a test and review of the twin mini 1.22" speakers on the MrRCSound Budget unit. Check it out on my "MrRCSound System" pg.

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:46 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
Sculptor/Pax,
I just want to make sure that the expectations are real. The density is not going to be like the smoke trails from parifin injection, I am not sure if that is even possible, especially in a small size and weight. I think for war birds though, it will give a cool "shoot down" smoke effect. Combine with the sound module, it would make for some very realistic dog fights. If it was piped out to the wingtips and not in the prop wash, I think it may be thicker, more like a tracking smoke, but still probably not as thick.

Andrew
What I was thinking was to set it up for a good puff on start up and a small trail that will pretty much dissipate after take off. I opened up the the exhaust holes on my FW-190 and it would look cool to pipe the smoke out of them.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:46 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Jackson,

I have a set of those for my 1.7m P51 and they are indeed a great looking and functioning. However they didn't fit my plane due to the wheel dia. Only thing you'll need to do is add a Robart collar that secures the wheel skirt wire to the strut , but I don't have that plane so I'm not sure how it not function when the wheel is retracted , but that was the case with my set.
V8,

Yep. I chose the 3 inch wheels because that is all these struts will accommodate. I believe someone figured out that 3.5 to 4 inches was scale. So, I am closer than the stock 2.5 inch wheels that come with the kit.

The beauty of electrics with sound is that you can come astonishing close to creating a mini replica of the real thing. I have a lot of fun starting up my Mustang at the flying field and taxing out to the runway. Also putting the Mustang through her paces with the Merlin sound roaring. My buddies at the club love it.

Cheers,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:58 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
814 Posts
Scale dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
What I was thinking was to set it up for a good puff on start up and a small trail that will pretty much dissipate after take off. I opened up the the exhaust holes on my FW-190 and it would look cool to pipe the smoke out of them.
Agreed. I am gearing the P-47 up to be a showcase for the Ultra and would love to add the smoke at some future juncture. Want to simulate real exhaust look, not create an aerobatic smoke trail so what Andrew is talking about is interesting. Below is a clip of a real P-47 start up. note the exhaust smoke at startup between 0:55 and 1:10. The exhaust is ported to the bottom rear. I think I would prefer a smoke location at the cowl flaps but have lots of time to think this through.

Republic P-47D Startup and takeoff at Dekalb-Peachtree Airport Neighbor Day 6/5/2010 (5 min 29 sec)

All these scale dreams and the ability to bring them to life are what makes the hobby come alive for me.

Regards,

Jackson
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:10 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
814 Posts
Mustang Whistle/Scream

Here's another challenge for Andrew:

Design a device to attach to scale 1400mm to 1800mm that recreates the famous whistle/scream associated with the Mustang. I am not sure what creates this sound but it is in wonderful evidence in the beautifully edited video below. I suppose it is a combination of the supercharger and exposed parts whistling in the air. I am thinking that somebody like Andrew is ingenious enough to figure out how to recreate this sound and sell it as a companion to the sound units. Now, that would be an outstanding thing to see and hear at your local flying field!

Any thoughts on this Andrew?

Cheers,

Jackson

P-51 Mustangs in the air - The P-51 Mustang Video - "Sketches of Freedom" (4 min 6 sec)
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,846 Posts
Well then, this may be the ticket. Here is a breif little snipit of the system I took today. It looks very much like the video that Jackson posted.

It was not producing the amount of smoke that it should have been I don't think. I did a lot of testing, and some at higher voltage and I may have burned out one or two of the heating elements, as it should have been almost twice as thick as seen in the video.

I could make it adjustable, would that help? Could go from a thin whispey engine smoke to a thicker, closer to aerobatic smoke. Probably will never reach the aerobatic smoke level though, but may get a reasonable amount.

smoke (0 min 11 sec)

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
Here's another challenge for Andrew:

Design a device to attach to scale 1400mm to 1800mm that recreates the famous whistle/scream associated with the Mustang. I am not sure what creates this sound but it is in wonderful evidence in the beautifully edited video below. I suppose it is a combination of the supercharger and exposed parts whistling in the air. I am thinking that somebody like Andrew is ingenious enough to figure out how to recreate this sound and sell it as a companion to the sound units. Now, that would be an outstanding thing to see and hear at your local flying field!

Any thoughts on this Andrew?

Cheers,

Jackson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xITLB...eature=related
Working on it in the back of my mind already. I can only have so many things in there at once or my ears start to bleed.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Closed Thread