Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:22 AM
RC Enthusiast
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Jul 2005
35 Posts
Question
PKZ BF-109G + DX6i + Flaps + Spoilerons?

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a ParkZone BF-109G. I am planning on putting flaps on it, since it comes ready for those anyway.

I'm going to be using my DX6i with it, with an AR600 Rx.

I have been trying to do my research on the flying characteristics of the plane with flaps, and from what I have gathered, flaps tend to make it finicky on final approach. Some have suggested using both flaps and spoilerons to slow it down, and allow it to come in nice and easy.

So my question is, has anyone used flaps and spoilerons both on their BF-109G? And if you have, would you be able to give me any tips on how to set it up on my DX6i?

Thanks!
Kross is offline Find More Posts by Kross
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:52 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
I've not got flaps or spoilerons on mine and I can tell you it's finicky enough without them.

Though I would wonder if 6 channels is enough for flaps and spoilerons. I know it has a Y lead for the ailerons for spoilerons you'll need 1 open channel for each aileron, not sure if it's the same with the flaps.

On approach mine can get a bit flaky when the speed drops. It likes to drop a wing.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:09 AM
RC Enthusiast
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Jul 2005
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
I've not got flaps or spoilerons on mine and I can tell you it's finicky enough without them.

Though I would wonder if 6 channels is enough for flaps and spoilerons. I know it has a Y lead for the ailerons for spoilerons you'll need 1 open channel for each aileron, not sure if it's the same with the flaps.

On approach mine can get a bit flaky when the speed drops. It likes to drop a wing.
Well, I'm thinking I would have to put the flaps on a Y and put them on the "Gear" channel in the Rx.

For spoilerons I would (I am assuming) have to split up the ailerons between the ALE channel and the AUX1 channel.

So in theory it seems possible. I just wanted to know if someone has actually done it, and what their thoughts were on the process and the results.
Kross is offline Find More Posts by Kross
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:27 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,845 Posts
Any airplane must have sufficient airspeed to overcome drag or it will become unstable and stall/crash. . Using flaps requires careful practice and observation with some altitude before you try it for landings. Generally you use partial flaps or no flaps for takeoffs, and more flap for landings but compensate for drag of flaps with some power to keep from stalling. Spoilerons and flaperons are generally not recommended for warbirds and other propeller driven aircraft but common on sailplanes. They tend to reduce effectiveness of ailerons at landing speeds. Use rudder to keep wings level when landing at lower airspeeds as ailerons lose authority.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged