SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:49 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2012
360 Posts
Discussion
When do you stop making planes?

It seems like, well i do spend more time building and drawing planes than actually flying. I will finish one, test fly it - if all is good start a new one. At the moment i have one finished not tested yet and ready to go on 3 new ones. I still have 3 non scratchbuilt planes to fly yet - one isnt built yet. Since i only get one maybe day a week to muck around with them if i am lucky i find it hard to actually get out and fly mainly due to weather and other commitments - so in between i design and if i like it - make it. I know i should just fly one or two planes at a time till i get bored or ready for a new one but i just cant stop making these darned planes.
Since i havent been doing this for that long i was wondering if you guys settle down a bit or is an addiction that will stay?
micka80ella is offline Find More Posts by micka80ella
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:01 AM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,111 Posts
If you are really into it, you quit building some time after you quit breathing.

J.P.
TheAeronut is offline Find More Posts by TheAeronut
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:15 AM
Damn this gets addictive.
United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2011
529 Posts
I'm similar. I think in all honesty that I get more of a kick out of building than flying. Once I have test flown and made any adjustments till I'm happy with the plane I quickly loose interest and want to start the next. This is partly due to my lack of skill on the sticks. If I was better I would probably enjoy the flying bit more.
As long you enjoy what you are doing I guess it doesn't really matter.
TCF
Thechittyfather is offline Find More Posts by Thechittyfather
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:59 AM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
1,077 Posts
Funny that.... I thought it was just me, but here we are with similar 'afflictions'
I have 3 models ready for maiden, yet I find myself starting another build !
It is something to do with the weather since if it's not suitable for flying I may as well sit in my hangar and think of something else to build. Often end's up with a scout around and try to use up some of the depron off-cuts, hence lately the wing-spans have been a bit smaller
RWData is offline Find More Posts by RWData
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:12 AM
Joined Mar 2012
94 Posts
I'm new (6 months) and do the same. I'm retired and thankfully have the time. Although I do try to fly several days each week. It's relaxing and fun.
Beemerider is offline Find More Posts by Beemerider
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:00 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,436 Posts
"When do you stop making planes?"

When the foam well runs dry.

I like building, but I love flying more. I will pound out a plane until it's done then go and fly it until I crash and must rebuild. When building I lament that I crashed and can't fly until I finish building.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:38 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,903 Posts
I like to experiment a lot. But I have a hard time building the same plane twice. I once took an old Zagi flying wing design and built one bigger with motors mounted on the ailerons and the motors speed controlled by the rudder. Sort of, poor mans vectored thrust. Worked decent. Also the VTO Pogo. Working on the VTO Canadian swing wing.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:50 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micka80ella View Post
...an addiction that will stay?
You're hooked. Accept your fate and deal with it as best you can.

In the near future, we may see some organization offer a 12-step program for guys like us.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:50 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Nov 2009
222 Posts
I'll quit building when they lay me in the ground...
str8wing is offline Find More Posts by str8wing
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,194 Posts
Here's my view on this subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micka80ella View Post
It seems like, well i do spend more time building and drawing planes than actually flying. I will finish one, test fly it - if all is good start a new one. At the moment i have one finished not tested yet and ready to go on 3 new ones. I still have 3 non scratchbuilt planes to fly yet - one isnt built yet. Since i only get one maybe day a week to muck around with them if i am lucky i find it hard to actually get out and fly mainly due to weather and other commitments - so in between i design and if i like it - make it. I know i should just fly one or two planes at a time till i get bored or ready for a new one but i just cant stop making these darned planes.
Since i havent been doing this for that long i was wondering if you guys settle down a bit or is an addiction that will stay?
Building airplanes is a way of expressing your own creativity and problem solving abilities. Many people don't have the imagination to develop their own self expression and are not able to create their own entertainment. They look outwards for stimulation. The people who use their own imagination are never bored. And the satisfaction they get from visualizing something in their minds and then bringing it into reality can't be topped. In addition, everything you do is a learning experience and you get to "own" the information, which becomes a part of you. That is one of the best things life has to offer. Build we must.
Dickeroo is offline Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:13 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2012
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickeroo View Post
Building airplanes is a way of expressing your own creativity and problem solving abilities. Many people don't have the imagination to develop their own self expression and are not able to create their own entertainment. They look outwards for stimulation. The people who use their own imagination are never bored. And the satisfaction they get from visualizing something in their minds and then bringing it into reality can't be topped. In addition, everything you do is a learning experience and you get to "own" the information, which becomes a part of you. That is one of the best things life has to offer. Build we must.
Wow, i never thought of it like that. It is true, i need that mental stimulation hence the never ending research. I was considering doing an online course before i pulled out a box of bits from years ago when my mate and i tried rc planes. I thought i could just whack a motor on to a bit of foam and fly again - boy was i wrong, so thanks to sites like this i learned what i was doing wrong and started again, this time properly. Thats when i made my first real scratchbuild which i loved flying - i sort of learned to fly on that thing. Since then its a personal challenge to create something even better.
micka80ella is offline Find More Posts by micka80ella
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:37 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickeroo View Post
...a way of expressing your own creativity and problem solving abilities...The people who use their own imagination are never bored...
Precisely. That's what it's all about.

Have you noticed how this "scratchbuilt" forum gets more play than almost any other forum on the RC Groups site? Your fine post explains why.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:50 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
"When do you stop making planes?"........

Never. Yes never. They say you get to do things in Heaven that you liked to do here on Earth........... I'll be making airplanes! Be happy, some guys can't build a birdhouse, so we are blessed.

I can fly well. I like an airplane that flys well. If a plane doesn't fly well, then I have an excuse to make something else. When the plane does fly well, I guickly shelf it so I can fly it again someday, and so that I have room on my bench so that I have no excuse not to make something else.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:56 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
Don't worry about it just build till you can't fit another in your house and buy or build another house just to store more planes in. There for a long time I was building up to 3 planes a week. When I moved it hurt so bad to trash most of them. I had a whole shed jammed packed with foamies some with gear some not but all had at least one day in the air to shine.

Just build fly and build some more.
Thatovalguy is offline Find More Posts by Thatovalguy
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:55 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,753 Posts
I never read a disclaimer or a label that said the hobby was flying rc planes. Seems that for you and me (and many many others) the hobby is building airplanes. The flying part is just proof of building and designing skills. So, stop building when you want a new hobby.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick