HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:00 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Ah, you posted while I was typing.

Are we more likely to run out of metals in the ground, or will we simply run out of the oxygen we burn to smelt them? There is a shocking amount of metal in the ground; I partially suspect that you aren't grasping the sheer scale of the matter.

If society ever reaches such a level, what makes you think that TREES of all things will be around in numbers capable of supporting the electric motor industry?

Humans need to eat. How many people will it take to produce such an extreme requirement of the most abundant materials the Earth has? Surely we'll run out of farmable land before we run out of aluminum.

There are a lot of doomsday scenarios presented, but I think a lack of relatively common metals is a fairly safe apocalypse to bet against
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
How many times can iron be reused? Can rust be melted into fresh iron? If iron rusts isn't it gone?

Hmmm. No. It is still here in an unusable form.

How many times can copper and aluminum be remelted and reused? What role does oxidation play in this?
DAN 1 is offline Find More Posts by DAN 1
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Errrm... Probably a lot. Changes of state, even chemical reactions, don't magically cause atoms to disappear or change into other atoms. The hydrologic cycle has been teaching us that for a few billion years now. That rust still contains iron and you can still get it out, just like you can still get the dissolved sodium out of a saline solution.

Isn't it great to live in a world so carefree that you can sit around and ponder the natural resource depletion that our great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandchildren will encounter?
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:38 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,022 Posts
I don't think of the non-renewable resources as "escaping", so much as being used up, as far as extraction goes. Human population continues to increase, which I think would place a larger and larger demand on Our Planet's resources. Eventually, since this is a finite world, the non-renewable resources might well become exhausted.

I know I look ridiculous being concerned about this possibility at this time. The "exhaustion" that might happen is probably another thousand years down the road. I will be long gone.

But it is my understanding that copper is already getting harder and harder to find...in quantities that would be commercially viable. Isn't it true that copper wire is now being replaced by aluminum wire?
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Yeah, cause we used up the copper. A wise man (I think) told me that matter cannot be destroyed, so we should be ok for while there since nothing can be "exhausted". Except maybe the trees. I thought we were trying to save them?

If you start with a wooden superconductor that works at room temperature, the rest should be easy.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Last edited by Ron H; Sep 06, 2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Trouble with quotes
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:02 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Oh I forgot to mention the Aerospace industry (whats left of it) has developed a plastic/polymer wire that is stronger, lighter and more conductive than copper. But if you really want to worry according to the same folks who claim everything is finite and must be controlled (by them of course) say the real problem is we are running out of dirt. It's like the myth that the Earth produced oil one time never to happen again. Turns out it's just not true, oil is just a byproduct of the planet doing it's thing, an on going process ( think of it as planet poop) that will stop when the sun goes super nova and the planet is consumed by fire, unless a giant asteroid hit's it first.
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Last edited by zeroback; Sep 06, 2012 at 04:10 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:16 AM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
The real problem is human relationships. Those are far more likely to promote extinction of this self destructive species than a particular lack of materials.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:53 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
For the record, thecrust ofthe Earth is some massive percentage by weight (20%???) aluminum. Following that is iron.

If we get tothe point of using those up we literally wont have a fot to stand on - our feet will be encased in magma!

Lets say tomorrow we were unable tocontinue extraction of metals. We would have torecycle, which is surprisingly efficient. Germany recycles in excess of 85% of itsconsumables.

We would also have to resort to a much simpler life for themost part - possibly no remote control planes... or at least ones withmore stable and longer lasting batteries.

I would suggest you check out German recycling, ateroid harvesting and recombinant manufacturing technology - materials and elements to be specific.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:10 AM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
forget I said anything.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Last edited by vtdiy; Sep 06, 2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: none
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
The future so bright I gotta wear shades. Wow the doom and gloom. I think to many people buy into the environmentalist propaganda. Study history and you'll find these experts never stop with there doomsday scenario's and they are never right. According to the experts of the 70'S we have already starved to death and civilization is in ruins because the planet could never ever grow enough food for 6,973,738,433 people. The only people starving on this planet live in countries run be despot dictators. This is only one example, notice only Hollywood brings up the Ozone hole nowadays. The media seems to have forgotten to update people that the scientist were wrong. After trillions of dollars spent retrofitting AC systems and aerosol products they figured out they don't know why ozone anomaly expands and contracts and wobbles all over the place. The list goes on with exaggerations and out right lies.They can't even tell you why or how clouds form. IF you think this is looney take a look at what is going on with these power brokers. http://www.un.org/esa/dsd/agenda21/
Then there's the story about the boy who cried wolf, but I'll save that for another time
Last edited by zeroback; Sep 06, 2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:36 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,068 Posts
Acknowledging that this is one of the least popular/attended forums in RC groups.
But wasting energy on this level of inane? Time to get a Hobby beyond 'posting' ?
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:34 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Well said to both the posters above.

Also, Bare, I happen to enjoy posting while doing my online banking (tedious) and constructing the next model (tedious but enjoyable). I find its a nice balance

- boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:38 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
When I'm working with foam-tac and gorilla glue, I post quite a bit. With CA, not so much
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
"I burned up my motor" takes on a whole new meaning.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:03 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Acknowledging that this is one of the least popular/attended forums in RC groups.
But wasting energy on this level of inane? Time to get a Hobby beyond 'posting' ?
You being the self appointed executor of whats worthy of posting might consider your own advice.
Last edited by zeroback; Sep 07, 2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:31 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
"I burned up my motor" takes on a whole new meaning.
But it would also smell so much better if the motor was made of wood
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2