HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:49 PM
Reno, NV
Joined May 2007
125 Posts
Discussion
Finally convinced to get rid of puffed lipos.

Realized it wasn't worth the risk in charging or flying with them, so hooked them up to a 50 ohm 10 watt resistor and let each one discharge overnight till the resistor was cold again. At least I was sure they weren't discharging at too high a rate.

Warning, the resistor gets hot during discharge, I used an infrared thermometer to check the temp.

While these batteries were not that overly used, they were a couple years old. I think my main problem was charging them too fast. When I first got my charger, what I read had said to charge at 2C, but everything I see now says 1C. So, I'll be changing my charging procedure.

My charger has a temp probe I can use, so I will be using that from now on, and I do use a metal can to contain the batteries during charging. I always charge them attended with a fire extinguisher close by.

Just went and ordered new batteries. Should be worth a little peace of mind.

Name: FWW-4445.jpg
Views: 90
Size: 182.5 KB
Description:
KingBubbaTruck is offline Find More Posts by KingBubbaTruck
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:57 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,025 Posts
2C vs. 1C charge rate will have zero difference on usable life. Storing in fully charged state, storing in a warm environment, and overdischarging by relying on low voltage cutoff are far more damaging to lipolys.

Store in a cool area in a discharged or partially charged state and only charge prior to use and your lipolys will reward you with a long life.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:50 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,721 Posts
Glad to see you got rid of all of your damaged LiPo batteries. While I understand it's a free country, I don't understand why people insist on using damaged LiPos when batteries are so cheap. The risk just isn't worth it. I may be a bit overcautious but any LiPo that's damaged even the slightest gets discharged and disposed.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member