HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:30 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Discussion
Anyone in the West Palm Beach/Delray Beach FL area?

I posted this in the electric planes section, but figured here may be better...

Just wondering if there is any non-AMA fields or parks that anyone flies at. Thing is I found an instructor about 6 weeks ago at the AMA field in delray, got my plane and everything needed to fly, joined the AMA, then it turns out our schedules just don't match. I work long hours, have a wife and kids so getting to the field when he is available to buddy box me just hasn't been working out. Now I have had my plane staring me in the face for weeks now and I'm just dying to fly it! I've went to dyer park in west palm a few times on my lunch break and hardly anyone is there, but being up on a hill the wind seems to always be a little heavy during those times of day so I've chickened out to maiden it alone.

A couple other times I have found time on weekends to go to the field in Delray since it is close to me, I have been politely told that beginners shouldn't be trying to learn there on their busy days and be in the way of experienced pilots, which I respect, so now I guess I'm leaning toward just finding an open area and learning by myself when no one is around. I spotted a place practically across the street from where I live called Seacrest Soccer Complex, and it seems that it's empty early in the morning but I don't wanna just go if flying is not allowed there. Anyone know of that place? Seems to be about 4 soccer fields and a football field, I think it's enough room.

Anyone in the area have any suggestions? My plane is a PZ T-28 which was recommended by numerous people including the instructor that was gonna teach me, I've got plenty of tape, glue and an extra prop ready to go, just in case. I also have about a months worth of sim time combined from when I've used it over the last year. Thanks for any info!!
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:02 AM
nooB
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Sep 2012
19 Posts
Hey, I live in the palm beach gardens area!

just find a big open space, go on a windless day, and just fly it!

I'm a bit of a noob myself, but I just wing it, best way for me to lean is just to do it. I'm already pretty familiar with how planes fly, my biggest thing is learning not to over compensate when I'm flying and be smoother....

I have a few planes that I'm progressing into, I just bought a Dynam Turbo Jet and I'm hoping to get this built up and have the confidence to fly it in the next 6 months!

I bought a Nine Eagles 4ch micro p47 that I am learning with(well I pretty much destroyed the plane doing a loop into my roof lol) but that plane is real touchy and fast paced. I hear its not a very good beginner's plane. So maybe that will make my next transistion easier. My next plane I'm going to fly is a SuperCub I've been building up. I switched it to 2.4ghz, made some ailerons, and put in a brushless motor, I need to track down some batteries and she is about ready to fly. This is supposed to be a smoother flying, slower plane, so we will see how it goes. It will be my first time really using a "larger" plane with about a 48" wingspan

After that I have a Mini Sportster that is about 36" wingspan and balsa, I will keep this for aerobatics and put a bigger brushless motor in it. Then I'm off to the turbojet!

Also at that Dyer park on the north side is a section of a lot of soccer fields that is down low, i've flown on those before, don't know how good that is to do with a RC park around there.....
ToddB is offline Find More Posts by ToddB
Last edited by ToddB; Sep 13, 2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:52 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,424 Posts
Also a noob here... The PZ T28D was my third plane and now I'm on my 20th plane after 3 months of flying. I admit I have an addiction... lol

I fly in abandoned developments in PSL. Away from people and cars. No other pilots to bother me. I fly at Sundancers (AMA) field occasionally, but it's a bigger trek than the nearest abandoned area. Dyer Park is always empty when I visit. No idea why!

I suggest getting a UMX to beat around with in a small park. Or the Hobby Champ. I love my Mig-15 UMX and my friend's Sbach is awesome too. Micros can take serious abuse and are cheap to fix.

The T28D was way too fast and quick for my 3rd plane (after Ember 2 and UM P51). I snap rolled it instantly (aileron roll + rudder left + up elevator = stall) Trim and low dual rates and expo are critical. If you don't know what those things are you shouldn't be flying the T28. Thankfully, the T28 can take serious abuse. The prop and motor are rock solid. The cowl tends to break (but that's what duct tape is for!!) and the props will too in hard crashes. All my FMS planes have the brittlest props ever.

If you are still keen on flying the T28, get someone else to trim it out for you. Once that is done, it is a fairly easy plane to fly with a gentle touch.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Last edited by voxel; Sep 17, 2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Well I had a chance to take it back to Dyer park one day at lunch, wind was perfect to none, hardly anyone there. I got everything out of my car, ready to go and couldn't find the screw to hold the wing on the bottom of the airframe. What a bummer, so no maiden that day either. The last couple weeks I've been so busy I haven't had time to do anything, but everywhere I drive I'm always looking for open or abandoned fields. I'm determined now to get this plane in the air!!

Voxel I had a job offer so it looks like I might be moving up to port st. lucie within a couple months, so hopefully I can find some open fields up there, if it happens we should go flying!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellj View Post

Voxel I had a job offer so it looks like I might be moving up to port st. lucie within a couple months, so hopefully I can find some open fields up there, if it happens we should go flying!
Well, I have to leave because I lost my job! Orlando might be calling my name.

Avoid developments with no trespassing signs as you will be in HOA nazi hell. Near Allapattah Flat K8 is a great public area for small-to-mid sized electric planes. Sundancers RC club are full of helpful members and only 15 miles away from PSL.

I was at Dyer today and the flyers were a bit pushy. There were two T28s flying this afternoon...
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
How ironic, I was just at a job interview Monday in Orlando but accepted the offer in PSL instead, well actually in ft. Pierce but the wife wants to live in PSL. Sorry to hear about your job, same happened to me down here and I've been having to work a not so great job until something better came along, so I know how that goes.

Yea I've had the same thing happen to me at dyer park also, as a matter of fact the day I lost the screw the one and only person there told me it was probably a good thing I lost it because I didn't bring a trash bag with me. He was 200% convinced I would have crashed it. He was also flying a t28 that day. That's another reason I haven't been back there to even try. It's good to know they are more helpful at sundancers. I will probably go there if I don't luck out and find a big open spot.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,424 Posts
Crazy. Was the guy flying a white version of the T28?

Sundancers is great. They tend to fly high-end big planes (lots of giant 3DHS and Carden planes). Neverthless, they are pretty friendly and helpful.

Warning - there's no runway at Sundancers. For small electrics (under 50"), the abandoned area next to Allapattah school is perfect. I fly my Habu there
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Yea he was an older gentleman flying a white t-28