HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:23 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Discussion
Fly Sky FS-T6 Radio - I got it! Here's the review.

OK, I just today received the new Fly Sky FS-T6 6-Channel Transmitter & Receiver with 20-Model memories & backlighted display. I just got it so haven't loaded any planes into it yet but I thought I would snap a few photos & give you guys a chance to see it next to my Turnigy 9X radio which I have also modded with the green backlight display.
So far I am pretty impressed with the FS-T6, the backlight is good & bright & the LCD display is large & easy to read. The radio feels real nice & the neck strap hook on the front is lower on the body than the 9X which makes it balance better hanging from the strap than the 9X. I like the silver coloration much more than the all black of the 9X, it kind of reminds me of my Futaba 6EXA in look. The FS-T6 is only 6-channels so less switches but I only use 4 channels so 6 is plenty for me, the 9X has too many switches & dials. The back of the radio shows the battery door which houses (8) AA batteries but they are in a "Flat" configuration instead of the "brick" style battery box of the Turnigy 9X. The only drawback to the battery setup is that I don't know how you would install a Lipo transmitter pack as this setup is pretty much for AA only unless you Mod it, the 9X had a plug so you could chop that off & attach it to a Lipo transmitter pack.
All in all though I give this radio a thumbs up SO FAR that is. I will give you guys some follow up reviews once I can get some models loaded into the radio & get some stuff in the air.

P.S. - The included receiver looks identical to the Hobby King receivers that I use with my Turnigy 9X but smaller than the included Turnigy 9X receiver.
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:03 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Wow! I really like this thumbwheel to scroll thru the menus. This Radio is much faster to program than the Turnigy 9X. The roller is a much better idea than those clicky clack beepity beep directional buttons.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:03 AM
Poland, Śląskie, Bielsko-Biala
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
Is it avaiable anywhere outside US for this moment ?

45$ for the radio is good, 55$ shipment not so much
shafter is offline Find More Posts by shafter
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:00 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
That is a good question. HobbyPartz.com has the radio for $49 but with a $50 purchase they give Free Shipping so I threw on a $1 pack of battery pack wiring to the order. However, I did see one seller on Ebay that is selling these, you might find a better deal there shipping international than what HobbyPartz will do to you there.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,180 Posts
Great info.

Does it have a three position switch?

Edit///
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrebman View Post
No it does not have a 3-position switch (My Turnigy 9X does) but all switches are 2-position on the FS-T6.
Good to know, thanks. Will probably still get it. Looks like a good radio.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 06, 2012 at 02:52 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:48 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
Great info.

Does it have a three position switch?
No it does not have a 3-position switch (My Turnigy 9X does) but all switches are 2-position on the FS-T6.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:28 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
OK, I just tried to bind one of my Hobby King HKTR6A V2 receivers to the new Fly Sky FS-T6 radio & the bind worked perfectly so I can use my existing Turnigy 9X receivers with the new FS-T6.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:42 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Wow, the more I use this radio the more I am impressed with it. Just scrolling thru 20 model memories is pretty awesome buy using the thumb wheel will make this radio 2 or 3 times faster to program than my Turnigy 9X. The on/off switch is in exactly the same place as my Futaba 6EXA & the strap hook is in the same place as my Futaba, very close to the balance point of the radio. The radio looks very much like my venerable 72MHZ Futaba 6EXA that it might fool some guys until they see the stubby antenna on this one instead of the long telescope antenna on my 6EXA. One thing I don't like is I really liked the ratcheting thottle on the Futaba, I could judge my throttle by the clicks but the Turnigy & Fly Sky just have a smooth throttle with no click but I guess I will get use to it & will have to attach my talking timer as there is NO timer function on this radio.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:44 AM
United States, GA, Ochlocknee
Joined Jul 2006
70 Posts
It has no timer function, which is a function that I overlooked when I ordered it. I will probably never use it.
Henry
Henry Sistrunk is offline Find More Posts by Henry Sistrunk
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:16 AM
Poland, Śląskie, Bielsko-Biala
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
Quote:
One thing I don't like is I really liked the ratcheting thottle on the Futaba, I could judge my throttle by the clicks but the Turnigy & Fly Sky just have a smooth throttle with no click but I guess I will get use to it & will have to attach my talking timer as there is NO timer function on this radio.
My retired 2.4G E-sky radio also had ratcheting throttle, and i really miss this feature on other TX's i now use ...
shafter is offline Find More Posts by shafter
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:56 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
OK, I setup a Mini Funtana with the new Fly Sky FS-T6 & just used the Turnigy 9X stock receiver that I had in the aircraft already. The bind went fine but I had some trouble getting the ESC to to fully activate, the throttle would not work properly & just beeped incessantly which indicates an overly advanced throttle trim but pushing the trim all the way down to zero did nothing to stop the beeping. So in desperation I reversed the throttle in the radio & that did it, then I just reversed it back & now the throttle seems to be working properly, it was like something was just stuck. Anyway I am hoping to get the Funtana up Sunday morning & I will see how this FS-T6 does in the air. I can tell you that I like the digital trims on the FS-T6 better than the Turnigy 9X.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:38 PM
United States, IL, La Grange Park
Joined May 2012
194 Posts
Is there a super light weight receiver for micro's?
ad skyraider is offline Find More Posts by ad skyraider
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:49 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
The receiver that comes with the Fly Sky FS-T6 is the smallest I have seen. However, Hobbyking has a 3-channel receiver that will work this radio that might be smaller.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:31 AM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
905 Posts
This is the smallest brick option from the WLToys v911 heli.

Shame they still use excessive batteries in the transmitter when more modern designs are going to the required 3-5volts!
Rusty Nail is online now Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:19 AM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Quote:
OK, I setup a Mini Funtana with the new Fly Sky FS-T6 & just used the Turnigy 9X stock receiver that I had in the aircraft already. The bind went fine but I had some trouble getting the ESC to to fully activate, the throttle would not work properly & just beeped incessantly which indicates an overly advanced throttle trim but pushing the trim all the way down to zero did nothing to stop the beeping. So in desperation I reversed the throttle in the radio & that did it, then I just reversed it back & now the throttle seems to be working properly, it was like something was just stuck. Anyway I am hoping to get the Funtana up Sunday morning & I will see how this FS-T6 does in the air. I can tell you that I like the digital trims on the FS-T6 better than the Turnigy 9X.
What's different about the trims that you like better? Thanks for pioneering this TX for us.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio