SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:28 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,401 Posts
*heh* I'm actually kinda worried I'll get things too hot running at low throttle!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
Hi, guys.

I received my Turnigy SK3 2836-1040kv and got a chance to bench test it. Wow! Compared to the KD A22-20L it delivers about 75 more watts and 500 more rpm while only drawing an extra .5amps. I think it would probably rip the wings and/or tail off the ASW 28 but I think it's a winner.

I'm not sure how it would work out compared to my 2834-1250kv for a 3D ship, StarHopper. The rpm is a bit lower but it should be able to swing a bigger prop without burning up so, on paper, it's pretty much a push. Now, since the planes I wanted to order tomorrow are all out of stock, I have to find an "extra" airframe that will suit my "extra" motor.

Here's the link again. I'm not ready to give it an unqualified recommendation but it seems like an excellent addition to the stable.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Cheers!

BTW. I have to give credit to HK and the USPS. Ordered Wednesday night and it arrived yesterday afternoon.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Last edited by peterlngh; Dec 02, 2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:21 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,401 Posts
Hey Pete - you had a chance to test that new motor on your '28 yet?

And while we're here, for those who like RT glider-flying as much as I do, too, my bud Francois just sent me a new video with some great shots! Enjoy, and Happy New Year to all!
The french way, Gliding video (Gopro) (5 min 18 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:44 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
I haven't had a chance to fly it, SH, and have decided to just keep the ASW as is. I haven't exactly decided what I'm going to do with the SK3. It would work very well in any 2 meter class sailplane but now I'm thinking that I will put the SK3 in my Yak and move the 2834, 1250kv, to whichever new 3D ship I decide on. I don't know how long it will last at near the top of it's capacity but it doesn't seem to get too hot.

Or, if I decide to go to a bigger 3D ship, I'll just keep the new motor as a spare until I decide on a new sailplane. I have a sneaking suspicion that any of the three 28mm motors I have would be sufficient for a sailplane up to 2.5 meter and 1500grams. Then I could go with bigger batteries. Or... The possibilities are endless and I've never been good at sticking to a plan!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:49 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,401 Posts
Too long w/o any thread action, so let's go here.
Another low-pass video --- not as exciting as the other 'Right Here, Right Now Lion Country' one, but still fun to watch. I wasn't even gonna post it except, it's got about the absolute coolest ending I can recall seeing! LOVE IT! Check it out at:
Smokin low pass (4 min 27 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2013, 01:45 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
I finally stuck the 2834 motor in the ASW28. Wow! It will take a little more work to look right but the climb with a 10X6 is almost frightening.
Old Jun 02, 2013, 08:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
New motor.

Well? I did a little shimming and grinding and installed a bigger spinner and the bird doesn't look bad from 15 feet despite the rather big gap. The performance with the 2834 and a 10X6 prop is outstanding. I am seriously considering getting another and building in all the mods to date plus flaps and a better finish. She's starting to look a little like Frankenstein's monster but is still really, really fun to fly. It would also be cheaper than getting a larger glass/wood scale glider with the risk of shipping damage from China. There's also a chance that the heavier glider won't soar as well. Hmmm. I guess the spinner gap doesn't look too bad.
Old Jun 02, 2013, 08:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
BTW. I ended up passing the SK3 motor on to a friend and got another HK2834 1250kv. I really love these motors.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:11 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
Last mod?

Hi, guys.

I screwed up a landing on Saturday and wiped out the motor mount. S0? I finally got around to installing a "proper" mount on the nose. I was originally just going to use the cardboard tube as a datum for sanding the nose to the proper angle but then I decided to add a little extra strength. I cut a toilet tissue roll to the proper size, tacked it with CA, then I stiffened it up with epoxy and Sky-Loft. After epoxying the front of the tube in place I just filled the gaps with Gorilla Glue. The motor mount itself is made with two layers of 1/16" ply epoxied together and also coated with Sky-Loft and epoxy to prevent chipping when I drilled the holes. It's much, much, stiffer than the original. I also played around with about 3mm of camber on the ailerons and, much to my surprise, it actually helped with the tip stalling at least in strong wind; I'll give it a try when it's calm to confirm my results.

Cheers!
Old Jun 11, 2013, 03:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
A success all around! I nailed the thrust line, @ 2 degrees both right and down, and the ASW handles power better than ever before. I sneaked a couple flights in as a storm front approaches and had dead still air with just a couple little bubbles of lift. Well? Your results may vary but with the camber added I had to really force it to drop a wing.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:33 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,232 Posts
Hi Guys, had as w28 for a couple of years now stock apart from the esc and servos, took it out the other day after not flying it for ages and felt like it was just getting blown around the sky with not a lot of control, after flying dlg for a while now I have got used to more control in my gliders and so I will do the aileron mod to this one and then maybe the dihedral if I can find a suitable rod. I really want to keep it as light as pos though as it's thermals so well being so light.
I am using 2 cell lifpo4 1100mah packs and so power is sooooo weak but the packs and motor will never break lol, but I think I might want to go to 3 cell lipos to get the thing up as I have some 1000mah 3 cells sitting doing nothing much.
My esc will handle it but I dont know about the stock motor, maybe if I limit the throttle somewhat if might be OK so I dont have to mess up the front end.

I will have a root through my bits and pieces to see if I have any trailing edge stock.

Peter have you added flaps?
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Jun 13, 2013, 01:48 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
...if I can find a suitable rod. I really want to keep it as light as pos though ...
There's another(?) bird somewhere 'round that I've been involved with.....heck might've even been this one, where an altered dihedral really improved its handling. The 'catch' was, using an aluminum tent peg -- which I couldn't find locally, only steel (very heavy) and non-useable plastic varieties. Then one day I happened to be in Wal-Mart where they were remodeling & had located the art supplies next to the sewing aisle....and voila! -- a whole wall of various-diameter & length knitting needles!!
Haven't explored the possibilities as yet.....but intend on taking a caliper in with me sometime & doing a few trial measurements.......hint hint.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:24 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
I think the ailerons are more important than the dihedral. I kinda wish I had tried a little camber to see if it improved handling. I originally just glassed the foam ailerons and replaced the internal linkage and that worked well but then I tore a hinge on a door frame and figured that going with wood would work better. I was right! The bigger, stiffer, ailerons really helped both as ailerons and spoilers plus simply using a tape hinge really stiffened the outside portion of the wing. I really can't believe I flew it with the stock aileron setup. I even hit a tree and a light post because the stock ones were so bad.

I ended up using a short chunk of 3/16" steel, 6-8 inches as I recall, for my joiner. It doesn't have to be very long as long as the glue joint is good and probably not much heavier than a longer aluminum rod. I wish I had taken pictures of the process but I don't like to touch my camera, or much of anything else, when I'm working with big gobs of epoxy. I wrapped the ends and center of the steel with Sky-Loft, any kind of fabric or glass cloth would work, so I avoided the extra stress of the metal resting against the CF tube. Then I made sure to fill the gap with epoxy and talcum powder. I just didn't have any micro balloons on hand. Any kind of filler, including sawdust, would work. I'll try to draw up a diagram when i have a few more minutes.

I found the stock power train to be adequate but just had to try three cells out of curiosity. The stock motor crapped out on the second flight with the stock prop but you might be able to get away with it if you drop down in prop size. I just don't know.

The motor from my crashed Extra worked pretty well but I kept looking at my "extra" HK 2834 and just couldn't resist. Now it's a rocket and I like it but it's definitely overkill and needs about an ounce of lead in the tail. Fortunately, the ASW seems to shrug off a little extra weight.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:34 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
I did a little quick calculating with my leftover piece of steel rod. I used 7 inches and that weighs 23 grams. My complete wing joiner now weighs 54 grams.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 09:24 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
I decided against adding flaps after I got my flaperons working better.