HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,838 Posts
I did some experimenting of my own and "glassed" the nose. I figure I'll see how it deals with wear and decide whether I want to do the rest of the fuse. I had some prop dings so i started by using an iron and wet napkin to raise the dents. Then I sanded it as smooth as possible with good sharp 320 sand paper on a hardwood block. I didn't see any need for spackle.

I used Skyloft and thin CA. I have found that smaller areas really don't need the Super 77. I just started from the middle and worked it flat with a piece of wire as I tugged it around the curves. Once i had it all tacked down is where I got creative. I saturated the Skyloft and spread the CA around to make sure it was all damp on the surface and then dusted it with talcum powder which I just smoothed with a finger. It's much easier to sand than the straight CA. Then? Two light coats of white primer and it does indeed look like glass. Now I'll just have to see how it holds up to a little abuse from the folding prop.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:30 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
I did some experimenting of my own and "glassed" the nose. I figure I'll see how it deals with wear and decide whether I want to do the rest of the fuse. I had some prop dings so i started by using an iron and wet napkin to raise the dents. Then I sanded it as smooth as possible with good sharp 320 sand paper on a hardwood block. I didn't see any need for spackle.

I used Skyloft and thin CA. I have found that smaller areas really don't need the Super 77. I just started from the middle and worked it flat with a piece of wire as I tugged it around the curves. Once i had it all tacked down is where I got creative. I saturated the Skyloft and spread the CA around to make sure it was all damp on the surface and then dusted it with talcum powder which I just smoothed with a finger. It's much easier to sand than the straight CA. Then? Two light coats of white primer and it does indeed look like glass. Now I'll just have to see how it holds up to a little abuse from the folding prop.
Peter that sounds great! If you have a chance I'm sure we would all love to see photos, TIA. Cheers, Thompson
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:08 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,736 Posts
Yeah -- I'm having a time envisioning that 'worked it flat with a piece of wire' bit.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,838 Posts
Dang! i just loaned out my camera for the weekend but there really isn't much to see. White paint on white foam. I just did a couple inches in back of the spinner and mainly I was just trying to test out my idea about using talcum to fill the Skyloft and make the CA easier to sand.

SH. I used a piece of 2-56 pushrod wire as a squeegee and to push down a bit on spots where the fabric was trying to lift. If I were doing a larger area I would probably cut a curved squeegee out of plastic like a coffee can lid.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:07 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,736 Posts
I'm having a much easier time envisioning that 'worked it flat with a piece of wire used as a squeegee' bit. Thanx Pete.

Your input does raise a question in my mind however. Me, the one always dreaming up & exploring alternative ways? Presuming you guys know of the product called 'Micro-Balloons', microscopic glass beads used for mixing with epoxy to make it both lighter and easier to sand. From Thompson's description his glassing process doesn't add much weight, but every gram saved helps, y'know. Can't help wondering how the additive would work with CA.

Pondering on it a bit....the economic tradeoff (beads vs talcum) prolly makes it kind've prohibitive.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,838 Posts
I've used micro-balloons with CA to fill gaps but there would be a couple issues using them to fill fabric. First of all; they are a little coarser than talcum and might not work into the weave of the fabric. The bigger problem is that they act almost like CA "kicker" and that would probably result in a rough surface. Talcum powder doesn't seem to either speed or inhibit the setting of the CA so one has some time to smooth it out and work it into the fabric.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 05:55 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,736 Posts
Don't know if anyone's caught what Banana Boy Pete & crew has done, but they have a 'Free Shipping' deal going on. But when you find the 'devil in the fine print', it's for orders over $149. Nothing unusual about that as, it's an unfortunate 'fool you' trend that's caught on & several of the 'big stores' are doing it. What IS bad, tho, is the sneaky crap Banana's pulled with pricing.

With yesterday's "Free Shipping" deal, prices on perhaps every plane suddenly took a quantum leap (as several others who 'track' them have noted in a 'warning' thread). As a direct comparison I can make from my records:

The FMS ASW-28 ARF I received week before last was bought at $99.90, & of course I paid shipping. That made the total acquisition cost $134.12.

The very same ASW28 in ARF form I bought for $99.90 is today priced $145.90, & note that doesn't make the free-ship minimum. Adding to the stink is, the crossed-out 'normal' price they advertise to make the so-called "sale" price look sweet, has also been fudged. That phony price has also jumped to $163.90.

However you look at it, I think you'll agree that a basic 46% jump in selling price is pretty damn steep.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:24 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
Peter that sounds great! If you have a chance I'm sure we would all love to see photos, TIA. Cheers, Thompson
Speaking of which (*headsmack*), Thompson, I meant to ask you:
What camera do you shoot your videos with? (If you don't mind sharing the info)
Thx!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:16 AM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Speaking of which (*headsmack*), Thompson, I meant to ask you:
What camera do you shoot your videos with? (If you don't mind sharing the info)
Thx!
For my latest video of the ST Models ASW-28 I used a combination of two cameras.

- Still photos; Olympus E-500 and either kit 40-150mm lens or vintage Olympus Zuiko 50mm f1.4 or 135mm f2.8 lens, can't remember what I used.

- Movie; #11 808 Keychain 1080 HD camera with 4GB card and firmware updated so date stamp removed. This was mounted on the left wing with velcro, near the winglet out at the end. http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C11/

I like this HD video camera because it is light, aerodynamic and doesn't give you a weird mind-bending distorted GoPro feel. The video and lens quality is less than GoPro, but the other advantages of the little #11 808 outweight (excuse the pun!) the GoPro in my opinion by far.
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:05 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,736 Posts
Now that's odd -- I asked because I thought you used a GoPro....seemed I'd seen some slow-mo & speed bursts here & there in your stuff. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else -- it would be just like me to mis-remember. Anyway I's asking becuz I'm considering one of the GP3 'Black' units when they're released next month. I'm trying to find what they'll weigh - with no luck so far. Well, thanx anyway bud.

I'm almost ashamed to admit I still haven't built my 28! Been pre-occupied with a new Corvalis, new Calypso (been flyin' the fool outta that one), and getting a TechOne Sprint properly accoutred for proper building. I'm gettin' in my last 'standable weather' licks while I still can....trying to build up some good memories to tide me thru the cabin fever days to come, I guess. *LOL* At this rate by the time Spring comes, I just might have had to start storing planes out in the yard!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,838 Posts
I actually got the Tech-One Yak54 out today. 37 degrees, about 5 mph of wind. Not too bad for these parts. In fact, I think it was the first time I've gone flying during the week after Thanksgiving. Generally the routes to the field are snowed in and the ice on the lakes isn't safe yet. I think that they plow the walking paths at the park so I'll be flying as long as I can get to a field.

BTW, StarHopper, HK has a new 28mm motor in at the U.S. warehouse. It's a Turnigy SK3 2836 1040kv. Actually, they have 2. The 1040kv and a 1500kv. I'm seriously thinking of getting one of each. I'm currently using a Turnigy 2834 1250kv in the Yak and it flies great on an 11X3.8 slo-fly prop but it gets pretty warm and I worry about its longevity. I think the 1040kv would be just the ticket. The 1500kv would probably, hopefully, be able to handle a 10 inch folder on a glider or I could stick it in my ASW28 and go back to using the 2cell batteries with a bigger prop or drop down to a 9X5 on 3 cells. Here's the link to the 1040kv if anyone wants to check out the specs. It's virtually identical to the current draw for my 2834 and I'm hoping that it will handle the big props a little more comfortably.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Cheers!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Jun 2012
8 Posts
Just got ST Model ASW28 from Tower Hobbies for $97.98 and free S&H.
olegbabich is offline Find More Posts by olegbabich
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:47 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,838 Posts
Good for you, olegbabich. Let us know if we haven't covered anything that might make it the best possible experience.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:42 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
I actually got the Tech-One Yak54 out today. 37 degrees, about 5 mph of wind. Not too bad for these parts. In fact, I think it was the first time I've gone flying during the week after Thanksgiving. Generally the routes to the field are snowed in and the ice on the lakes isn't safe yet. I think that they plow the walking paths at the park so I'll be flying as long as I can get to a field.

BTW, StarHopper, HK has a new 28mm motor in at the U.S. warehouse. It's a Turnigy SK3 2836 1040kv. Actually, they have 2. The 1040kv and a 1500kv. I'm seriously thinking of getting one of each. I'm currently using a Turnigy 2834 1250kv in the Yak and it flies great on an 11X3.8 slo-fly prop but it gets pretty warm and I worry about its longevity. I think the 1040kv would be just the ticket. The 1500kv would probably, hopefully, be able to handle a 10 inch folder on a glider or I could stick it in my ASW28 and go back to using the 2cell batteries with a bigger prop or drop down to a 9X5 on 3 cells. Here's the link to the 1040kv if anyone wants to check out the specs. It's virtually identical to the current draw for my 2834 and I'm hoping that it will handle the big props a little more comfortably.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Cheers!
I got one of these - "Dualsky XM3542CA-6/940Kv" - puttin' out 450W -- oughta hover that hunk of foam pretty well, ya think?
Will take a look at the two you noted also; I'm shopping/researching for some motors to use in the scratchies I'll be building.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,838 Posts
It will be a danged rocket, SH.