HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:01 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Report from SMS in the UK.

They list the part number #Z-STM02D is currently out of stock, price less UK tax is 4.91 pounds. Currently no advised delivery date on this part.
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,401 Posts
Well? The 350 watt 2834 is simply too much motor. Even with a gradual application of power the pitch up exceeds the stability and control authority provided by the stab and elevator. It's the first time I've ever completed an inside loop while holding full down elevator!

So? I'm in the market for a budget motor of around 150 watts that won't burn up swinging a 10X6 with a 11.1 volt battery. Since my little Extra didn't survive the weekend I ordered a new 3D plane for the 2834.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:12 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Well? The 350 watt 2834 is simply too much motor. Even with a gradual application of power the pitch up exceeds the stability and control authority provided by the stab and elevator. It's the first time I've ever completed an inside loop while holding full down elevator!

So? I'm in the market for a budget motor of around 150 watts that won't burn up swinging a 10X6 with a 11.1 volt battery. Since my little Extra didn't survive the weekend I ordered a new 3D plane for the 2834.
This might work, almost same as stock. Possibly drop down to a 9.5x5 prop. The only difference I can see is the shaft might be too short.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_1200kv.html

Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,401 Posts
The DST 1200 would probably be a perfect fit but I prefer can type motors so I have more mounting options. The Dynam I'm using is adequate to get me into winter. I'm planning on reworking the nose to fit whatever motor I end up with so shaft length isn't an issue.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,401 Posts
Hi, guys.

I've never been quite happy with the way the horizontal stab fits the top of the fin. So? A little Skyloft, epoxy, and talcum powder solved the problem. It's much, much, stiffer.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:28 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
That's an interesting fix.

I choose to prevent T-tail wobble by glassing the whole fuselage with a fine cotton bed sheet cloth and medium CA and paint. Seems to have stopped any and all flex, might have to do this too.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,401 Posts
Well? There are several sources of sloppiness. The general flex of the tail boom was pretty much damped by the paint. It flexes but doesn't flutter. The actual seat for the stab, on the other hand, had just gotten a little loose do to wear and foam compression. So I just added a little beef to the seat and distributed the loads a bit. Now pressure at the tip of the elevator flexes all the way to the rear of the wing saddle. I've also been practicing adding small bits of Skyloft, like to the elevator, with CA. I still haven't decided if I need or want to do any larger areas.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:49 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Here is a video of my modified ST Models ASW-28.

ST Models ASW 28 2,0 meter Segelfliegen (3 min 9 sec)
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Nov 2003
1,296 Posts
Nice!

Hi Thompson,
Nice ASW28. You really have taken this model into another level of scale detail and flight performance.
Good luck on your projects!
Ray
kostuk is offline Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:53 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostuk View Post
Hi Thompson,
Nice ASW28. You really have taken this model into another level of scale detail and flight performance.
Good luck on your projects!
Ray
Thank you Ray, Yes, the ASW-28 sure has been a fun journey! A hoot to fly too now it goes straight up when you hit the throttle.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:41 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,401 Posts
I went flying this morning and, while I thought it was a bit gusty, I was amazed to find out that gusts were over 30mph according to the weather service! The ASW handled it like a champ and I didn't even move the battery as far forward as possible. Also, while it was hard to judge in so much wind, I think that my work on the tail paid off. I even turned down my elevator throw a bit. The wings did, however, work their way out a few millimeters.

I finally got tired of wondering about the wings staying on so I added a couple wood pins for a more positive lock. I'm still deciding how I want to hold them in place with the two favorites being a pure friction fit and adding a piece of tape to grab the fishing line I used to pull them out. Pics tomorrow.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,401 Posts
Wing pins

Here's the pic of my installation, as promised. I simply installed the wings and drilled two holes through the body and center section. Then I hardened the holes with CA. I'll add some glass if/when they get sloppy. The pins are 3/16" dowel.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:53 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,609 Posts
of nuts and bolts

to hold the original prop hub in place you need 3mm nuts: 2 at front that are 5.5mm hex, and 1 at rear that is 7mm hex.
where do you find the 7mm?
the others are at hk but not this 1-at least i can't find it.
link?
thanks
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,401 Posts
Hi, phil.

I'm afraid I can't help because I'm not using the stock motor or spinner. I am using the stock blades on a HK 30mm spinner. It's a poor fit but I can't tell the difference at 20 meters. I would try a hardware store North of the border. If they don't have a 3/7mm nut they should have one with a smaller outside dimension and you could just epoxy it into the yoke. Most of the strength comes from the nuts jamming together in tension so you might be able to get away with just using a smaller nut. Just run the inside nut tight and then add everything else. I really don''t think it will make any difference if the nut doesn't fit the pocket in the yoke.

BTW. Don't try a 350watt motor that spins a 9X5" prop at over 11,000RPM. The elevator is simply too small to kill the pitch up!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:29 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,609 Posts
dead end alley?

thank you for your suggestion.
as i said, the smaller (5.5mm) hex is available at hk-i already got some-but hardware stores up here don't carry them that small.
and i wouldn't feel so comfident by epoxying anything on it.
what seems ridiculous to me is that the prop is designed to use it, some places have the stock prop, but it doesn't come with the hardware. besides, if the asw28 is sold by somebody (like hk), it would be logical that the plane comes with a basic set of spares like that, or that they sell spares of these so basic parts.

what happens is that i am working on another plane of my design that uses that fuselage and kind of motor, and i would like to use that kind of prop, but then again, these motors don't come with that nut-or any other at all. on the other hand, gws motors come with a set of hardware that includes the 5.5-but not the 7.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez