HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:28 PM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Hi V,
It appears that the V1 and V2 boards are the same except for the missing 845 accelerometer and connector for the firmware update. With the right skills and a decent soldering station, one could probably add the $5 accelerometer and load the v1.1 firmware to the V2. I am assuming the V1.1 flight performance is better than the V2 and it is worth the effort doing the mod.

@ All,
If this has been pointed out before, I apologize. Point me to the link if one exits please. A long search for that mod info was fruitless.

Where is the best price for a Wallkera Ladybird V2 or V1 flight controller board?

Do DEVO add-on Tx modules exist for Futaba Tx's?
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Banggood seems to be the cheapest for the V2 @21 usd. As they offer free shipping, but expect the delivery to take forever and then some.
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:04 PM
Joined Sep 2012
38 Posts
The first post convinced me to buy this quad as my first while I wait for my HK parts to build my own. Thanks for the great review and the Tmart coupon as I used them to place my order.

I went with the Ladybird V2 as it is Walkera and I am considering the Devo 7E as my transmitter for the quad I build. This Ladybird will at least let me try out the Devo 4 first and then I can use the 7E if I end up getting it.

Anyone have experience with the Devo 7E? I like the looks and smaller form factor as I've held friends transmitters and they always feel too big to me. The one downside is that Walkera receivers are a bit more compared to the ones on HK.
Porthos23 is offline Find More Posts by Porthos23
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:09 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,410 Posts
When the Ladybird first came out, I was taken aback with buying yet another Walkera transmitter for $50. This set up, although with a little less capability, is too good to pass up. I would rather get something from a TRUE US warehouse than buy from Hobby King and have to wait 3 weeks and pay a small fortune in S&H. I think Hobby King's US warehouse is a myth!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:19 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,266 Posts
Gents,
Here is a good deal:

Walkera LB v1 with 2402d Tx on sale $58 at http://www.nitroplanes.com/walkerahe...ProductReviews

Use the coupon code PRICEPICKLE for an additional 6% off your total on the LB at NitroPlanes:
Cheers,
Jim
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:58 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,410 Posts
What is the difference between the V1 and V2? Is it the transmitter? Some don't like the smaller V2 transmitter.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:36 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,266 Posts
K,
There have been several LB and Tx RTF combos sold. The best Tx that came with the priciest RTF combo was the DEVO7 which allows some battery level telemetry info. The next Tx sold in a RTF combo is the DEVO 2402d which has an LCD and some minor rate and channel reversal and limit features. The third Tx is the DEVO 4 which has no LCD. The DEVO 4 Tx is the one currently being sold in the lowest cost RTF combo. All the Tx's are stated to be better than the other micro quad toy grade Tx's out there.

The difference between the LB V1 and V2 micro flight controller is the lack of an accelerometer for self-leveling and the firmware upgrade connector. The PCB layout is exactly the same so in theory one with the right soldering skills and equipment could add the accelerometer and firmware to make the V2 FCB the same as the V1. That said those who have flown both seem to think they perform equally as well.
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
What is the difference between the V1 and V2? Is it the transmitter? Some don't like the smaller V2 transmitter.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Sep 26, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:04 AM
Take flight
Joined Aug 2004
2,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
K,
There have been several LB and Tx RTF combos sold. The best Tx that came with the priciest RTF combo was the DEVO7 which allows some battery level telemetry info. The next Tx sold in a RTF combo is the DEVO 2402d which has an LCD and some minor rate and channel reversal and limit features. The third Tx is the DEVO 4 which has no LCD. The DEVO 4 Tx is the one currently being sold in the lowest cost RTF combo. All the Tx's are stated to be better than the other micro quad toy grade Tx's out there.

The difference between the LB V1 and V2 micro flight controller is the lack of an accelerometer for self-leveling and the firmware upgrade connector. The PCB layout is exactly the same so in theory one with the right soldering skills and equipment could add the accelerometer and firmware to make the V2 FCB the same as the V1. That said those who have flown both seem to think they perform equally as well.
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Jim
Correct, In theory you should be able to upgrade the V2 board to V1 standards but I don't think anyone here have done it yet. Regarding the Tx, the stock Devo 4 is adequate for flight but if you want to fly the V2 to it's full potential, a computer radio is necessary. The 7 is a good radio for the price, but I suspect that the 7E and certainly the 10 are better choices as they are easier to program and also feature telemetry. It's up to the buyer and their budgets I guess...
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:18 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,410 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'm still a novice with regards to quads, so, maybe the programability isn't a big deal.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:59 AM
Take flight
Joined Aug 2004
2,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm still a novice with regards to quads, so, maybe the programability isn't a big deal.
In that case, buying the RTF set is a good choice. Test the waters but remember that what you experience with the Devo 4 is far from the real capabilities of the quad. Try it out and if you like it, upgrade to a better tx
Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do, Kodak_Jack!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:03 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,410 Posts
The V1 and V2 are about the same price right now, aren't they? That being the case, I'd be guessing which is a better choice. Of course, there are the many copies out there too.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Sep 2002
242 Posts
After sorting out the binding procedure, I've been having a blast flying this amazing little quad.

I'm not so happy with the TX, though. The sticks are stiff with the exception of the throttle which is too soft. Pushing the rudder, which is stiff, causes unwanted movement on the throttle, which is too soft.

Also, on low rate, the rudder responds too slowly. On high rate it's perfect but the ailerons and elevator are too quick. It's a mis-match.

I bought a 43B Walkera heli a few years ago and that was one of my more disappointing purchases in many years. If you TRIED, you couldn't make a more unstable heli. The transmitter though, WK-2401 is one fine piece of work. Basic functions but the quality is amazing.

So,,,,

I tried to bind the Ladybird to the WK=2401. No go, so far. Oh, it would be so perfect if this could be done. Any whiz kids out there with ideas? Please?
1705493 is offline Find More Posts by 1705493
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:52 PM
Swift Current, SK
Joined Aug 2009
22 Posts
If you buy the magic cube from Walkera you should be able to use your 2401 radio.
Mr.Fancypants is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Fancypants
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:49 PM
Joined Sep 2002
242 Posts
Thanks, FP. Never heard of it so I did a search. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a place to plug the cube into.

A shame, the WK 2401 has sticks with a just perfect feel. My Spektrum isn't as good, IMO. Aaaargh.

Looking inside both Tx's I'm now wondering if you could rip the guts out of the 2401, and install the guts of the Cheapo TX. Just a matter of hard wiring the sticks to the right points on the board.
1705493 is offline Find More Posts by 1705493
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:56 AM
Take flight
Joined Aug 2004
2,165 Posts
@1705493, then I guess you're out of luck, the reason why you cannot bind your WK2401 is because Walkera changed protocol and therefore it cannot "understand" the signal given by your 2401. Your best option is probably to buy the Devo 10 if you like the feel of the 2401.
The 7E is probably cheaper than the 10, but since it is made from the same tooling as the Devo 4 that you don't like... it'll probably feel the same as the 4 (I agree with your opinion that the sticks bind / are too stiff).
Another option is to get the Devo 7, but it is VERY hard to use/program..so I would not recommend it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:44 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fancypants View Post
If you buy the magic cube from Walkera you should be able to use your 2401 radio.
There is a large thread on the magic cube:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1716728

From what I read, only a Android phones and certain versions of 2801pro (and may be 2603) are supposed to work with the cube, not 2401.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Sep 28, 2012 at 12:28 PM.