Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:58 PM
United States, MI, Williamsburg
Joined Feb 2004
116 Posts
Discussion
GNOME by Midway Models

I was wondering if anyone had electrified a 1.5m (60in) Gnome and if you would care to share your set-up.

The nose is only 3/4 thick and I'm having trouble finding amotor that fits.

Thanks!

Thomas
Thomas Cummings is online now Find More Posts by Thomas Cummings
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:56 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,754 Posts
I have not on this ship, but have on several others.

A SP400 on 2S or similar kv BL inrunner on 2-3S, direct drive with a Graupner 6x3 prop, Mark Drela mod, with 30mm spinner could work.

Jared
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:04 PM
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Joined Sep 2007
698 Posts
Thomas,

I fly a 1.2 m plane with an Art Hobby ART500 motor and a 9x4.5 prop with a 460mAh battery. Very good performance in a small package. The motor is only 22mm in diameter. The website is arthobby.com.

Dave
Highride is offline Find More Posts by Highride
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,427 Posts
If you want to try out inexpensive motors; HobbyKing has many under 25mm diameter.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sp?diameter=20
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:12 PM
Hacienda Heights, CA
Joined Sep 2000
343 Posts
No need to go overseas to HK for a good, small, inexpensive inrunner- $10.99 + $3.99 flat rate shipping from Value Hobbies.

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...ner-motor.html

I checked the 20mm dia. against my Gnome plans, and it will be a shoe horn fit in the nose. You may have to sand a little off the fuse sides next to F1, or
shorten the nose a little when you make a new F1 ply motor mount.

The B2040-2080kv will provide good power with a 6x4 or 6x3 on 3s lipo. I'm using one in a 90's foamie sport plane which was designed for a brushed S400. I've also used it in another small, relatively heavy e-sailplane. Both planes fly well with this power plant, so it'll have ample power for the Gnome.

Jim
JimO is offline Find More Posts by JimO
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:17 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,092 Posts
Hobby King stuff is junk ... YMMV
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined May 2002
3,754 Posts
Good used Himax 2015 or 2025 w/ KV desired.

Oh Hey, that just reminds me, that I just may have a good used Himax 2025 4200KV laying about.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:38 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,276 Posts
I did one years ago with a speed 400 motor and an 18 amp esc and 7 cells (500mah). It flew quite nicely as it was very light. I flew it for a few years and sold it at a flea market just a few years ago.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined May 2002
3,754 Posts
I did well with my E converted NES Obsession I got from a friend.
In 60 seconds I did not climb as fast yet covered much more air and ended up about the same altitude.
SP400 on 7 cells with Jet controller and the prop mod.
Still have her with a new wing TBB.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...cfm?kit_id=586

Odd/sad that the SP400 motors can cost more now a days then the more efficient HK junk
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,427 Posts
Hmmm. I'm not looking for an argument but, since I'm retired and on a fixed income, I would not have been able to return to the hobby without the cheap Chinese, "junk". It enables one to fly for a fraction of the cost one could spend. It seems to me that QC is the big problem. They do ship a certain percentage of defective product but, if it works out of the box, it works well. I've been lucky since I took up the hobby again last March and the only defective component I've received was a servo in a foam PNF that wouldn't center. Everything else has worked as advertised.

Would I put $3.00 servos and a $15.00 motor in a big sailplane that costs hundreds of dollars? No. But the cheap stuff does provide an avenue to experiment and try new products with a minimal investment. I'm having the time of my life with the modern technology and have even influenced a couple other people to get electric gliders but, at this point in my life, I can't afford to be a snob. Even if I had more disposable income I would probably use the cheap stuff on something new in order to air test my paper predictions. Once I confirm the efficacy of a motor size, for instance, then I can get a higher quality motor knowing how it will perform. And I'll have a backup I can afford to leave in a drawer in case I feed a screw through said expensive motor!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:49 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,092 Posts
I hear you, Pete, but here's the problem:

Modelers purchase Chinese junk from HK and other suppliers and they put the LHS out of business ... and the LHS can't buy HK to carry in their shops.

Modelers come into the LHS with HK junk and want replacement parts ... no can do, buddy, so sorry. Modeler gets PO'd at the LHS ... everybody loses.

Manufacturers spend huge sums of money to develop new product that is then reverse engineered by Chinese vendors using cheap (sometimes equivalent) parts (but many times they are NOT equal quality parts). Pretty soon, the manufacturers decide, hey, why bother, HK will just rip us off, let's go do something else like market jigsaw puzzles and model railroad stuff.

You get what you pay for ...

Buy cheap, buy twice ...

Bye Bye ...
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:58 PM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
736 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly

The original Gnome (It later came in all sizes) kit was available in a version set up for Speed 400 electric motors and some of those kits may still be about. With modern gear, it should be a good performer. If you want a nice polyhedral sailplane that size and you cannot find a Gnome, take a look at Isthmus Models Zephyr.
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined Feb 2007
701 Posts
What world do you live in? I hate to burst that bubble but.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
I hear you, Pete, but here's the problem:

Modelers purchase Chinese junk from HK and other suppliers and they put the LHS out of business ... and the LHS can't buy HK to carry in their shops.

Modelers come into the LHS with HK junk and want replacement parts ... no can do, buddy, so sorry. Modeler gets PO'd at the LHS ... everybody loses.

Manufacturers spend huge sums of money to develop new product that is then reverse engineered by Chinese vendors using cheap (sometimes equivalent) parts (but many times they are NOT equal quality parts). Pretty soon, the manufacturers decide, hey, why bother, HK will just rip us off, let's go do something else like market jigsaw puzzles and model railroad stuff.

You get what you pay for ...

Buy cheap, buy twice ...

Bye Bye ...
NorCal Hobbies is offline Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:06 AM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,276 Posts
If my memory serves me right the GNOME was not a model that would break the bank. But if built with a bit of care and the use of sandpaper the finised product did not require a lot of power. A speed 400 on a 2 cell lipo of about 800 mah would do just fine as long as you were not looking for extreme vertical performance. And probably wouldnt cost a heck of a lot to boot.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:42 AM
United States, MI, Williamsburg
Joined Feb 2004
116 Posts
Thanks for all the advice!

Thomas
Thomas Cummings is online now Find More Posts by Thomas Cummings