My latest build SUPER HOTS!!!

Dan Santich plans glow to electric

54" span

88 oz. all up flying weight

Aeolian C4250 - 800KV -1050 watt w 80 A esc
Lipo 4s 5000 mah 50c
12 x 7 prop
pulls 905 watts on the meter

ecalc prop calc says 106 oz. static thrust.
Electrofish is offline Find More Posts by Electrofish
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:59 PM
Colorado Spring, CO
Joined Mar 2002
37 Posts
Looks Good. How does it fly? I have one that I built back in 1990. Still flies. Great Airplane.

Rod
Rod Hart is offline Find More Posts by Rod Hart
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:06 PM
United States, OK, Claremore
Joined Jun 2012
242 Posts
That looks awesome. Love the hots series. I also had a super hots years ago with a os .61. Also had the original hots and hots 2 and just finished a electric hots from model airplane news plans. Have plans of the orinal hots that I'm thinking going electric with.

Good luck with yours.
vicrider is offline Find More Posts by vicrider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: scratch fpv pusher
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:45 AM
United States, FL, Stuart
Joined Apr 2012
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hart View Post
Looks Good. How does it fly? I have one that I built back in 1990. Still flies. Great Airplane.

Rod
Haven't yet - I'm waiting for the right day - next week I think -

I had a .60 nitro for years and it flew great - until I got too lazy to check my battery and ................

I'm hoping the eleactric performs as well - I like the convience of not lugging a bunch of stuff around - I'll keep the group posted.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Apr 2012
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicrider View Post
That looks awesome. Love the hots series. I also had a super hots years ago with a os .61. Also had the original hots and hots 2 and just finished a electric hots from model airplane news plans. Have plans of the orinal hots that I'm thinking going electric with.

Good luck with yours.
Thanks.

I had a BGX 3000 powered Big Hots also - gave the plane, less motor, away - the Super is more agile and snappy, and the big stuff doesn't do it for me..

I ordered plans for the Lectric Hots - it looks like a nice small package of fun also.

Electric Hots (5 min 34 sec)

I'm going to power it with a Turnigy .10
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Jun 2012
242 Posts
I powered mine with an os .10 and it weights ready to fly at 33 oz with a 2200mah battery. Flys great.

Name: kd and plane 005.jpg
Views: 161
Size: 314.7 KB
Description:

Did you use a short kit when building your super ? Going to order the short kit for the standard .40 size hots today. Just havnt decided on glow or electric power yet.
Looking forward on how your super flys.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
256 Posts
I cut it from plans.

I saw the short kit online - I think I might go that way if there is a next time - my wood cost $125 and the plans were $25 - not a cheap deal when all is said and done. The cowl and top hatch were a pita to build since those were mods.

FYI: It's a one piece plane.

I'll post back after I fly it .

Your Lectric Hots is the one in the vid? Thats what promted me to build one - it flies awesome.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:05 PM
Joined Jun 2012
242 Posts
Your super hots is also tempting me to go to that route and for go the .40 size hots. My .61 powered super hots was also one peace with the hatch on the bottom. That plane was one of my all time favorites.

The video of the electric hots is mine. It was also hand cut, tried to find a short kit but none were being produced, if they did i would build another for my son inIaw. I enjoy flying it so much that if I destroy it I will build another.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:32 PM
Colorado Spring, CO
Joined Mar 2002
37 Posts
I am like many of you. Started with an Hots 40 in 1988. I had a rudder servo fail re-kitted it. I left for the Air Force. My dad rebuild and flew it for years till a mid air. I have the original wing. I plan on building new fuse and maybe 40 size electric. I build my super in 1990. and carted it around for 22 year of Air Force moves. I still fly it some. It sure is easier with dual rates and expo. I did not have that back in 1990. I also have an original Lectric Hots kit I need to build. Good memories.

Rod
Rod Hart is offline Find More Posts by Rod Hart
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Jun 2012
242 Posts
I bought my first hots kit when it was released by midwest back in the early mid 80's. a hots 2 followed a few years later and a super hots around the mid 90's and a couple months ago a electric hots from plans. Good memories with those.

Looking forward to see how electrofish's electric hots flies, im going to need a new project soon.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
848 Posts
the HOTs were always one of my favorite planes !! i had the hots, profile hots and the electric hots with a small 4 stroke motor on it. They were all great flyers and i love the shape.
xrx1113 is offline Find More Posts by xrx1113
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
256 Posts
I got the plans for the Lectric Hots. I was thinking of blowing tem up 20% to get a 42" Span.

What do you think?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined Jun 2012
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrofish View Post
I got the plans for the Lectric Hots. I was thinking of blowing tem up 20% to get a 42" Span.

What do you think?
Sounds like a good Idea to me, .25 size?
Before I built mine I had imagined it would have appeared smaller. But now that its finished it appears bigger.
The midwest version of the electric hots had a 42 inch wingspan, but the only real differance between there version and the plans built version was the large wing tips.
I have the plans for the original hots and its actually a couple inchs shorter then the electric hots but has a much fatter airfoil and a 48inch span. It has a chunkier look. The electric hots I think has more of the lines of a super hots then the original hots.

Im still up in the air about which one to do next, original or super?,( I did find that fiberglass specialties makes a glass cowl for the super and hots 2.) but now you you have givin me something else to think about, a .25 size super hots.

How did your super hots fly?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Apr 2012
256 Posts
It does look small on the plans - thats why I was thinking of going up, plus where I am it's always a little windy.

So you think a .25 size engine will do it if I go that way?

When I built mine I couldn't find the cowl on the fiberglass specialties site.

I'm going to take it up this coming week. A buddy of mine asked me to wait for him.

I'll definitly let you know if it comes home in one piece or in a bag.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:54 AM
Joined Jun 2012
242 Posts
Putting an electric .25 in it would be a guess on part, still new to this electric, if glow yes.

I just looked for that cowl and it's there on there site under kits then Midwest. I might be wrong but I thought the kit super hots was identical to the plans built one.
RCG Plus Member