bommerglide is offline Find More Posts by bommerglide
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:02 AM
fast,,,, faster
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,406 Posts
great job as usual Nodd.
hope the weather gets better for test flight.love to see this baby in action.
Ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:14 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,793 Posts
Great project and brilliant build log. Really clean.

Best of luck with the flight testing.....hope you have calm and warm conditions. This one is almost too nice to fly.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nosey
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:45 PM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
669 Posts
Thanks guys, appreciate the encouragement.

Control Freak
I did bump into a small issue with my control surfaces though. Something I'm glad I caught before the maiden. It's something better suited to video Vs still photos so here's that...

Nodd RC - 035 - Control Freak (5 min 33 sec)
Nodd is online now Find More Posts by Nodd
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:40 PM
USA, CT, Wilton
Joined Nov 2010
130 Posts
Any updates Nodd?
Merkin77 is offline Find More Posts by Merkin77
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:10 AM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
669 Posts
Sorry for the delay, the weather has been pretty miserable. But fear not! Here's what you've been waiting seven long months for...

Nodd RC - 036 - Sailplane II Maiden Flight (18 min 54 sec)

I'll post the flight report tomorrow, it's getting a tad late.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:29 AM
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Hasselt
Joined Jul 2012
13 Posts
That really is a wonderfull sailplane!
I wish i could built a sailplane like that...
Rian21w is offline Find More Posts by Rian21w
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:29 AM
fast,,,, faster
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,406 Posts
All I can say is wow,Nodd I'm sure you are a very proud owner.looks like this baby has a wide speed envelope too.
Ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:49 PM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
813 Posts
Mr. Nodd, I am shocked!! With as much diligence, patience and skill as you put into building a beautiful model, you throw that thing up in the air with one of the controls reversed.....tsk, tsk, tsk......great build though and it does look beautiful in the air....cheers,

Don
Brner is offline Find More Posts by Brner
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:16 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,443 Posts
Congratulations! You should get naming rights for the next pteranodon or sea gull that gets named. I've set up a V-tail backwards a couple times myself. One starts think of them as ailerons and...

So. When will the kit hit the shelves?
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:20 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,793 Posts
Can you believe how well this plane flew "right off of the building board" ?
Perfectly balanced, perfectly trimmed, control surface deflections set right......

If it weren't for the reversed servo, I don't think that I would have believed it.

I have to admit that when I post a maiden flight video, I might leave a mistake or two. Nicely done Nodd.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nosey
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:07 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
669 Posts
Thanks everyone for the comments. No excuses on the V-tail mix up, pure brain-fart there. I mean I totally understand how V-tails work & how to set them up but yeap, I got it backwards anyway. At least it wasn't the ailerons, right?

Flight Report
Well the video pretty much sums up how she flew but here's a few observations.

Handling
I'd say she flies on rails but that's not really true. She seems to be naturally stable & will self-right quite nicely. At the same time there's not so much stability that she fights you all the time. Once banked she continues to turn but will eventually level back out. That makes for some relaxed flying, just what I wanted. The same appears to be true for pitch. I found I had to input very little if any elevator corrections to maintain level flight. By some bizarre miracle she seems to be right on the money with no tendencies to porpoise or dive. I'll probably leave the control throws be as they feel very predictable, responsive yet not in the slightest bit twitchy.

Power
While she's far from a rocket the climb rate is pretty good for a 70 oz airframe running on a 35/30mm 710kv motor. Our club does some informal ALES (altitude limited electric soaring) all up, last one down, competitions. Although I don't have an ALES motor shutoff installed we timed a 30 second motor run to altitude & she gets up there no problem. Should be more than enough power for my needs.

I have the throttle setup on my three position "flap" toggle switch. I like to think of it like a mini-throttle stick. Push it forwards to go, pull it back to glide. Positions are: 0% - 50% - 100% power.

Flaps
I wanted big flaps & that's what I ended up with. Setup on the left stick, sailplane style, I can proportionally dial in anything from 0 to around 50. At around 35 the ailerons start to raise, doing the crow thing. I'm really impressed how effective this setup is. It's hard to see in the video but I stuck her in a 45 dive at one point with full flaps deployed & she just putt-putted on down without gaining any real speed at all. That made landing her a real joy, very easy to control the decent while maintaining a nice ultra slow speed.

Thermalling
I can only speculate how she'll perform while thermalling but one thing is clear, she seems to be a floater. With her long tail-arm she turns very smoothly which is half the battle while thermalling. I also noticed the wings signaled any bumps loud & clear. I attribute that to my tapered-strength wing design. Most of the structure is towards the center tapering out to very little at the tips. This keeps the wingtips light & responsive to thermal bumps. I can't wait for some good air at the field. Up, up & away!

Conclusion
Granted there's airframes out there that'd fly circles around & totally outperform my bird but that's not really what this project was about. I wanted to have fun designing something a little odd-ball, something a little different. At the same time I wanted her to be somewhat high-performing but that wasn't the main drive. Her design is as much about having fun building, trying out interesting techniques & materials, looking different & yeah, hopefully fly nicely to boot. I created something unique, that's all mine, make the way I'd do it if I were in charge. Yeap, she's a keeper.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:12 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,106 Posts
Dear Nodd Great Job. I'll go back and read your flight report,Hear is what I saw.
Despite the rudder being reversed (done that),It made beauty full turns with the wings flat.Aileron response was instantaneous. Flaps and crow very good , good speed range.May be it's your piloting skills but it;s turns are very impressive.
I think that plane would be a good contender in ALES.Last year I flew my Electra .This year I'll fly a mirage in ALES. Next year a red mearl. We need to keep costs under control in at least one category of sail planes.One good way to do that is give the moldy s a hard time with radians and Electra's and planes like yours.We have all seen what happened in DLG.Thanks again.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:18 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
669 Posts
I had plenty of aileron differential dialed in so she turned well without any rudder input. Just as well considering I also had some aileron > rudder mix going on which would have been going the wrong direction. Yay for differential is all I can say there. Obviously once I corrected the problem she turned much better.

Our club's ALES stuff is just about as informal as it gets. Half of us don't even have auto-cutoffs installed, we just burn for 30 seconds then it's on. We also don't keep score, it's just about having fun & forcing ourselves to fly better.

I'm not sure if real ALES competition is the thing for me but yeap it'd be interesting to see how the new sailplane holds up in competition. Is it Spring yet? *grin*
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:08 AM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,106 Posts
Hi Nodd we also do a low key ALES( Rochester soaring group). We did a group buy of cam units, and use Tail Wind Gliders scoring soft ware. It is so much fun it;s hard to dis scribe.Our main focus with the contests is to learn how to fly a contest, and improve flying skills.It's a blast.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993