Weather Conditions: watch video

Slope soaring (1 min 29 sec)
pilottube is offline Find More Posts by pilottube
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:51 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,996 Posts
Had a lot flights with my blaster 2 dlg today, but only managed 16 mins this aft but lots of flights over 5 mins.
Tested my 1 cell lipo 1200mah for rx for duration lol, went out at about 1:30pm and flew till 5:15pm lol, batt was at 3.95v and so there's a lot more left in batt but my arm and shoulder were definitely beyond the limit!!!
This mornings 22 min flight was after playing for about 2 hours and so with the nimh or a 2 cell 350mah lipo I would not have been able to stay in it for risking a flat battery.
I just need a bionic arm now to match the battery endurance.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:54 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
Had a lot flights with my blaster 2 dlg today, but only managed 16 mins this aft but lots of flights over 5 mins.
Tested my 1 cell lipo 1200mah for rx for duration lol, went out at about 1:30pm and flew till 5:15pm lol, batt was at 3.95v and so there's a lot more left in batt but my arm and shoulder were definitely beyond the limit!!!
This mornings 22 min flight was after playing for about 2 hours and so with the nimh or a 2 cell 350mah lipo I would not have been able to stay in it for risking a flat battery.
I just need a bionic arm now to match the battery endurance.
Nigel,
I have a coupe of 1 cell 1200 ma batteries I was planning to use to run video cameras, but cannot figure out how to charge them. Is there any sort of diagram showing how to wire a single cell for charging?
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:47 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,996 Posts
Jumpysticks, I have imax b6 charger and you just select lipo charge set the cell count to 1 cell, connect the plus to plus and the negative to negative with the connectors you are using and charge at the 1.2amp or so, that's it there is no connection to balance lead as there is nothing to balance.
you can use fast charge or charge settings.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:04 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
A little thermal action yesterday, but the wind started blowing and killed it.

Best i could do was 12:58.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,586 Posts
Hi, guys. I finally got a chance to get caught up with the bookkeeping. You will notice that I have posted runners up in the results post. Unless someone has any objections I think I'll limit it to the top three with only one per pilot though it will include the second best time from current leaders.

As always, let me know if I missed something or screwed up. I should have a better handle on things for next month's contest.

Thanks!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,586 Posts
Hi, 744Drv.

That's a lovely flight but I'm not sure whether it should be counted as a thermal flight or slope. I haven't left you out I just don't know which category to place you in.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,586 Posts
Hi, 320.

Thanks for the input on the little Sea Fury. Very tempting!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:22 PM
Hong Kong, Discovery Bay
Joined Apr 2011
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Hi, 744Drv.

That's a lovely flight but I'm not sure whether it should be counted as a thermal flight or slope. I haven't left you out I just don't know which category to place you in.
Most definitely slope. I take my hat off to the guys who get some long flights with only thermals in a flat field. Slope flying can be so easy sometimes it is almost cheating!!! I can also get away with being considerably below launch altitude and fight back up the hill .... A luxury a flat field flier doesn't have. Keep up the good work
744drv is offline Find More Posts by 744drv
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:34 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 744drv View Post
Most definitely slope. I take my hat off to the guys who get some long flights with only thermals in a flat field. Slope flying can be so easy sometimes it is almost cheating!!! I can also get away with being considerably below launch altitude and fight back up the hill .... A luxury a flat field flier doesn't have. Keep up the good work
Below launch level is definitely not where we "flat fielders" want to be.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,586 Posts
Got you, 744drv. You have the category to yourself.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,586 Posts
I fly from a split level dual football/soccer field, JumpySticks. I call the gentle, grassy, 12 foot rise my "arrestor wires". I have an uncanny knack for nosing straight into it no matter how carefully I fly my landing approaches!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:47 AM
Hong Kong, Discovery Bay
Joined Apr 2011
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Below launch level is definitely not where we "flat fielders" want to be.
No not where I want to be either as I have no sensible below launch landing sites. I fight the conditions as long as I dare to get a valid flight entry ... otherwise I use the motor to get back up ( and invalidate getting my flight on here). It is daunting sometimes when I apply power and pray for the motor to work. I have another aeroplane with a folding prop and the prop sometimes catches on the fuselage and will not let the motor run. If it failed to work on the RP I would either be in thick snake wriden undergrowth or trying to land a long way off ..... which I doubt would provide a sucessful conclusion.
744drv is offline Find More Posts by 744drv
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:26 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,996 Posts
I too have a little slope about 8ft too between football fields, and on occations when the wind blows up it right I can slope along it a little bit with my blaster dlg and more then once found the plane at the bottom of the hill and managed to get it back up again though sometimes only by waking down it lmfao!
Sloping properly is something that I have not done yet as the missus always has the car so I have to fly down in the local football field, but I love thermalling and it's really very rewarding when you catch a good thermal or two in a row.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,586 Posts
I have should have launched 10 minutes sooner! I had a 33 minute flight today but they turned on the dang sprinklers so I had to stroll over to the baseball diamond and had to bail out of a wonderful stationary thermal.