Joined Apr 2012
2,671 Posts
Contest
The September big sky international soaring contest

THE SEPTEMBER BIG SKY INTERNATIONAL
LONGEST DURATION CONTEST FOR ALL ELECTRIC AND HAND LAUNCHED GLIDERS
THERMAL SOARING AND SLOPE SOARING
RULES AND INFO:
Contest will run from 12:01 am September 1 to 11:59 PM September 30 Eastern US time.
The contest is for ALL electric or hand launched gliders or airplanes of all sizes, all materials and all controls. The contest is intended to help motivate you to develop your thermal and slope soaring skills.
The contest is open to all gliders, e-gliders and, if you like, e-airplanes too. If it glides, it qualifies.
In Thermal Duration, the contest is split into three classifications, 2-meter and under E Gliders, Open class E Gliders and Hand Launch Gliders.
You can post as many times as you like using as many planes as you like, but only one will be counted per pilot per category regardless of what kind of plane you are flying. You can replace a shorter time with a longer time any point during the contest. You can fly as many flights as you like.
Goal - longest duration thermal and slope flights without use of the motor.
THE PLANES:
* Any electric motor system or unpowered hand launch glider. (No winches or Hi-Starts).
* Any wing controls and any wing span
* Any construction
BIG SKY - ELECTRIC THERMAL SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 30 seconds, then you turn the motor off and you can not restart it. Reclimbs are not permitted. If you restart the motor the flight time is no good.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle. This is an LMR, Limited Motor Run contest with a pretty long motor run allowed so that the motor run itself does not provide much advantage to anyone. Many will choose to shut off the motor in less than 30 seconds. No credit for shorter motor runs.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. I have multiple timers on my radio so I can do this with my radio alone. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground/hand. No reclimbs permitted.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.
BIG SKY - HAND LAUNCH THERMAL SOARING
1) Soaring time starts at release of the plane.
2) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be hand catch or on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.
BIG SKY - SLOPE SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 5 seconds, if you need it to get into the lift. I would expect most slope flights will have no motor run but some sites need a boost to the lift.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle and is subtracted from the total flight time.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing has to be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the same level as the launch. Landing down the slope or up in the trees does not count. You must come to rest in a "normal" landing spot and be able to walk over and pick it up. I realize this can vary by slope site so you are on your honor as to whether this was a normal landing.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground or hand. No powered reclimbs permitted. If you restart the motor the flight does not count.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. Try as many days as you like to get your best time of the month.
For either contest you report the results via post.
Report Format:
Your Name - Real or RCGroup Name - your choice
Glider/plane name and wingspan:
Thermal, Hand Launch or Slope:
Date and Time of flight:
Duration of flight:
Comments - You are welcome to report anything you like about the day, the flight. Pictures, videos, gps plots, etc are welcome but not required.
I will maintain the thread and keep the second post updated with the top 10 Thermal (2 meter class) top 10 Thermal (Open class)and top ten Slope reports. Only one flight of each type will be recorded in the standings for each pilot. A new better time will replace the original.
THREAD CONTENT -
This thread is for contest reports and for discussion about the contest only.
Contest Records:
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Last edited by peterlngh; Sep 04, 2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Dates.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,671 Posts
Figuring things out.

Standings:

2 Meter Electric

Belem
Radian
Thermal
Sept 16, 2012
Duration : 41:03 30 sec run
Roseville CA
Sunny warm, variable wind

Open class electric

Pilot: Palo (RCG nick: Tender)
Glider: Electra-V from MIBO
Date and Time of flight: Sept 21/12 03:30 pm
Motor run 29 seconds
Duration of flight: 47 min 01 sec (total plus motor run 47:30 )

Hand Launch

Pilot: nigel sheffield
hand launch
Glider: blaster 2 dlg
Date and Time of flight: Sept 22/10 10:10 am
Duration of flight: 22 min

Slope

744Drv
Glider: Radian Pro
Slope: 2 meter
Date and Time of flight: September 22, 13:50 PM
Duration of flight: 41:30

Pilottube
Glider: Radian
Slope: 2 meter
Date and Time of flight: September 21, 19:50 PM
Duration of flight: 26:38

Runners up:

2meter electric

Blunight
Glider: Radian
Thermal
Date and Time of flight: September 25, 2012 2:45pm
Duration of flight: 17:52 (after 30 sec motor run)
Max Altitude: 1,642 ft
Weather Conditions: Sunny, 65 degrees. Wind gusty, 5 to 10 mph.

Pilottube
Glider: radian 2m
Thermal: 2 meter E-Glider
Date and Time of flight: September 7, 14:10
Duration of flight: 17 min 09 secs, with 20sec motor run
Weather Conditions: Sunny, winds calm

JumpySticks
Glider: Radian Pro 2m
Date and Time of flight: September 16, 11:00am
Duration of flight: 15:44
Weather Conditions: Sunny, Light & Variable, 88 degrees

Tim Lynch
Glider: Graupner Elektro Junior S - with Thermal Scout & Eagle Tree Altimeter
Date and Time of flight: September 3, 12:30 PM
Duration of flight: 12:58
Max Altitude: 1021' AGL
Weather Conditions: Partly cloudy, upper 80's, light winds

Open class electric

320 Pilot
Glider: Pulsar 3.2m REF
Thermal
Date and Time of flight: Sept 17/12 5:25pm
Motor run 16 seconds
Duration of flight: 39 min 44sec (less motor run)

Friday
Topmodel Albatros 2,4E
Thermal
21/Sep
00:34:22 20sec motor run excluded
Spata, Athens - Greece

Mr. E
Mirage open class electric
Thermal
Date and Time of flight: Sept 15, 2012 11AM
Motor run 30 seconds
Duration of flight: 28 min 10sec (less motor run)

Hand launch

Nigel sheffield.
Glider: blaster dlg
Thermal: hand launch
Date and Time of flight: September 8, 11:02
Duration of flight: 12 min 02 secs
Weather Conditions: Sunny, winds turbulant

Slope
Last edited by peterlngh; Sep 25, 2012 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Adding results.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,671 Posts
I forgot to mention my all time record flight.

I got about 6 1/2 minutes on my ASW28 today so I'm going to award myself a new plane next month!
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:43 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Peter,
The second post is where you should place the results. You just edit it as new entries come in.
I answered your PM for sticky instructions.
Oh, and thanks, but AEAJR deserves the credit for starting up the contest, I just took my turn at the helm.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,671 Posts
Thanks, JS. And thanks, AEAJR! Let me have it if I screw up.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:20 AM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
Just a quick question. In thermal if we normally catch our plane will that count as a landing?
UberZogster is offline Find More Posts by UberZogster
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:23 AM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined Jul 2007
135 Posts
Your Name -Andrew Smith
Pulsar 3.2me REF
Thermal
Date and Time of flight: Sept 3/12 10:35am
Duration of flight: 18 min 23 sec
Location: Nearest City and State or Country: Dartmouth Nova Scotia, Canada

Andrew
Andrew Smith is online now Find More Posts by Andrew Smith
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:30 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
Tim Lynch
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,671 Posts
Hang with me! I'm still trying to get the thread turned into a "sticky". Not really sure what's going on but I'll get it straightened out ASAP.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:02 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Peter,

You will first need to add bold headings for each of the contest classes under post no. 2.
Go to post 2 and hit the edit button. Then delete everything you have in that post, and replace it with the contest classes below. You can copy and paste them from this post.
They are:

2 Meter Electric

Open class electric

Hand Launch

Slope

Then copy the first entry of Andrew. Then go back to post 2 and hit the "edit" button.

Paste Andrew's entry in post 2, below the "Open Class Electric" heading you added earlier.

Then come down and copy Tim's entry. Go back to post 2, hit "edit" and add Tim's entry under 2 Meter Electric category heading.

After pasting new entries, I usually turn the pilot's name bold. Just looks better.

Don't worry too much about the sticky. It sometime takes a couple days for the mods to respond. As long as new entries are being posted the contest will remain high on the list even if it's not sticky. The link from last month's contest will lead the active participants here anyway. The reason you want it sticky is to attract new fliers.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,671 Posts
Thanks, Jumpy Sticks.

I've been proving one of the corollaries to Murphy's Law.

Each new task assumed will result in a dramatic increase in distractions from said task.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:39 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Standings:

2 Meter Electric

Tim Lynch

Open Class Electric

Andrew Smith
Pulsar 3.2me REF
Thermal
Date and Time of flight: Sept 3/12 10:35am
Duration of flight: 18 min 23 sec
Location: Nearest City and State or Country: Dartmouth Nova Scotia, Canada

Hand Launch

Slope
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:41 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Try pasting that into post 2. You will probably have to format the bold text by selecting and hitting the bold button for each one.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,671 Posts
I think I've got it now. Thanks again.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,489 Posts
Open Class Electric

320 Pilot
Glider: Pulsar 3.2m REF
Thermal
Date and Time of flight: Sept 6/12 6:35pm
Motor run 15 seconds
Duration of flight: 33 min 07sec (less motor run)
Max altitude 1464 AGL

Caught some "lift" along a ridge line at dusk. A thunderstorm had just gone through, so I launched after it passed.
At altitude Pulsar just hung in the air, indicating a strong flow aloft, so I headed above a local ridge, and got lucky. At that point I just zig-zagged back and forth, with the occasional circling to stay in the wave. Even as the wave lost some lift, the Pulsar descended slowly , see second graph.

An amazing, floater
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Sep 06, 2012 at 08:34 PM.