SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:41 AM
United States, TX, Converse
Joined Mar 2012
464 Posts
Hey jlt13th , thanks for the cool pics, I never noticed the exhaust pipe on the Warlock, Im sure the engine was sea water cooled and more than likley there was a water outlet nere the water line unless it was under the waterline and thats very rear. but going to do some homework
pops880 is offline Find More Posts by pops880
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:44 AM
Joined Mar 2012
464 Posts
nhp651 cool pic ofthe Blue shark, whats the story behind this pic?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:14 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,799 Posts
The one that got away! / shark bait (1 min 35 sec)
more fun than the chum scene in jaws
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:52 AM
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Aug 2011
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlt13th View Post
The Warlock had that metal plate as well and also had a smoke stack coming out of the top like the Orca.Im guessing it must have had a wet exhaust back when it was in its original state,before it was modified to look as it did as the Warlock.
Also,if Im not mistaken,I think the engines with the smoke stacks are cooled by the motor sucking up sea water.I used to work on old boats,but never got into engine work though.
BTW:Pops your boat is looking great!
The exhaust stack in the picture on the right indicates a dry exhaust, or a "closed system", just like the one in your car. The only difference being a boat has a heat exchanger in place of a radiator. The engine has a water pump that pumps water through the tubed heat exchanger and then overboard through it's own piping. The exhaust goes overboard through a separate system such as the exhaust stack seen in the picture. A "sea water" cooled engine uses the water pump to pump sea water through the block and special exhaust manifolds to cool the engine and the exhaust and then overboard combined with the exhaust through piping similar to the piping noted in the picture on the left. The coolant in a "closed system" is normally a water and antifreeze mix and can be left in the engine year round. A "sea water" cooled engine has to be drained and "winterized" in cold climates to prevent freezing. These systems are also much more prone to corrosion and in time blockage of interior water passages in the engine and it's manifolds. The system also has to be properly installed to prevent water from back flooding through the system and entering and damaging the engine. I hope this helps clear us some of the questions about marine exhaust systems.

DDWILLIE
DDWILLIE is offline Find More Posts by DDWILLIE
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Mar 2012
464 Posts
Thanks DDWILLIE, that was great info. jlt13th and I was wondering if the Orca(Warlock) had or has a seawater coolent outlet at the waterline on the side if the boat, becuase I was thinking of adding one on my model to repleceat the same affects, Im trying to keep the model to true life.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Mar 2012
464 Posts
this is whats in "Q"s
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:05 PM
Near Fleetwood, lancashire, UK
Joined Jun 2009
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops880 View Post
nhp651 cool pic ofthe Blue shark, whats the story behind this pic?
It was a story about a New zealand fishing vessel that hooked a shark rather than Tuna, and as it was being brought aboard, the Great white took it's tail off.........frightening.
was in the UK paper Daily Mail sometime in the past few days.

neil.
nhp651 is offline Find More Posts by nhp651
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
464 Posts
Millertime, I looked on the Autozone web to and its not there I called them and they dont have it on there web just in the store, but I found it at PEPBOYS: http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/523552/00713/
and this web site to but pricey :/
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
I paid only $16.21
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:34 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,279 Posts
Thank You Pops.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:56 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,064 Posts
Pops, There has been allot of great info and pictures show up in this thread and I hope that more come through, That plus your great build
Charlie
charlie eaton is online now Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:31 PM
Joined Mar 2012
464 Posts
Thank you Charlie, and thanks to everyone else for all the pics. got the hull glassed this weekend I will have the pics posted soon
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:43 AM
Joined Mar 2012
464 Posts
WOW, that crazy I've seen that before and I like it
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:05 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,683 Posts
This is a complex model, I hadn't looked till now, I will read through !

Glad I dont have sharks at my bach porch.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:51 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,064 Posts
I think that if I got another Novi hull, I would build the Warlock as it was before conversion to Orca. There are enough pictures to be able to come fairly close to it.
charlie eaton is online now Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:38 PM
DCN
Joined Aug 2005
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie eaton View Post
I think that if I got another Novi hull, I would build the Warlock as it was before conversion to Orca. There are enough pictures to be able to come fairly close to it.
I could kick myself Charlie, but you can't kick me,..... There was a guy on Ebay a couple months back that made an ORCA, Warlock and Ben Gardener's boat. They looked great. But now that you mention this, i'm wishing i'd saved the auction pictures. He did full interiors of all 3 boats. On Ben Gardener's boat he even had legs sticking out of the galley, and a head sticking out the bottom hole in the hull.
DCN is offline Find More Posts by DCN