SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Nov 2007
71 Posts
Quote:
Did you have pictures of the crew cabin, or just wing it?
I just based it off of what I saw on film.To my knowledge,no photos exist of the lower cabin area.

Quote:
The door at the bow is where the Head (toilet) is.
I always thought that was probably a storage area,because in the scene where Jaws attacks the boat at night,we see that door swing open and all that stuff tumbles out of it.If you look to the right of the door to the bow area youll see a quik glimpse of either a sink or toilet.I drew up a quik sketch of what I assume is the layout.See what you think..

BTW:You got any pics of your 1/6th scale build?
jlt13th is offline Find More Posts by jlt13th
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:16 PM
DCN
Joined Aug 2005
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlt13th View Post
I just based it off of what I saw on film.To my knowledge,no photos exist of the lower cabin area.

I always thought that was probably a storage area,because in the scene where Jaws attacks the boat at night,we see that door swing open and all that stuff tumbles out of it.If you look to the right of the door to the bow area youll see a quik glimpse of either a sink or toilet.I drew up a quik sketch of what I assume is the layout.See what you think..

BTW:You got any pics of your 1/6th scale build?
Hoopers work bench was a bed (covered in all his crap) It's so hard to tell in that clip. My best guess is when the door swings open, everything is falling off the toilet. Now you've got me stumped as to what is at the foot of each bed. i thought the beds went from bulkhead to bulkhead. I'll have to look close at the movie again. I do know that each bed has 5 drawers. 3 small and 2 large in them. There were life jackets stuffed between the rafters (not just the hanging ones Quint grabs for) Then there's the little stuff, like the electrical breaker box to the left of the Machete. electrical outlets on the cabin wall below the porthole. In 1/6 scale you can see all this stuff. I actually messaged Carl Gottlieb on FaceBook asking him for photos if he had any interior shots of the ORCA. I got no responce though. If Joe Alves is on FaceBook, I can't find him. Only a fan production page.
You did a great job on the Cutaway. I can't tell you how many times i looked at that picture. FYI; I actually found your picture on a yahoo picture search.
DCN is offline Find More Posts by DCN
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:35 PM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,063 Posts
In message #85 the profile of the Warlock you can see that it was a sportfisherman and as such it would have had fancier appointments in the main cabin then a workboat so bunks with drawers and a toilet and a small gas stove would be correct for the Orca. During the conversion they most likely didn't change anything in the forward cabin. Here in the Merrimack river there was a sporty very similar to the Warlock called the ''Tony'' for many years. It was a Novi and about the same size. It was brought down from N.S. by sea as an open unfinished(no deck or cabin) with a model A ford engine in it.
charlie eaton is online now Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined Nov 2007
71 Posts
Quote:
Hoopers work bench was a bed (covered in all his crap) It's so hard to tell in that clip
Yeah.the Orca had an odd layout.Normally on an old fishing boat,youd just have the V berth for the beds.I know a guy who I can ask about this.He boarded the boat while it was sitting at universal.

Quote:
i thought the beds went from bulkhead to bulkhead
I think so as far as Quints goes.His looks to go all the way to the end,unlike I did it on my cut a way....I know at the end of the area where all Hoopers crap was,you can see a sink or toilet though and there also appears to be a small inlet at the beginning of the Hooper bench/bed area as well.Below are a few screen grabs.Its about all we got to work with

Quote:
You did a great job on the Cutaway. I can't tell you how many times i looked at that picture. FYI; I actually found your picture on a yahoo picture search
Thanks.Its not 100% perfect.But I worked with what I had at the time.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Nov 2007
71 Posts
Quote:
Warlock you can see that it was a sportfisherman and as such it would have had fancier appointments in the main cabin then a workboat so bunks with drawers and a toilet and a small gas stove would be correct for the Orca.
Yeah.The Warlock was no doubt made fancier than it would have originally been,when it was just an old lobster boat...BTW:Charlie.You were mentioning how Gregs Novi plans would probably work well for the Orca..Indeed they do.I posted a few pics below of one I built from Gregs design a couple years ago.The design does take alot of work to get the Orca though.I had to get rid of the step sheer and raise the sheer line about an inch.Another issue is the width.Gregs design has a narrower bow and fuller beam and transom than the older Novi desing of the Warlock.Orca...You can see from the birds eye view just how wide it is.Still great plans though.Ive built a couple cool,non Orca boats from this design to
Last edited by jlt13th; Feb 02, 2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:35 PM
DCN
Joined Aug 2005
50 Posts
Ok go slow because this is cool stuff.
Pic 1, Would a sink have a lock down on it? The light is too low to be a toilet, you'd be bumping into it if you turned around to sit. (ok, i just cracked myself up over that comment) It also looks like that cabinet over the (call it a sink) might have at one time had a mirror in it.
Pic 2, The door opens from right to left, so might the toilet be on the same side of the hull as the sink? or walk straight in to it?
Pic 3 At the right of the pic, Are those the step down from the Galley? That's a milk crate under the fishing rods. This camera angle has me totally confussed. Is the camera sitting on the second step? The big thing you have to remember about this picture is, any teak wood is the WARLOCK, and white wood is the conversion Joe Alves did on the boat. The WARLOCK (if you look at the picture Harquebus posted) originally had square cabin windows, NOT portholes.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:44 PM
DCN
Joined Aug 2005
50 Posts
By the way...... Charlie and JT. You guys are the best. This is what the hobby is all about!!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Nov 2007
71 Posts
Quote:
Would a sink have a lock down on it? The light is too low to be a toilet, you'd be bumping into it if you turned around to sit. (ok, i just cracked myself up over that comment) It also looks like that cabinet over the (call it a sink) might have at one time had a mirror in it.
Pic 2, The door opens from right to left, so might the toilet be on the same side of the hull as the sink? or walk straight in to it?
Tough call.Im thinking maybe that work bench/bed that Hooper used was made by the movie crew.That section could have been a bathroom area at one time with a mirror on the wall,as you pointed out.That hanging light was probably only there for that scene.I cant imagine anyone putting a light that low.

Quote:
Pic 3 At the right of the pic, Are those the step down from the Galley? That's a milk crate under the fishing rods. This camera angle has me totally confussed. Is the camera sitting on the second step?
Yes.To the right is where the machete wall is (although the machete is out of view) and further over is where quint would have stepped down.Check out the pics below.I tried to clear it up a bit.So hopefully it may help with your model build.

Quote:
The big thing you have to remember about this picture is, any teak wood is the WARLOCK, and white wood is the conversion Joe Alves did on the boat. The WARLOCK (if you look at the picture Harquebus posted) originally had square cabin windows, NOT portholes
Yep.The Warlock had square windows,which are visible in these shots.Check them out
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:46 PM
United States, TX, Converse
Joined Mar 2012
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlt13th View Post
Looking really nice pops...As Charlie mentioned,Gregs plans work well for the Orca.I built an orca from them a couple years ago.However,they do take alot of modifications to get them to where they need to be for the Orca..Ill try and find my photos,which show the boat in various stages....
Looks like your on the right track with what your doing.
thanks jlt13th, its coming along well, same here with my plans that I'm drafting, as I go, and make modifications as well, Im sure that when she is done I should have a great set of plans to put on market
pops880 is offline Find More Posts by pops880
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
464 Posts
Hi Band1, about the glue its trend primeim glue that I got from LOWS, it works great and not messy
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:50 PM
DCN
Joined Aug 2005
50 Posts
NICE PoPs!!! Are you going to glass the hull? I see a stern light!!!! Not many people know that was a stern light. You're getting to the fun part pops. when the cabin walls go up things move fast.
Last edited by DCN; Dec 23, 2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
464 Posts
thank DCN, I m posting some more pic of the stern lite soon, and yes Im having fun