Closed Thread
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:27 PM
OHIO
Joined Aug 2009
1,607 Posts
Like A Glove Very nice man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arngeir Blakseth View Post
Last two pics is for Billy, this is how I plan to run 14S in the xXx, with a 2S pack on top of the ducts right on CG.
BILLYDSRC is offline Find More Posts by BILLYDSRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:46 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,449 Posts
Got a delivery from Dreamworks today, so I got to do some more work on the xXx. Focused on landing gear today since I got a set of Pro-Link main struts, Intairco main wheel hubs and brakes as a part of this order, that meant I had some work to do getting the struts modified a bit to fit into the wing. Not too involved, but I had to cut off 15mm of the struts to get them short enough, before cutting I had to chuck them up in the lathe to extend the 1/2" dia. further down the leg, see pic for details. After that was done it was a simple job of cutting it and installing it all in the plane. Fit is pretty good, next up now is getting the gear doors hinged and installed, then it's more waiting for parts, namely getting the Lado door actuators to finish up the gear install. I also got the last missing pice for the nose gear, a steering arm so I also got that done.
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:53 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,806 Posts
holy cow AB top notch gear set up
hoser is offline Find More Posts by hoser
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:15 PM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Apr 2007
119 Posts
Nice work on the gear Arngier ! Good to have some trailing angle in the mains for those hard landings Have you done any fitting of your Fan tail tube ? It's looking like the horizontal stab tube may be in the way if fan tube is sized to match exit opening ? Not an expert on E-flux calculations and have always just sized my exit to match fuse. I want maximum flux on this baby though. Any recommendations ?
Paul Swy is offline Find More Posts by Paul Swy
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:46 PM
Germany, NRW, Gangelt
Joined Jan 2011
95 Posts
tube

Hello Paul,
The tail fin mount is not in the way of the tube.
I have installed a dual wall turbine tube and it sits perfectly.
easy jets is offline Find More Posts by easy jets
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:01 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,449 Posts
Paul,

exit diameter on the fuselage is much too large, even for my 5" Ramtec fan. The exit dia. is 105mm, and I will go for 95mm with this fan, well a bit less as it needs to fit inside a 95mm ID burner ring.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:42 PM
Its a Condition not Addiction
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Jul 2008
2,889 Posts
Finished up the main gear doors, and ailerons on one wing last night. Will post pictures later. One thing to note: Offset hinges will NOT work. Onlt piano style will work.

James
lashmett75 is offline Find More Posts by lashmett75
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:54 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,449 Posts
Yup, i have also come to that conclusion on the main geardoors, I wish JTM had put the hingeline a bit further out from the wingroot so using offset hinges would not be such a problem.

Got my Lado E-Doors today and have just got the nose geardoor actuator installed, I made up a pair of brackets from 3mm plywood which has been glued with Hysol. Also spent some time tinkering with the programming card, and once I got the hang of setting them up it was a breeze. My plan is to have the inner main doors close again after the gear is out and setting this up was pretty easy. No need for a sequencer, once they have been programmed they plug straight into the Rx.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:08 PM
Joined Apr 2007
119 Posts
Arngeir - Thanks for the tip on the fan exit tube diameter and the main door hinge . A burner ring with some vent holes would be good for airflow around the tube as well. I'm still planning on mounting my ESC top side of fan adapter - any more thoughts on cooling vents ?
Old Mar 08, 2013, 04:31 AM
Germany, NRW, Gangelt
Joined Jan 2011
95 Posts
sequencer

Finally some moving parts on my xXx.
Waiting for the struts to arrive..

xXx retracts (0 min 10 sec)
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:15 PM
Joined Apr 2007
119 Posts
Nice action on your nose gear - thanks for breaking the dead spell on this string. I'll probably have some updated pics for you guys Monday. I've done enough cutting on the fuse etc. to find that the paint adhesion is much improved on this jet over past JTM's I've worked on - no longer an issue. I've also mounted my tail servo's and it looks like the design intent is to mount the servo's to the fuse and put clearance holes in the stabs - which is what I did and it works great. Quick too - no mounting blocks to glue in etc.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:01 PM
Germany, NRW, Gangelt
Joined Jan 2011
95 Posts
pics

Here are some of my pics:

Weighed all the components.
Empty weight: 13 lbs
Fully fueled: 15.7 lbs
Turbine: 18lbs
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:15 PM
OHIO
Joined Aug 2009
1,607 Posts
Looking good Cliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy jets View Post
Here are some of my pics:

Weighed all the components.
Empty weight: 13 lbs
Fully fueled: 15.7 lbs
Turbine: 18lbs
BILLYDSRC is offline Find More Posts by BILLYDSRC
Old Mar 08, 2013, 02:43 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1,559 Posts
What. Turbine r u using???
And most importantly. Where did u get the thrust tube? Does jet teng provide thrust tubes for turbines???
pavlis is online now Find More Posts by pavlis
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:46 PM
Flying for Fun
Joined Aug 2007
25 Posts
Cliff,
That looks good with a turbine, for reference my Stumax 110 xXx weighs in at 17 pounds with batteries, right in the middle of your loaded vs. landing weights, couldn't ask for better. I'm still resisting the urge to put my Wren 100 in my xXx but then I fly her and the power of the Stumax keeps me convinced electric ain't so bad, just lacks the smell of power.
Jim
jetmodeler is offline Find More Posts by jetmodeler
Closed Thread