Closed Thread
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:28 AM
Germany, NRW, Gangelt
Joined Jan 2011
95 Posts
Good question!!

That is a very good question Arngeir.
The Ailerons only have one option... WING END

My gut feeling tels me root of the wing for the flaps but..
Your question is already in China.

Stay tuned,

Cliff
easy jets is offline Find More Posts by easy jets
Last edited by easy jets; Feb 13, 2013 at 10:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:39 AM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Apr 2007
119 Posts
Billy - Thanks for the tip on fan location. ESC if not mounted in motor fairing, should probably be mounted way back too ?
Paul Swy is offline Find More Posts by Paul Swy
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:47 AM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,444 Posts
I guess so, I will be using a YEP 180HV so I'm not sure if it will fit in my motor fairing, it is most likely too long. If it does not it will go on top of the duct just in front of the fan unit. I may add a couple of small NACA ducts on either side just behind the cockpit to feed it with fresh air if that is the location I end up with.
Arngeir Blakseth is online now Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:37 PM
Joined Apr 2007
119 Posts
I have to mount external to the motor fairing too, and was thinking about putting it in the same place. Let me know what you come up with for some additional cooling ducts. the NACA ducts sound like the way to go. I was also considering cutting a rectangle in the bottom of the belly just below the fan and letting the heatsink portion of the ESC protrude out the bottom - but I think there will be access and mounting issues putting it there.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:41 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,444 Posts
Access to the belly under the duct is ok as long as you open up the wing root of the fuselage, I cut open mine and used a Dremel sanding drum to make the holes follow the plywood rib glued to the inside of the fuselage.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:46 PM
OHIO
Joined Aug 2009
1,606 Posts
mmm
BILLYDSRC is offline Find More Posts by BILLYDSRC
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:52 PM
Joined Apr 2007
119 Posts
Yes, I think I can see them in one of your pics - kind of an oval slot ? Sounds like you are saying that you didn't cut into the root rib, just removed the outer skin to match an existing slot in the root rib ?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:58 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,266 Posts
ive snapped em pretty fast on my spark. well over 100 but not 150. ive seen pablo do some freaky snap moving really fast with an electra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
This is the fastest snap I've ever seen from a jet, check out the 2:00 minute mark, perhaps 125+ MPH give or take?

BVM Electra 3, Windows Media, High Definition, 171MB

Jack

nice vid!
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Last edited by stoneenforcer; Feb 13, 2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:59 PM
Joined Apr 2007
119 Posts
Any BLUE xXx sightings ?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:04 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Swy View Post
Yes, I think I can see them in one of your pics - kind of an oval slot ? Sounds like you are saying that you didn't cut into the root rib, just removed the outer skin to match an existing slot in the root rib ?
Yep, that's what I did. Here is a pic for you as well.
Last edited by Arngeir Blakseth; Feb 14, 2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:39 AM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,444 Posts
I have also started installing retracts, I had a set of Electron ER-40's I wanted to use, unfortunately this meant I had to grind and sand a bit on the mounting rails and the door opening to get them to fit properly. But I got one done now, so the other one will be easier as I know what to do. The only thing I'm not 100% satisfied with is that I had to grind down the 2mm fiberglass reinforcement on the retracts mounts to be able to get the retract and leg to fit under the wheel doors, but it was either that or not getting the doors to fit properly.

I also want to avoid air systems in this plane, so I was thinking about using LADO E-Doors for the doors, these are a bit large but it looks like there's just enough room to fit one in front of the wheel so I will give them a try. I also plan to use Robart 7/16" struts, and I had to cut these down as much as I could to get them short enough to fit, but it looks like it will turn out ok. Wheels will be 66mm Intairco for the mains, and a 57mm nosewheel.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:37 AM
Joined Apr 2007
119 Posts
That looks great. Fits nice. I like the fact that the wheel retracts into the wing rather than fuse. Will make it easier to assemble and disassemble at the field. Have you decided on a sequencer for the gear/doors ? Hobbyking sells a $14 unit that works great and is really easy to program. Can't remember the brand off hand though.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:57 PM
OHIO
Joined Aug 2009
1,606 Posts
Here is the sequencer for the gear/doors That i use. It works great ...
http://www.usarcjets.com/cgi-bin/sho...20-%20Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Swy View Post
That looks great. Fits nice. I like the fact that the wheel retracts into the wing rather than fuse. Will make it easier to assemble and disassemble at the field. Have you decided on a sequencer for the gear/doors ? Hobbyking sells a $14 unit that works great and is really easy to program. Can't remember the brand off hand though.
BILLYDSRC is offline Find More Posts by BILLYDSRC
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:12 PM
Joined Apr 2007
119 Posts
That's the one - Assan. Been using it in my small JTM Viper and it's been flawless. Really like the way you can control the speed, delay and travel on each servo. I "y" the two main doors together as you can only control 3 outputs. Gear, Door1, Door2. This requires one reversed servo, or non-symetrical servo mounting for the main doors.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:23 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,444 Posts
You don't need a sequencer with the Lado E-Doors, you program them with a Lado programmer, you can can set delays and if they are to close again or stay open after gear cycling with that so they just plug into the retract channel with a Y-connector. At least that is what their website says, so I hope it is that easy.
Closed Thread