HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:13 PM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Apr 2007
119 Posts
Yea, simple enough to avoid the sun and also note that my L-39 canopy is paper thin and so is more vulnerable. I'm sure this larger jet will have a heavier guage plastic. Easy test to take it outside and see how much it heats up. Also, I've removed lots of bad coates of tint, so if you decide to change it, a little laquer thinner and some paper towels will do the trick. She sure looks good with the blacked out canopy though.
Paul Swy is offline Find More Posts by Paul Swy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:20 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,044 Posts
I saw a guys canopy collapse on a big Composite ARF Rookie with super heavy plastic, so I think it can happen to any plane with a dark canopy. I just throw a towel over mine or put in a tent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Swy View Post
Yea, simple enough to avoid the sun and also note that my L-39 canopy is paper thin and so is more vulnerable. I'm sure this larger jet will have a heavier guage plastic. Easy test to take it outside and see how much it heats up. Also, I've removed lots of bad coates of tint, so if you decide to change it, a little laquer thinner and some paper towels will do the trick. She sure looks good with the blacked out canopy though.
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Last edited by Tumbler; Feb 12, 2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:05 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
I sometimes throw a towel over it and make a tent too :-|
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:26 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,825 Posts
:-p tmi
hoser is offline Find More Posts by hoser
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:37 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,458 Posts
Have started work on my xXx now, got the fan mounted and I can just say that a 5" fan definately is the limit as it is really tight getting my Ramtec fan down into the fuselage. But I bet it's going to rip on 14S.
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:56 PM
OHIO
Joined Aug 2009
1,644 Posts
I can wait to see were and how you going to get 14s in it I know it will fit just want to see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arngeir Blakseth View Post
Have started work on my xXx now, got the fan mounted and I can just say that a 5" fan definately is the limit as it is really tight getting my Ramtec fan down into the fuselage. But I bet it's going to rip on 14S.
BILLYDSRC is offline Find More Posts by BILLYDSRC
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:30 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,458 Posts
12S will go in front in between the inlets, and a 2S booster pack will sit on top of the inlet duct on CG, that way it is easy to switch between military power, or full burner

I have already checked, and there's lots of room for the Hyperion 6500 cells in the plane, I have one 7S and one 5S that will sit on top of each other in the front. And then the last 2S when I feel the need for speed...

Here's some pics of today's work, in addition to getting the fan mounted I also got the rudder servo installation done, ended up using a JR DS3421 for this one, same as I will be using on the elevators.
Last edited by Arngeir Blakseth; Feb 12, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:52 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Arngeir,

Have you decided to mount the fan more aft for balance?

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:54 PM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Apr 2007
119 Posts
Cool Arngeir - Nice to see some build in progress pics. I like the way you're mounting your stab servo's. Some of us will have to build vicariously thru you, since we don't have our kit's yet ...... Keep the photo's coming please ! Great idea for adding more power when you want it.
Paul Swy is offline Find More Posts by Paul Swy
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:10 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
Arngeir,

Have you decided to mount the fan more aft for balance?

Jack
Jack, the kit includes fan adapters that will add almost 2 1/2" to the installed ducts, so I have actually not moved the fan all that much extra aft, just a little bit. But yes, moving it a bit further back was done so I would not end up with a noseheavy plane with those heavy Hyperion 6500's up front.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:09 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,320 Posts
Arngeir, Nice work! I only got the blocks mounted for the elevators this last weekend. Life got in the way of doing any more than that and once again I'm out of town for work. Hopefully this weekend I will get more done.
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:59 PM
OHIO
Joined Aug 2009
1,644 Posts
Arngeir, I would say try to get the fan back as far as you can. The prototype was a bit nose heavy and i had to put the A123 pack in the tail of it to get the CG right
Your build is Looking good my man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arngeir Blakseth View Post
Jack, the kit includes fan adapters that will add almost 2 1/2" to the installed ducts, so I have actually not moved the fan all that much extra aft, just a little bit. But yes, moving it a bit further back was done so I would not end up with a noseheavy plane with those heavy Hyperion 6500's up front.
BILLYDSRC is offline Find More Posts by BILLYDSRC
Last edited by BILLYDSRC; Feb 13, 2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:00 AM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYDSRC View Post
Arngeir, I would say try to get the fan back as far as you can. The prototype was a bit noise heavy and i had to put the A123 pack in the tail of it to get the CG right
Your build is Looking good my man!!
How do batteries in the tail help against noise?

But I think I'll be fine, my fan is also heavier than your SM110, it weighs approx. 1100grams and my batteries (6500 Hyperions) weigh about the same as the XPS6800's you are using.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:41 AM
Germany, NRW, Gangelt
Joined Jan 2011
96 Posts
[QUOTE=Arngeir Blakseth;24121399]How do batteries in the tail help against noise?
QUOTE]

Never mind the spelling Arngeir,

Billy usually makes some typos when he works from his whorehouse.
easy jets is offline Find More Posts by easy jets
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:52 AM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,458 Posts
I've noticed that as well

I guess it should be mentioned for those out there wanting to build one of these that there is actually a plywood frame glued inside the base of the vertical on the fuselage, so it looks like JTM has planned for the rudder and elevator servos to be mounted in the same way, attached to the fuselage side and with the servo horn poking through the surfaces in a slot. So I did it the hard way attaching the servo to the removable vertical. There's also a balsa block inside the rudder at the base, so plenty of meat for the rudder horn to be glued into.

I have one question for you Clifford, is there balsa blocks also inside the flaps and ailerons for the horns, and where specifically are they located? Asking because it's possible to have the linkage either towards the root or tip of the wing, and it would be a shame to miss the balsa block when drilling into the flight surfaces.