SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:03 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,312 Posts
hardly! thats using ALL BVM gear! which is super light weight compared to what most are going to use in the XXX.

im gonna put a strong 120mm if I grab the X
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:22 PM
My Lipo is Bigger than Yours!
Chesterfield,Missouri
Joined Sep 2003
495 Posts
10 ounce difference IS comparable,what are you talking about?I got that info.off the BVM site,I don't care what they put in it,that is what it says,that is 10 ounce difference,what is your point?
gjmjoe017 is offline Find More Posts by gjmjoe017
Last edited by gjmjoe017; Jan 15, 2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:20 PM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Apr 2007
123 Posts
Billy - did the proto use the JTM struts/wheels ? Are the wheels inflateable ? Still think this will be the biggest weight issue if your planning to use them. I am, they are super high quality and I need the durability flying off petro tarp. Best way to save a few lbs is to fly shorter flights with smaller batts IMO - also take some time to balance without nose weight. If you have to add weight to balance it, you've failed.
Paul Swy is offline Find More Posts by Paul Swy
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined Nov 2004
42 Posts
Just a few thoughts as far as weight goes.
The Electra Arf as per BVM's website is $2495
The E-blue retracts for it are $1195, and that’s for wire struts.
That’s a total of $3690

The XXX sport jet as per Usarcjets.com is $1250
Electric retracts and struts are $700
That’s a total of $1950

That means that the XXX is $1740 less expensive than an Electra. I know they are very close in size but I really don’t see an extra pound, if thats what it ends up being, in a jet this size being the end of the world.
Just my 2 cents.
lyndon915 is offline Find More Posts by lyndon915
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:38 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,773 Posts
Bare Airframe Weigh Off: xXx vs. Electra

Having purchased both "ARF"s I can say with conviction that comparing the 2 is a little like comparing apples and oranges. The xXx is a true ARF, anybody can have the flying surfaces securely attached to the fuse within 30 minutes. I would classify the Electra as falling somewhere between an ARF and a Kit. In that the wings are finished and everything is painted but the fuse is hollow, just like a kit. Based on the procedure outlined in the manual I'm expecting it will take me over 20 hours to get to the point I'm at with the xXx after 30 minutes. When you add the hysol setup time and how much of the fuse you can fill before you have to wait for the installed parts to set up I'm sure I'll be at it for a few days.
MCSGUY is offline Find More Posts by MCSGUY
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:41 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,127 Posts
i thought 2 to 3 pounds sounded too high. I'll deal with an extra pound of weight for half the price
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:49 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,127 Posts
good point! My buddies have Electras, Bandits, Bobcats, and Kingcats and they are a ton of work. My buddy built his Comp ARF Flash way faster than his BVM Bandit. They are kits with pre-painted airframes haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGUY View Post
Having purchased both "ARF"s I can say with conviction that comparing the 2 is a little like comparing apples and oranges. The xXx is a true ARF, anybody can have the flying surfaces securely attached to the fuse within 30 minutes. I would classify the Electra as falling somewhere between an ARF and a Kit. In that the wings are finished and everything is painted but the fuse is hollow, just like a kit. Based on the procedure outlined in the manual I'm expecting it will take me over 20 hours to get to the point I'm at with the xXx after 30 minutes. When you add the hysol setup time and how much of the fuse you can fill before you have to wait for the installed parts to set up I'm sure I'll be at it for a few days.
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:57 PM
Joined Nov 2004
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
i thought 2 to 3 pounds sounded too high. I'll deal with an extra pound of weight for half the price
Im right there with ya. Hopefully my XXX should be in soon. Really looking forward to it.
lyndon915 is offline Find More Posts by lyndon915
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:41 PM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Apr 2007
123 Posts
Great comparison in build effort - don't forget the time spent to glue the canopy in - JTM does an awesome job with that.
Paul Swy is offline Find More Posts by Paul Swy
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:26 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,773 Posts
I was suprised the air frames came in the same at 6.5 lbs
MCSGUY is offline Find More Posts by MCSGUY
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:55 PM
My Lipo is Bigger than Yours!
Chesterfield,Missouri
Joined Sep 2003
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGUY View Post
I was suprised the air frames came in the same at 6.5 lbs
Wow,I guess the overall weight of the Electra airframe and the XXX airframe are comparable!
gjmjoe017 is offline Find More Posts by gjmjoe017
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:14 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,312 Posts
never mind... just repeating myself...
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:18 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,733 Posts
Msc guy what fan are you installing in the xxx.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:46 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,878 Posts
I love this plane and hope it does well. Has great looks and seems to be built well.

But lets not forget Rob Lynch has the second electra off the line, one of the prototypes and he flies the crap out of it for many years and its still going strong. I still want to see this plane perform with hard aerobatics for a flying season before I would spend my money on one. Also I still have not herd how it flies? Just herd it goes fast. How is the knife edge performance? Coupling? Hows it inverted? How about doing inverted spins? Does it recover well? These are things I would like to know about a plane before I buy it.

Billy you need to get one in Pablos hands for a while and see if he can break it. If it survives Pablos flying then its tested lol. Although Jim Hiller is a great stick also. How does Jim like it Billy? Cant wait to see this plane in the flesh at KYjets this year!
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:58 AM
OHIO
Joined Aug 2009
1,659 Posts
I believe he will be putting in a Stu 110mm in it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
Msc guy what fan are you installing in the xxx.
BILLYDSRC is offline Find More Posts by BILLYDSRC
Closed Thread