SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:23 AM
Chad deQuevedo of Olyphant, PA
United States, PA, Olyphant
Joined Aug 2012
573 Posts
Question
Traxxas Blast Frozen Motor. How did I do it?

I have been using my Blast on weekends for the past month and I have 4 batteries for it. The Traxxas stock 3000 mAh, a Venom 4200 and a 5000 and an Onix 5000. I only use the batteries once a day and I let the Blast dry out and cool down between runs for at least 15 minutes and then inspect it before the next run to make sure nothing is still hot. My least favorite battery is the Onix. It is heavy and the boat takes on a lot mote water when I use it. Also the Onix is the only battery where I am using a Molex to TRA connector.

On the 4th run of the day this past Sunday, my son was using the Onix when the motor suddenly died. We were on a boat, so we were able to retrieve it quickly. When we picked it up, there was way too much water in it. All the other runs that day took less than a minute to drain the excess water out the little hole I drilled in the front. It took close to 4 to drain it after what was not even a 5 minute run. I have tested everything else and the motor was the only dead part.

So here are my questions:
  • Even though all the other electronics are waterproof, can flooding still blow the motor?
  • Could using a Molex to TRA connector cause issues?
  • Even if the motor feels cool to my touch between runs, should I be limiting my runs to 2 to 3 a day?
  • Is it worth trying to repair the blown motor or should I just take it apart to show my kids how the motors work?

Thanks!
Micubano is offline Find More Posts by Micubano
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:06 AM
Gordonsville,Virginia
Joined Nov 2009
335 Posts
I don't know why you would have a hole drilled anywhere in the hull . That's just asking for water in the boat .But getting to your questions , I don't think the motor is shot unless you can smell smoke or you can't turn it over in which case just replace the bearings in the motor . You can run a motor under water without any harm . I think you will find ether the ESC or Receiver at fault , could even be both . Lots of guys think there equipment to be water proof only to find out to late it's not .If it's a brushed motor just hook up a one cell battery to it , if it turns it's good . If it's a brush less the you will need a spare ESC to test the motor . Also you can test the receiver by trying the steering servo . Also I was fooled once by a battery with one dead cell , so try another battery .
highflyerbill is offline Find More Posts by highflyerbill
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Aug 2012
573 Posts
The hole is not in the side of the hull. It is just a little 1/16" hole in the top of the boat right at the nose. Trust me, I wasn't keen on drilling a hole in my boat, but the manual told me to do so! When I take the boat out of the water I am supposed to hold the boat so the water drains out that little hole and not out the back over other parts inside boat, and I have been doing this. But if they are waterproof what does that matter? Anyway, only the Onix battery seems to draw water in somehow.

Like I said, I put in the new motor and everything is working fine again with a different battery (I am going to try and return the Onix). I haven't tried fixing the old motor yet, but I can tell you I have no continuity when I put my multimeter on the wires of the motor, but it turns fine. I think I will take that apart tonight and try to ring out where the disconnect is.

Thanks for the tips! I will add a 1 cell C rechargable battery to my toolbox for testing motors while away from the bench.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:36 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
Check the brushes on the motor, it could have nothing to do with getting wet and just a coincidence.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Aug 2012
573 Posts
It just hit me that I have had this under a month and it is not a heli that I just crashed. I have contacted Traxxas support to see what they can do and if it is under warranty.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Aug 2012
573 Posts
I called Traxxis today and their support was great. The Stinger is on backorder, but I will get a replacement when they are back in stock.
RCG Plus Member