HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by FeiJi, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Aug 2011
209 Posts
Discussion
Cost of Learning to Fly First Year - $24/hr

I added up the cost of planes, radios, materials ($500) and the total number of hours in the air (21) to arrive at a cost of about $24 per hour to learn to fly in my first year. That includes a computer radio and receivers, lipos, motors, escs, servos, sheets of epp foam, chargers, tools, etc. that I still have use of and two flyable wings.

So my second year of flying should be much less expensive. I had a RTF Cessna in which I used the gear to build foam scratchbuilts. Went through Nutball, UFO, 1B1M, Blucore Wing and my own design to get here with numerous crashes and one lost plane but am very satisfied with my progress.

I have finally gotten the Cessna together with a brushless motor and lipo and new radio and will maiden it tomorrow - taking the long way around.
FeiJi is offline Find More Posts by FeiJi
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FeiJi; Sep 03, 2012 at 10:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:49 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,113 Posts
Not bad! I learned that it cost more to get bored when flying than learning to fly
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shooting my AR pistol