SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:04 PM
My cat moderates better
Australia, QLD, Worongary
Joined Apr 2011
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl1864 View Post
I'd be pretty concerned about this. Sure replacing the part is cheap, but considering its a part that holds a $300 camera, it could cost a lot. Especially if the gopro was being used as an fpv camera, then you loose the plane too. Or if you make a motor mount, or control linkage that fails.
It broke because I can't do aerobatics for shyte and smacked it into the ground quite hard. It's otherwise more than strong enough.

F550 local park FPV flight, and crash (9 min 5 sec)
BillzillaAus is offline Find More Posts by BillzillaAus
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:55 AM
Australia
Joined Oct 2000
1,221 Posts
They have few of those 3D printers on demo in last week Model Engineering Show at Monash Uni. They have 2 units ..smaller unit with a small feeder cost around $1200, bigger unit about $1700. They sell it locally. Cant remember the name of the co. if u need it is in their show catalogue.
MartinL is offline Find More Posts by MartinL
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Jan 2010
494 Posts
I'm seriously thinking about buying a 3D printer soon. Looking in the $500 range. After much reading, it seems like my best choices will be either Solidoodle or PrintRbot.

I just heard that Makezine is going to have a huge detailed 3d printer shootout/comparison coming up sometime this november, so I'll eagerly wait for that article to help decide.
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:06 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,504 Posts
Talking with a friend last week he uses a 3d printer to make a master pattern from wich plastic dies are are made then those dies are installed into a injection moulder that uses a 2 part urethane mix to mass produce parts,not the cheapest way to produce though as the cycle times are in minutes not seconds.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:27 PM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,844 Posts
I see UP have finished tweeking the mini printer (120 x 120 x120) and it's available through the australasian distributor at a fairly reasonable price. I've been considering getting one for a while to do boom clamps, holders etc. I do 3D opto/electromechanical design work as part of my Job. Would have been nice to have one while my boy was recovering from his surgery. He spent a lot of time putting together different small scale lego cars. Would be good to get him designing and printing his own parts (he is 11). He is a car freak.

I have a new motor holder (20mm boom end) design (doubled with CF plates I really want to print up.

Mark
KCV6 is online now Find More Posts by KCV6
Last edited by KCV6; Oct 11, 2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:39 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,166 Posts
+ 1

I've been teaching my 10 year old daughter to learn Google Sketch up in preparation for delivery of the Solidoodle2
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:53 PM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,844 Posts
I think (other than how much use I could put it too) it would be fantastic for him. He is so enthusiastic about design, which I have no issues with at all, keeps him off the playstation. LOL.

If you ever need anything modeled up and dumped in STL I'd be happy to give it a crack. Stops me from smoking and drinking coffee at lunchtime. LOL

Mark
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:18 PM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
Sounds like you missed the chance to justify the purchase to other family members Mark

I would love one of these things, would just mean I would have learn how to do cad stuff. I like your style Psionic001, might have to get my son learning the same!
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:36 PM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,844 Posts
Stu, I'm still working on it. LOL

Got the medical bill breakdown for the last few months and I still have at least one more surgery to go. almost 20,000 saved due to health cover. Perhaps that means I can spend a grand.

Mark
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:32 PM
The Mantis is on its way
Australia, VIC, Rowville
Joined Jan 2012
630 Posts
Mark, going to PM you.
windoze killa is offline Find More Posts by windoze killa
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:38 AM
DONT TELL THE WIFE !!!
Newcastle, NSW Australia
Joined Oct 2009
83 Posts
I got one an "eventorbot" printer coming next month.
$520, just need to make a frame. $0
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...rce-3d-printer
thren is offline Find More Posts by thren
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Jan 2010
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thren View Post
I got one an "eventorbot" printer coming next month.
$520, just need to make a frame. $0
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...rce-3d-printer
Just looked it up, this one also looks very promising. I like the clean looks and single arm design. Adding it to my possibility list.

I'd be curious to know what things in particular made you choose this one, vs any of the others?
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:41 PM
DONT TELL THE WIFE !!!
Newcastle, NSW Australia
Joined Oct 2009
83 Posts
The design was a primary reason why I went with this one. I can see the benefits in the the rigidity of the design and all the axis are fixed together. Building it is not complicated and it looks sexy. (something that will make it easier for my missus to accept)
Price at this start up stage also came into play, for the $520 Im spending, (yes I will need to make the frame) it looked like the best thing for the money. Also being open source Im sure there will be lots of upgrades by others if not myself down the way. For example the extruder bracket comes ready for a second extruder. (not that I think I need it) but I like the way the designer thinks ahead.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:08 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,504 Posts
Do any of these have a control needle in the nozzle ?
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:58 AM
DONT TELL THE WIFE !!!
Newcastle, NSW Australia
Joined Oct 2009
83 Posts
simple answer is .....no
Im not sure of the question..the feed is controlled by a stepper motor. and the nozzle has a set aperture.

Just told the missus I bought a $500 printer.........she wanted to know why, told her....
She can remember the first printer I got.......a dot matrix for $1200 years ago...
evidently this one does not rate a "please explain"

For the record.............I love my missus.
Last edited by thren; Oct 14, 2012 at 05:05 AM.