HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:03 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by txg8gxp View Post
I picked up some linkage stuff and 2 s3114 servos today for the flap mod. I have had great luck flying with different chamber setting on this plane so I can't wait to add flaps. Once they are installed I will reprogram my radio for fully adjustable reflex/chamber, flaps and crow.
One of the big reasons I'm considering the Calypso is because of its flap system. I recently acquired a JR X9303 Native 2.4 (no modules) Sailplane Version and am dying to get some of its tricks into play & experiment with. It's almost funny how, ever since getting the JR, every plane I've been considering can't fully exploit its capabilities.

Aside @Pete & txg8gxp:
I was in a Michael's Arts & Crafts store a couple weekends ago & they were laying in some new airbrush paints. I picked up a bottle each of blaze orange & chartreuse so bright that, I swear with all the lights out in the house you can HEAR 'em! I hope they will hold up under the sun's UV, which is usu. the downside of that category of hues.

Oh, one more thing @ txg8gxp: I have an old buddy who swears by 'hot pink'. He makes underwing circles with 'Duck' brand tape, says it pops out like nothing he's ever seen. But me & pink? *heh heh* Can't make myself do it.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
For me, neon greens and neon pinks really stand out. When i finally order my blaster 3 DLG it will be in one of those colors, I'm leaning towards neon pink. The main reason I have been going over board on setup options with flap/chamber/reflex/crow on my calypso is just like you said, to really learn my radio. I have a 8FG super that seems like it can do anything and everything. I totally love the futaba. From what I understand you should be able to do whatever you want with the 9303 aswell.
txg8gxp is offline Find More Posts by txg8gxp
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:58 AM
Joined Sep 2012
146 Posts
Having a Radian Pro my Calypso did not seem to float as well so I've been working to reduce her weight. Swapping the motor for a Hacker 20-22 helped reduce weight quite a bit, due to weight I decided not to add in the flaps because I want a floaty bird.
Guardian7 is offline Find More Posts by Guardian7
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:06 AM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jan 2011
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian7 View Post
Having a Radian Pro my Calypso did not seem to float as well so I've been working to reduce her weight. Swapping the motor for a Hacker 20-22 helped reduce weight quite a bit, due to weight I decided not to add in the flaps because I want a floaty bird.
In my experience with the Calypso and experimenting with the weight, I believe you will have better luck installing the flaps and setting up your radio to increase lift through adjusting the camber of the wing. The Radian has more built-in camber than the Calypso.

-Randy
Westranm is online now Find More Posts by Westranm
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:45 PM
United States, AL, Smiths Station
Joined Oct 2011
28 Posts
A little bit of flap works great to keep her in the air, alot and she stops. I've got mine dialed in to where my landing are so slow I hav a 6 ft role out. Flpas down, aelerons up and she lands anywhwere I want.
I'm getting about 30minutes on one 1500mah battery with aout 4 climbs to altitude. Only trim I have is for full throttle ther is down elevator mixed in, other than that everything is straight.
Good flyer, does everything you ask and stays in the air.
Feldmarshal1
feldmarshal1 is offline Find More Posts by feldmarshal1
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:55 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian7 View Post
But remember when you lighten that motor you have (usually) to make CG concessions. Have you tried 'er (balancing) with the Hacker & what'd you have to do?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:08 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,829 Posts
Hi, SH.

We haven't connected in a while so I'm risking an OT post.

I've been playing with motors. I still like the SK3 2836 but have become a real fan of the Turnigy 2834 1250 kv. I have yet to find a motor that can match it's power to weight, 66 grams, ratio at any price so the SK3 has become my "back up motor". I've been flying my Yak 54 with the HK motor and, with a 11X4.7 prop, it hovers at around 1/3rd throttle and gives me 9 minutes of hard 3D flying with a 2200mah 25C battery. Now I just need to find the perfect glider for my second 2834. I'm torn between a Esprit Model's Pegasus and a Fly Fly DG-1000. I'm guessing that any glider under 1500 grams should climb as high as I want it in under 10 seconds!

BTW. Even with the stock motor I have found it hard to get the CG back far enough on the Calypso. I think a lighter motor with a bigger prop is the way to go.

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:08 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
BTW. Even with the stock motor I have found it hard to get the CG back far enough on the Calypso. I think a lighter motor with a bigger prop is the way to go.

Cheers!
That being the case, sounds like the lighter motor would fit right in with your scheme of things. Good move.
(Slight tack: What's best source for Hacker pricing & availability -- or are they pretty much 'price controlled' too?)

Funny too -- a couple of lines from a couple of my recent HK orders:
109773 4ea OK HK2834-1250 - HobbyKing 2834 Brushless Outrunner 1250K..
...2037 4ea Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 2836-1040kv Brushless Outrunner Motor (USA warehouse)
Looks like we've been sniffing up the same trees!
Gonna be sending some samples to Dr. Kiwi to test, rate, & of course add to his database, so stay tuned ....

By the by - if you start to go for the FlyFly 1000 let me know & maybe we can team up for a double buy/shipment? Been sniffin' round that way for awhile, too.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Feb 26, 2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:09 PM
Puerto Rico, Mayagüez
Joined Jan 2011
61 Posts
Hi guys!, I have my Calypso setup with my Spektrum DX7. What I did was plug the flaps with a "Y" to the Gear channel and left the flaperons active. As the DX7 has 3 flap positions I can have "up" flaperons (spoilers), "normal" or "down", while the flaps are on a separate channel so that I can have crow/butterfly, etc. Everyone at our club loved this glider!!! Right now its very windy here in PR and while most of them are grounded I'm actually having a blast!!
HARD DRYVE is offline Find More Posts by HARD DRYVE
Last edited by HARD DRYVE; Mar 04, 2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 07:07 PM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
Nice upgrade Dave.

I was wondering if the flaps could now be reflexed "UP" for spoilers? On a lot of high-dollar gliders, the flaps are reflexed up slightly to increase straight line speed when traveling between thermals and then deflected upward a lot to kill lift and come down quickly.

With your 9C and many other TXs, you can link the individual flap servos to ailerons and have flapperons and spoilerons. Of course you will need a different receiver with more channels so each flap servo could be plugged into a different channel.

McD
generally if you reflex up the faps alone you will increase the speed but also create a NASTY tip stall (due to the upward flaps creating a wash-in effect) so usually people put the flaps and ailerons upwards, with the ailerons even with or slightly higher than the flaps.
baconflyer is offline Find More Posts by baconflyer