Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
Great photograph and caption!

You said it!!
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:20 AM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
488 Posts
Wow what a bargain! I could have a dark blue Helldiver w/box just like I had as a youngster... OR... a like new P-40 with a like new box... for the "paltry" price of $499 each!

Shame I played my plastic planes to death! I could have retired early!
LA Ming is offline Find More Posts by LA Ming
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:55 AM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
Wow what a bargain! I could have a dark blue Helldiver w/box just like I had as a youngster... OR... a like new P-40 with a like new box... for the "paltry" price of $499 each!

Shame I played my plastic planes to death! I could have retired early!
Try a Pogo, or a B-25, or a Cox maroon Comanche, that IS high roller stuff.
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:35 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,364 Posts
I committed the unthinkable act of flying one of my Turbojets again today (three times). The old Wen Mac .049 now starts up very quickly and reliably, and runs quite well.

Still fighting dizziness on the 15 foot lines (per the original instructions), but it is starting to get better.

Very easy to fly and land.

A few more days like this, and I will get brave and take the A-24 out and fly it.

Still need to go through the engine on the P-39 and get it flying.

LA Ming,

"Wow what a bargain! I could have a dark blue Helldiver w/box just like I had as a youngster... "

I just snagged a Cox A-25 (Army/green version of the Helldiver). I have a Helldiver somewhere in a box, but I believe it is the light blue version. The light blue ones seem to show up a lot more frequently than the dark blue ones-I don't know which is the earlier version. The A-25 will not be flown.
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Last edited by Ah Clem; Nov 06, 2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:11 AM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
488 Posts
Hi again Ah Clem.

My Helldiver was the dark blue one. Recall it having the parachuting pilot... can't remember if it had bomb drop, too? I do remember the arresting hook... but don't remember how it was actuated. My Helldiver was the best looking of all the Cox planes I owned. Awesome model.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,364 Posts
The Wen Mac A-24 has now flown. I put three flights on it, in an absolutely dead calm. Can't do a lot with it, but it flies very well and is very easy to fly.

I did not try dropping the bomb as it does not have a scratch on it and I was flying over pavement.

Landings were smoother and quieter with the early Wen Mac version with the rubber wheels, than the later Testors version (I had the dark blue Testors Dauntless as a kid) with the plastic wheels.

I am still getting dizzy on the recommended 15 foot lines, but it is getting better.

On the last two flights, the engine started on the first try, which was pretty cool.

Edit:

Make that four more flights today, so the old A-24 has seven flights on it now!
Last edited by Ah Clem; Nov 17, 2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:05 AM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOW-Rare-Vin...40885449522%26

This one will go high as a kite.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:25 AM
Joined Mar 2005
3,364 Posts
I agree!

They are worth a fortune-that one is in the original box, so it will go very high, I think.

I have to look to see if I have one left in the garage (so far, I have found one wing).

The ink on the stickers ran when glow fuel contacted them, and the BD-5 was, IMHO, fairly hard to fly, compared to the other Testors/Wen Mac machines. An in tact and complete BD-5is quite hard to find.

Thank you for posting that-it is good to see one again!
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Skylon!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rare...vip=true&rt=nc
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:57 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
488 Posts
I had one of those! Mine was clear plastic. Mom and Dad bought it as one of my Christmas presents along with my Super Cub back in the late 50's. It was cool!
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:11 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
488 Posts
Wow... are these rare? This is the first blue Skyraider I've seen:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-COX-...item1c2e1c9c12
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
I had one of those! Mine was clear plastic. Mom and Dad bought it as one of my Christmas presents along with my Super Cub back in the late 50's. It was cool!
There were indeed clear ones. Nylon in it's normal state is crystal clear, they have to add dyes to it to get any color, including white.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Wow... are these rare? This is the first blue Skyraider I've seen:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-COX-...item1c2e1c9c12
I don't recall ever seeing any but the gray ones myself.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,364 Posts
I have only ever seen the gray Skyraider, also.

I had heard that a blue one was made, but never saw so much as a photograph until you posted that ebay add.

Thanks for posting that!

For the last couple of weeks, I have had the engine apart on a Cox PT .020. The backplate is plastic, with a the usual screen in the back. This one must have been stored with the engine full of fuel, as the venturi passage was completely plugged. The reed had some sort of corrosion damage and had a hole in it. If it was the usual metal backplate, I could have used something caustic on it, but I did not want to dissolve the plastic.

I used alcohol, then a bit of my lovely wife's nail polish remover (I was concerned with that damaging the plastic, as well). Finally I removed the screen and picked some of the crud out with a dental pic. The thing that ultimately unplugged it was an ear syringe full of scalding hot, soapy water.

I put it back together (with a new reed) and fired it up today. It started up without too much trouble and ran pretty well. The exhaust throttle worked pretty good too.

This one will should fly soon.

I will try to post a picture later this week.
Last edited by Ah Clem; Dec 02, 2012 at 10:55 PM.