HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:59 PM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Discussion
Complete noob to sailplanes. About to buy my first one, help and suggestion welcome

I've been looking at gilders and sailplane for past couple of weeks but I really don't have much money to spend on the hobby right now. I ran across Canary SQ glider on HK and was wondering if anyone has any advise for it or against it. At $40, I really don't think I can go wrong but I'd like to have opinion from people who know this stuff before I buy anything.
I'm not even sure between the differences between gliders and sailplanes so if someone could confirm that this plane would work with hand launch, I'd really appreciate it

Thanks
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:42 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,294 Posts
Not gonna happen.... confirmation that it is a good flying sailplane.. or hand launch.

But hey, it's only 40 bucks, who cares?..
it's such a small amount of money.
Right?

If you agree, buy it.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Oct 2004
624 Posts
I assume it's a slope ship. It's kinda' cool looking actually .do you have a slope available to you to throw it off , into the breeze with a landing site behind you ?. If you do , take a picture of it , post it here and you'll get more feedback than you ever imagined possible . Most of it constructive
Best of luck , it's a great sport
jetmaven is offline Find More Posts by jetmaven
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:19 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmaven View Post
I assume it's a slope ship. It's kinda' cool looking actually .do you have a slope available to you to throw it off , into the breeze with a landing site behind you ?. If you do , take a picture of it , post it here and you'll get more feedback than you ever imagined possible . Most of it constructive
Best of luck , it's a great sport
It's touted as a thermal flyer.

You could slope just about anything.
Yes, that would slope.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:26 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
This appears to be a fling knock-off. Based on the specs it weighs over 8 ounces before you put your electronics in it. It will likely be close to 11 ounces which is kinda heavy for a thermal shop on a 1.2 M wing. I would not expect it to thermal very well. Could be fun on the slope.

So add the cost of servos, receiver, battery to your $40, and of course the radio and a hi-start. I don't know how much of that you already have.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:40 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,162 Posts
welcome to soaring. In my opinion the most rewarding kind of flying. Have you flown anything before? If you havent, make sure someone helps you. That plane may be a good starter glider, you'll probably want something else as time goes on.

Whats the difference between a glider and a sailplane? Easy- its a sailplane when its going up, and a glider when its coming down
jzanutto is offline Find More Posts by jzanutto
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:49 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzanutto View Post
welcome to soaring. In my opinion the most rewarding kind of flying. Have you flown anything before? If you havent, make sure someone helps you. That plane may be a good starter glider, you'll probably want something else as time goes on.

Whats the difference between a glider and a sailplane? Easy- its a sailplane when its going up, and a glider when its coming down
No, that plane is a piece of crap for thermals and soaring... and will only frustrate the glider pilot... and probably turn him off of the hobby completely.

It will slope.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:10 PM
Koo
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
I own a skywalker, radjet, and a bixler. I just thought it would be really cool to fly without any power source and without breaking my bank
I got few hxt900s and extra receivers so the only additional purchase I need to make is another ubec.
Kenny Sharp, mind explaining yourself? I'm kind of confused by what you are saying
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:58 PM
Fallin with Style (slopeing)
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Aug 2011
134 Posts
In my opinion get a weasel pro. They are very forgiving, ive crashed mine to many times to count and it still flys great. Also it is just a newer version of what i learned to fly on and taught my dad how to fly with. Its an amazing flyer.
=DH=
Donny Harwood1 is offline Find More Posts by Donny Harwood1
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:34 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,012 Posts
Weasel Pro sure LOOKS like a slope ship. If you want to go slope flying, maybe that's ok.

If you want to go thermal flying, IMHO, you should pick something that has at least 6 feet of wing span, and 8 would be better. If you have any RC auctions coming up in your area, that's a good place to look, though you should check for workmanship and alignment. If you see any Gentle Ladies, Sig Risers (either size), or (my favorite) Olympic 2's at the auctions, those are good choices. You can also build those from kits. The Risers are probably the best deals.

Hand launch is a tough way to go until you have a bit of a clue about thermals and choose something that flies at least ok. Using a high start is better. That's a long piece of rubber and fish line with a parachute on the end.

You won't need a UBEC, just use 4 nicad or nimh cells. 500 mah is enough, though if you need nose weight, more is better.

Lots of people go with the Radian (original, not Pro), but this is kind of over your budget, I guess.

If you have balsa around, you could scratch build something. Lots of plans out there for free. Ask for advice about which one.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:48 AM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
I think you would get better feedback if you gave us a little more information. What type of flying do you want to do, slope, thermal, hand launch? What is your budget? Absolute cheapest or under x amount? Do you have any interest in building a kit or does it need to be arf/rtf? Assuming thermal what launch method are you going to be using and do you need to purchase it as well?

Regarding the Canary you can find people that really like it and those that really hate it. Kenny is saying that it would work OK for slope but not thermal or hand launch. Most people that like them are up/high starting them. There is a thread about it here on rcg: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=canari
Another option would be the Great Planes Fling which comes with a mini high start. http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1060.html

If your looking into thermal find a club in the area. You will probably find people have planes you can borrow or purchase for cheap.
UberZogster is offline Find More Posts by UberZogster
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:01 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,294 Posts
I did check out the thread that was posted... pretty much what we all are saying here.

It will slope... but no real happiness regarding catching thermals has been reported.

Also the kit is a bit lacking, but you shouldn't have any trouble with that.

So go for it if you have a slope... or even a hi start will let you glide around some... it seems you could even put a small motor on it.

But hey, since you asked, I figured we should at least be honest with you.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:06 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,294 Posts
You also might want to consider the fact that the early flight report posts were never followed up on.

I'm thinking that these planes tend to meet an early demise... just a suspicion though.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:04 AM
Koo
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Thanks guys. I don't think that the canary is right option for me. I just sold $125 worth of gold in an online game I used to play so I guess I have a new budget I was looking at Dynaflite Bird of Time and people seem to have pretty good luck with it.
http://www.hobbywarehouse.com/Dynafl...-Sailplane-Kit
The stats are
SPECS: Wingspan: 118" (3000mm)
Wing Area: 1070" (69 sq dm)
Wing Loading: 5.5 oz/sq ft (17g/sq dm)
Weight: 41oz (1160g)
Fuselage Length: 49 in (1245g)
Airfoil: Flat-bottom Polyhedral-Wing
Engine Down Thrust:
Engine Right Thrust:
Wing Incidence: +2?
Its quite heavy but I would be getting a ton more lift with this one than the tiny canary
I realized I have a slight problem, there really aren't any hills around me since Ohio is really lame and full of cornfields.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:19 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,436 Posts
koo29:

A BoT is sure one of the classics, alright. It's not heavy for its size.

Like some others, I would suggest getting a Hi-start as well, for launching. Stretch it out, and let the airplane go. A BoT will go right on up without any help from you.

The real best bet is this, though: find some local people who fly, and get with them. It is very, very hard to do this by yourself. Ohio has lots of soaring people - I mean, how far can you be from Dayton, home of the Wright Brothers?

When I was a toddler, my father was in the test pilot school at Wright-Pat, and the big thing then among the students was refurbishing and flying war surplus gliders. I remember going up on the lap of my Dad's buddy, while my Dad flew the glider. I can recall the tow plane, circling around a factory chimney, and even the slide down to a landing across the airport fence. Soaring is alive and well in Ohio.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang