HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:02 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,351 Posts
Looking pretty spectacular.

I think the plane will be OK, as it won't be flying all that fast anyway.
They'll be able to tell if they need to stiffen it up any here or there.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:03 PM
Envies his own avatar
Albuquerque, NM
Joined May 2008
594 Posts
As for carbon fiber arrow shafts for spars, the local archery shoppe has a bucket of old arrows that are a buck or two each--depending on who's working the register. Some are smaller diameter and will fit nicely inside some of the larger diameter shafts--making nice wing joiners. You have to rummage through the bin to find what you want.
--Rocky
rockyabq is offline Find More Posts by rockyabq
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:12 AM
Young Poor and Fun
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2012
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Looking pretty spectacular.

I think the plane will be OK, as it won't be flying all that fast anyway.
They'll be able to tell if they need to stiffen it up any here or there.
Scrubmonkey, Earlwb,

Thanks for the comments,

We'll play it by ear how flimsy it gets, I hope the coro with ribs will be stiff enough.
Y.P.F. is offline Find More Posts by Y.P.F.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:18 AM
Young Poor and Fun
Joined Sep 2012
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyabq View Post
As for carbon fiber arrow shafts for spars, the local archery shoppe has a bucket of old arrows that are a buck or two each--depending on who's working the register. Some are smaller diameter and will fit nicely inside some of the larger diameter shafts--making nice wing joiners. You have to rummage through the bin to find what you want.
--Rocky
Thanks for the Tip Rockyabq,

My boyfriend called up the archery shop, they're selling carbon arrow shafts for $5.80 ea. My boyfriend also called the archery range to see if I could have some of the lost / found arrows but no luck. He found some online for $4 /ea (hopefully shipping is actually free) that we may go with. Thus far we've spent $23 so the arrows would make up a big chunk of our little budget, still doable.

Do you think 31" arrow shafts will work for 44" wings without too much flop on the tips?
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:59 AM
Young Poor and Fun
Joined Sep 2012
101 Posts
Slow going

My Boyfriend and I have had a time figuring out how to cut and bend the fuselage, we didn't want to make four cuts to have the flutes remain straight and have a good taper so we'll just cut the larger piece wrap around creating a curved top and sides. We'll attach a separate bottom piece after the fuse bending and ribs are done. I've attached pics of what we've got going on thus far.

Lots to think about: how to attach struts, how to attach the wings together, how to mount the fuse & wings, what to use for cheap / free wheels and landing gear . . . .
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:22 AM
Envies his own avatar
Albuquerque, NM
Joined May 2008
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y.P.F. View Post
Do you think 31" arrow shafts will work for 44" wings without too much flop on the tips?
I'd guess they might work just fine.
As with most things SPAD, try it and see!
Good luck!
rockyabq is offline Find More Posts by rockyabq
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:09 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
Its not the folding really that id be worried about. It would be the twisting. It would be constantly changing in the amount of washout it has. I wouldnt accurately be able to reccomend anything unless i was actually there.
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:04 AM
Young Poor and Fun
Joined Sep 2012
101 Posts
Weigh In

We've constructed a primitive scale using cat food, grocery bags, yardsticks and twine.
Our
wings are slightly different weights varying from 11-13oz. Total wings is 47oz, tail and rudder is 6oz, fuse is 30oz for a grand total of 83oz | 5.18lbs. It's lighter than expected at this point! We're trying to keep this thing light, hopefully we can manage not to add anything too heavy and not miss our goal of 8lbs.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:13 AM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
Rc gear adds up quickly.
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:16 AM
Young Poor and Fun
Joined Sep 2012
101 Posts
Fuse Progress

We've made some progress on the fuselage, although not very much as my boyfriend, Paul, had class for most of the night. Cleaning the political sign with brake cleaner took off much of whatever paint that was on the coroplast, it got a little messy. We've got three fuselage ribs in and have one, maybe two to go. It was a pain holding in position, under pressure while Paul taped and glued in the ribs; it took ~ 10 minutes each. We're looking forward to our progress this weekend.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:03 AM
Call me Frosty
Lawton, Oklahoma - USA
Joined Sep 2004
397 Posts
E-6000 glue or Amazing Goop glue work good to glue formers into the fuse like you have there. It might save weight because you don't have to use tape too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y.P.F. View Post
We've made some progress on the fuselage, although not very much as my boyfriend, Paul, had class for most of the night. Cleaning the political sign with brake cleaner took off much of whatever paint that was on the coroplast, it got a little messy. We've got three fuselage ribs in and have one, maybe two to go. It was a pain holding in position, under pressure while Paul taped and glued in the ribs; it took ~ 10 minutes each. We're looking forward to our progress this weekend.
TheRealFrosty is offline Find More Posts by TheRealFrosty
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:23 AM
Young Poor and Fun
Joined Sep 2012
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealFrosty View Post
E-6000 glue or Amazing Goop glue work good to glue formers into the fuse like you have there. It might save weight because you don't have to use tape too.

Thanks for the advice on the glue, hopefully the clear / white gorilla glue will work too. we're doing the firewall / motor mount differently than the other fuse ribs.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:40 AM
Young Poor and Fun
Joined Sep 2012
101 Posts
Over-Budget

We spent most of the day on Hobby-King.com figuring out what we needed.
We decided on an NTM 50-50, 2,000W 22.2V 480KV motor that should do 13.5lbs (6.15Kg) of thrust. We got a YAK 100A speed control w/ BEC, a small 22.2V battery (with a high C rating) and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff including carbon fiber rods to stiffen the tail.

The total was about $130 today combined with $23 in tape, glue and sticks from earlier and we are over-budget. We still plan on buying carbon arrow shafts for $24 so we'll be $27 over.

Our weight is projected to be about 8.19lbs. Hopefully we wont miss the weight mark by as much as we did the budget.
Last edited by Y.P.F.; Sep 09, 2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:20 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
Looks like it's coming together nicely though. What about landing gear & wheels? That can add a good bit of weight as well.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:56 PM
Young Poor and Fun
Joined Sep 2012
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
Looks like it's coming together nicely though. What about landing gear & wheels? That can add a good bit of weight as well.
Right now we're looking at using thick wire and making tires out of coro and bike inner-tubes. They might be too flimsy. We've also thought of using toy wheels.

JohnsPop, do you have any good ideas on building cheap, light landing gear?
Last edited by Y.P.F.; Sep 10, 2012 at 03:36 PM.