HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RHTizzy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:14 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Bussum
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
Discussion
limp batteries

Got my 3rd flight in today and can happily share that the quad flies! It appears though that the 2200 15c batteries are indeed way underpowered for the job and within a minute or two the quad starts showing an ever increasing height oscillation and has trouble staying up on roll or pitch. Within 3 or 4 minutes it's reduced to a hopper that can hardly clear the ground.

I still had a few 1300mAh batteries from my ARdrone times which are 30C and they actually last longer and give more power (ie better throttle response) than the 2200's! Connecting 2 actually gives almost 5 minutes of actual control but obviously the quad needs tuning and control is perhaps too big a word. In fact, without level, mag and baro active it's almost impossible not to crash as the quad is extremely sensitive to the controls and has a tendency to rocket off in whatever direction I twitch the sticks. But with these power problems there's no point in trying to tune anything so I'll be waiting for my replacement 2450 30c's before I can get started with any serious flying.

About the batteries, I went for the smallest size and weight which I thought would have enough juice to sustain at least 60% of max amps for a few minutes, but I'm thinking maybe I should order some bigger ones. Tricky though as bigger also means heavier, any recommendations?

Anyways, I've locktite'd the motors and frame so that should be fine for a while. How do I get them loose though, is it enough to put some heat on it with a heat gun?
RHTizzy is offline Find More Posts by RHTizzy
to remove ads between posts